ADVERTISEMENT

Information in the Digital Age

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
If your cell phone is in your pocket you can pull it out, download enough information on the global commercial airline industry, study it and become expert enough to start up, taxi, take off and fly a jet airplane of any size. Landing might be a little difficult.

My point is that when high school football starts we are left with no rosters, conflicting information and paranoid people directly connected to the schools.

The Peninsula District only has 2 stadiums in the nearly 50 years that I have been watching football in Newport News/Hampton, yet there are 3 games listed as starting within 30 minutes of each other for tonight on Scorestream.com. WHY!? Is there a new stadium that has not been advertised?

Back in the day if there was a big game there were the best game day full color collectable programs for sale with pictures, coupons for food, rosters and stats. Fast forward and when I worked as a reporter in the 2010s I was treated as if I was trying to break into Fort Knox for asking if accurate rosters was available.

Not only are the worst online articles digitally monetized by mainstream media but the included information is incomplete and at times inaccurate and written by artificial intelligence. The reason is greed. Money. High school football is not a sport. It is a business that has been fully infiltrated by Warren Buffet and the entire Disney Family. That used to be a conspiracy theory. Everything is for sale.

The Daily Press sports staff should be ashamed of themselves. In 2003 they ridiculed anyone involved with online freelance reporting. 20 years on and they hoard the littlest of Peninsula District football information like spiders with OCD.

Warwick plays Kecoughtan 7 pm at Darling.
Bethel plays Menchville 7 pm at Todd.

There is no 3rd game tonight in the Peninsula District.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT