ADVERTISEMENT

When does the contract end with current venues for State Championships

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Was wondering when the venue contract ends. I know there have been state championships at JMU, U of R, Todd Stadium, Darling Stadium, va tech. Was wondering what other venues might be a good fit? New U of Richmond stadium? ODU?

Was wondering when the venue contract ends. I know there have been state championships at JMU, U of R, Todd Stadium, Darling Stadium, va tech. Was wondering what other venues might be a good fit? New U of Richmond stadium? ODU?
UR stadium might not be large enough plus there are so limits on the number of games

I like the current locations, especially LU and UVa, because they are as close to a central location for all regions as we can get. IMO

I talked to a VHSL rep yesterday asking if there had ever been talk of playing all six in one location (Charlottesville or Liberty with three on Friday, three on Saturday).

He said that it has come up for a vote and the membership consistently votes it down.

I made a sad face.

I talked to a VHSL rep yesterday asking if there had ever been talk of playing all six in one location (Charlottesville or Liberty with three on Friday, three on Saturday).

He said that it has come up for a vote and the membership consistently votes it down.

I made a sad face.
Any reason as to why they would vote this down? As i love that idea. I feel like they could get more people at the games, i for one would go to all 6 if i could

Any reason as to why they would vote this down? As i love that idea. I feel like they could get more people at the games, i for one would go to all 6 if i could

The membership is the Principals (with AD and coach input), so it's anyone's guess as to why.

My first inclination would be to think that people like tradition and as little travel as possible so I can't see the small schools wanting to give up Salem nor can I see the big schools wanting to drive past Charlottesville to get to Lynchburg.

I've long bemoaned the fact that Virginia does very little "big event" things for football. Really a shame.

The membership is the Principals (with AD and coach input), so it's anyone's guess as to why.

My first inclination would be to think that people like tradition and as little travel as possible so I can't see the small schools wanting to give up Salem nor can I see the big schools wanting to drive past Charlottesville to get to Lynchburg.

I've long bemoaned the fact that Virginia does very little "big event" things for football. Really a shame.
Gotcha, another idea i would like is if the 1,2 &3a teams played at LU and the 4,5, &6a teams played at uva preferably on different days

I would agree. For a state championship game, the level of effort to put it on was MINIMAL.

Reactions: VolNation85

I made a sad face.

I like 1A-3A at Lu. 1a on Friday night, other two sat. 4A-6A at UVA with 1 fri and 2 Saturday.

I made a sad face.
That would be nice to have all 3 at UVA

UR stadium might not be large enough plus there are so limits on the number of games
The only team that brought really "a lot" of fans at UVA yesterday was highland springs they easily outnumbered stone bridge Westfield and Oscar smiths fans

Heard yesterday that JMU has s bid in for the 3A and 4A for next year along with LU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT