ADVERTISEMENT

When entire threads get deleted...

WP02alum

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 22, 2009
nobody knows what posts are ok and which are not. I don’t think mods need to spend their time parsing through every single post, but simply deleting a whole thread leaves a lot of questions and does not improve the quality of posting on the board.

Respectfully, I hope this post is allowed to stay up.

These posts ARE about hs football. About whether we are even going to have it or not, I would say that’s about as legitimate of a topic as it can be in regards to hs football. It’s the current issue it’s what’s on our minds and it is going to greatly affect HS football, can’t understand how these are getting removed because they’re “off topic” ???? They’re not

These posts ARE about hs football. About whether we are even going to have it or not, I would say that’s about as legitimate of a topic as it can be in regards to hs football. It’s the current issue it’s what’s on our minds and it is going to greatly affect HS football, can’t understand how these are getting removed because they’re “off topic” ???? They’re not
Both threads started topically, but veered off into personal attacks and political discussion, neither of which address whether football will be played. I understand people want to have those political discussions, but this isn't the forum for that.

I just wish the offenders could be isolated rather than shutting down a whole thread and leaving me confused as to who screwed up.

Reactions: Lafayette
It’s very interesting what things get removed and
what things don’t. I’ve scratched my head wondering how in the world some things could remain on the board while reading others wondering why it was taken down.

It’s been said many times “if it doesn’t have to do with H.S. football then it will be taken down” yet recently it doesn’t appear that principle has been applied. It’s quite comical to see the selective removals. Either way nothing we can do it about, if the thread is still there cool, if not, guess we just complain about it?

Reactions: rainman17
It’s very interesting what things get removed and
what things don’t. I’ve scratched my head wondering how in the world some things could remain on the board while reading others wondering why it was taken down.

It’s been said many times “if it doesn’t have to do with H.S. football then it will be taken down” yet recently it doesn’t appear that principle has been applied. It’s quite comical to see the selective removals. Either way nothing we can do it about, if the thread is still there cool, if not, guess we just complain about it?
Maybe the change in moderators now will alter the methods used. Delete the specific posts that are inflammatory but not an entire thread.

folks you do understand that's what moderators do correct. mike was correct to take down that post as it started some real negative and personal discussions. pls if you disagree with my post that's fine but leave my grammar alone as I save that for the really important things in life.I forgot to add about the taking down just the bad stuff comment. when you do that then your censoring and that worse than taking the whole post down as everyone has an opinion but doesn't know how to express it correctly so the whole topic has to come down. hey start a new topic and see if ppl can get it rite this time. IMO

Reactions: mike salem
Moderating essentially IS censorship if it involves removing posts that break the rules. Censorship isn’t inherently negative if it’s needed to enforce rules. I get that that is more time-consuming, so I understand taking the easier route of deleting the thread. My opinion is that moderating the easy way isn’t always what’s best for improving the quality of posting as it relates to the rules of the site.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
That’s exactly what I was going to say. It’s much easier to delete a thread than to censor.

I’m not understand where “censoring is worse than deleting a thread...as everyone has an opinion but doesn’t know how to express it”.

That’s awesome; so you’re saying it’s better to delete the entire thread even though some of the replies are people who actually know how to express it. In this case the people who have an opinion represented well then they will suffer because of others when there is a clear option to just censor?

yes as i said at the end of my post i said IMO. you dont have to agree with me but in the other post ppl got rude and nasty over and opinion on high school sports. as i said before start a new post and try to keep it on topic and not personal. hmmmmm as far as i can tell its not that important or there would be a new post. lets move on now.

Reactions: VAtuffTurf
mike you do a great job dont ever change. but after seeing lafayettes post maybe your not around anymore. i hope thats not true.

yes as i said at the end of my post i said IMO. you dont have to agree with me but in the other post ppl got rude and nasty over and opinion on high school sports. as i said before start a new post and try to keep it on topic and not personal. hmmmmm as far as i can tell its not that important or there would be a new post. lets move on now.

My point is the people who got rude & nasty should be dealt with. Perhaps no one is re-starting that thread due to the chilling effects of their previous posts being thrown in the trash with the bad.

Last edited:
I was never affiliated with the thread in question. I just know some people actually put decent thought-provoked statements into their posts. I’d be a little unnerved at posting in the future if I knew some trolls could ruin and eliminate my relevant posts. Then as you mentioned I’d have to potentially start a new thread and keep my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t end up with the same outcome.

No fire from me Dan, I just think there is a better system out there than deleting an entire thread. Until that system comes about, the solid posters shouldn’t suffer at the expense of others. I know I’ll likely be asked “what should that system be”? Again for me, censoring or deleting the inappropriate post with a potential for disciplinary action so the moderator doesn’t have to stay as active in the future.

Reactions: racindan4u
Bottom line guys - I'm the Publisher for this site and we want ALL to feel welcome to post here. But there are certain guidelines to follow (not that complicated and easy to locate, at the top of the forums)... basically you just need to follow the simple guidelines without personal attacks, name-calling, language, your basics, and all will be fine.

If anyone finds a post that they feel is violating those rules, you can report a thread that forum moderators - myself included - will get a notification about and we'll handle it how we feel appropriate. Anyone with questions, I can be reached via e-mail at hatfieldsports@gmail.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT