ADVERTISEMENT

Where you gonna be Friday night?

If you drive straight through you'll have about 10 minutes to spare
You've at least got me thinking about it :) If I could leave work 15 minutes early, I might just go.....I don't guess they would consider a 7.30 start time to help me would they :) LOL

I just read on FB that Tennessee High could not play crosstown rival Virginia High at the field that will be hosting UT and VT. Something about a schedule conflict. I believe they will be playing Thursday night at the regular field. You would think that the 100th playing between these 2 schools would be a perfect precursor to the Battle at Bristol! Could you imagine being a 15-17 year old playing at that place? Too bad...

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe Bristol motor speedway would allow two high school teams to play on that field two days before this massive event they've been planning for years? How would ticket prices be set? Who would receive the funds? There would be 150,000 plus empty seats. Ridiculous post.

Do you honestly believe Bristol motor speedway would allow two high school teams to play on that field two days before this massive event they've been planning for years? How would ticket prices be set? Who would receive the funds? There would be 150,000 plus empty seats. Ridiculous post.
You are mistaken pal. Saw the link on another forum about the story. Apparently THS is honoring a long time fan with the naming of the field or something at their home stadium Thursday. BMS offered. Can't recall if date of proposed game, may have been after VT-UT but the offer was made but Tenn. could not reschedule. Ridiculous post, dude.

Last edited:
Well it was written in a paper so it MUST be 100% true. The game isn't even on Thursday. No mistake in what I said. It would not happen before that game. There would be no point to waste that venue on a game between two fairly small high schools.

So you're saying Bruton Smith called up the AD at VHS and THS and said "hey you guys wanna have your little high school game at my 160,000 seat racetrack?" I'm sure he's well aware that it's the 100.th meeting between the schools and was dying to have them there to play that game in front of 5,000 people.

It is all good. Who would have thought it even a consideration? Would have been cool for those players/schools.

So you're saying Bruton Smith called up the AD at VHS and THS and said "hey you guys wanna have your little high school game at my 160,000 seat racetrack?" I'm sure he's well aware that it's the 100.th meeting between the schools and was dying to have them there to play that game in front of 5,000 people.
Just wanna say VHS A.D is Brad Harper and he was at Appomattox for years. He had a lot to do with the hiring of Coach Smith. He was a great AD and he is missed. He left 4 years ago.

I don't really see the point in using BMS for high school football. Imagine how empty that place would look with only typical high school attendance. Don't get me wrong, I have been advocating for the UT-VT game for over ten years, but the seats for viewing the game are much better in a smaller venue designed for football. It's still going to be cool to break the single game attendance record for football at any level.

I don't know which game I'll go to on Friday, but tomorrow night I'll be in Bluefield to watch my Blues take on Graham in what should be a fun game to watch. A lot of athletes and speed on the field for both teams, but Graham has a leg up ( bad pun intended ) in the speed department. Should be a shootout if the blues can protect JLA.

I don't know which game I'll go to on Friday, but tomorrow night I'll be in Bluefield to watch my Blues take on Graham in what should be a fun game to watch. A lot of athletes and speed on the field for both teams, but Graham has a leg up ( bad pun intended ) in the speed department. Should be a shootout if the blues can protect JLA.

Do they? We have a lot of speed as well. I think the speed is more even than many think. The difference in these teams are the lines.

To be really honest, I have no idea. I haven't seen Graham but was going on what a couple of friends of mine that are Bluefield fans and what they have told me about Graham. One in particular has seen both teams play and told me he thought that Graham may have a SLIGHT advantage in speed. I don't think I was implying that they had a huge advantage in speed, or that that would be the difference in the game. The difference in the game for me will be if our line can protect JLA so he has time to go through his progressions and find the open man. Also, whether our D can slow the running game, particularly Cousin & Mead, if that happens, I like our chances, but if Graham is able to put a lot of pressure on JLA, and have a big night running the ball then it could be a long night.
I think we have a good chance to win a close game.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
I was being sarcastic. Everyone knows they have speed. But it's not as if Richlands doesn't have speed of their own.

If you take Taymon Cooke out of the discussion the teams are probably decently close in speed..

All the film I've watched points to the Graham offensive line being a bit of a weakness. Richlands defensive line is a strength. Not a good matchup for Graham.

I think that's a little overplayed. Graham's blocking scheme is to block left or right on the roll out throws and to get to the second level on run plays as quick as possible. They want you to have a couple guys in the backfield off the edge because that's 2 less people to Block downfield on the other side

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT