ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best game of the night?

HS/Herm!
Herm might be reloading this year, but y'all better not take them too lightly. In a nutshell, their defense is fast and are able to stop the run which ever way you want to take it! they don't have much in the way of a passing game, but that qb (Winborn), he's real fast on his feet. He did the most damage against us running the ball.
HS was shaky last night. Couldn't get a decent running game going and they were determined to do just that! In the 3rd qtr., Carter connected on a 55 yd bomb down the sideline that was caught an ran in for a td. That made the score 14-0. On Herm's next possession, that qb of theirs, ran through and around our defensive front numerous times then, he connected on a td toss to cap off a quick 80 yd drive making the score 14-7
HS made it 21-7 soon after that. Herm just couldn't catch us, but they wouldn't go away!!! It was a fun game as hot as it was!!!
Go Springers!!! We have another tough matchup next Friday too. At home against Norview.
I know Coach J and staff have some work to do this coming week and I'm confident they will get'r done!

Herm tied it up 14 all but they were penalized for a chop block which wiped the score off. If Herm's QB can get better chemistry with his receivers then they'll be hard to beat. Springers looked good. Herm shot themselves in the foot a couple of times. Definitely worth the traffic and $7 admission!

Reactions: springer76
I know this is the 5A board, but since it's dead I'll say If you like nail-biters with D1 prospects, punt returns, good defense, 2 minute drills, big pass plays now and then, and bruising running backs, Sherando/Louisa was the game to see. Sherando had a very nice 2 minute drill to end the first half, then Louisa did the same to end the game. And admission was only $5.

Last edited:
Well, you just have to figure the Battlefield/Hylton triple overtime game had to have been one heck of a game. At least when the OT's started.

Last edited:
Reactions: springer76
I heard that as well. Who won the OWUSU/HUNTER battle?
owusu 75 yd td reception/run to retake the lead with 2 min remaining over 160yds receiving and beast on D. Bethels D is strong. 2 blocked xtra points the difference. Hunter had good game but not great 110yds rushing TD

Herm tied it up 14 all but they were penalized for a chop block which wiped the score off. If Herm's QB can get better chemistry with his receivers then they'll be hard to beat. Springers looked good. Herm shot themselves in the foot a couple of times. Definitely worth the traffic and $7 admission!
Hey Danville, the game was a dandy, but I want to lay a heads up to anybody going to Hermitage HS's Chester Fritz Stadium.
If it's hot outside, take a big bottle of cold water with you!!!!!!
This game had a huge crowd. At the ONE concession stand with only ONE cash register running, the line had about 300 people in it ALL NIGHT LONG! On top of that, they have 2 water fountains down there and NEITHER ONE OF THEM WORKS!!!! You couldn't get a drink of water there as hot as it was. Unbelievable...
What did my friend and me do.... Embarrassingly enough, we found 2 empty water bottles near us. We took them to the bathroom (where it was about 200 degrees) washed them out real good and filled them with tap water out of the bathroom sink!!!!!! We were about to die!!! It wasn't pretty and it really wasn't funny, but it was fairly warm WATER! We both filled and drank about 4 bottles full in the bathroom and filled them and took em back to our seats...

DP, I attended this game. It was not fun to watch, until the last 5-6 minutes of the game and OT. In fact, for a football fan, it was quite painful.

I haven't read a thing about that game, other than it took 3 OT's. But my gut told me it was probably ugly. We have all been there. It's one thing to watch to good teams execute well and play to a stalemate. Buts it's a long night when sloppy play gets you to the end with the score tied. And, it was not the most comfortable night to have to endure this. Hopefully you weren't faced with what poor Springers had to endure at Hermitage.

Hey Danville, the game was a dandy, but I want to lay a heads up to anybody going to Hermitage HS's Chester Fritz Stadium.
If it's hot outside, take a big bottle of cold water with you!!!!!!
This game had a huge crowd. At the ONE concession stand with only ONE cash register running, the line had about 300 people in it ALL NIGHT LONG! On top of that, they have 2 water fountains down there and NEITHER ONE OF THEM WORKS!!!! You couldn't get a drink of water there as hot as it was. Unbelievable...
What did my friend and me do.... Embarrassingly enough, we found 2 empty water bottles near us. We took them to the bathroom (where it was about 200 degrees) washed them out real good and filled them with tap water out of the bathroom sink!!!!!! We were about to die!!! It wasn't pretty and it really wasn't funny, but it was fairly warm WATER! We both filled and drank about 4 bottles full in the bathroom and filled them and took em back to our seats...

On the flip side of your experience was what we found at James Monroe. Efficient concession staff, well stocked and did not run out of anything. Also, the restrooms were clean, modern, and AIR CONDITIONED!

There was one thing that we did see that was just an unfortunate flaw in design, but probably unavoidable. But first let me say this. Maury is a really neat stadium. The trees, the well restored old school, and the old concrete home seating just make it a unique, throwback to the way things used to be. The playing surface was immaculately prepared. But anyway, because of limited space available, they put the concession/restroom building at one end of the field. The goalpost are only about 20 yards away, so they hung a net to protect folks This net only leaves about ten feet in front of the building. This creates a traffic jam with people in line, and people trying to get by to the restrooms. But, not a big deal. Most everyone was polite and considerate. And it was only a problem during half time.

Here was the best part. The visitors seating was in shade from about 5:00 on. As everyone knows, that was a Godsend for Friday.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I haven't read a thing about that game, other than it took 3 OT's. But my gut told me it was probably ugly. We have all been there. It's one thing to watch to good teams execute well and play to a stalemate. Buts it's a long night when sloppy play gets you to the end with the score tied. And, it was not the most comfortable night to have to endure this. Hopefully you weren't faced with what poor Springers had to endure at Hermitage.

DP, I wrote a little about the game on the D6 board, and someone added a link to a Post article too. 20 penalties, 6 team time outs, and 2 injury time outs-just in the first half. That is why I said it was painful to watch!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT