ADVERTISEMENT

Who is or should be the ECG frontrunner?

Will the Hilltoppers hire from within? Big shoes to walk into for anyone.
I think they should and keep the same system Woody had in place. One thing that has never worked well is the make drastic changes to the game style right away.

I think they should and keep the same system Woody had in place. One thing that has never worked well is the make drastic changes to the game style right away.
Depends on the coach. If a coach doesn't know the previous system and not comfortable coaching and teaching it why not run the system you want?

Reactions: wikki
Glass has a tough decision to make. All good candidates though. Excited about the future either way. This generation of Glass guys don't know Lovelace though. As long as Johnson and Penn are on the staff I'm good.

If someone on staff gets promoted do the other assistants that applied stay? If someone from the outside get it do they stay? I’m no coach but I wouldn’t want someone on my staff that applied for the same job, maybe that’s just me!

If someone on staff gets promoted do the other assistants that applied stay? If someone from the outside get it do they stay? I’m no coach but I wouldn’t want someone on my staff that applied for the same job, maybe that’s just me!
Not a coach, so I have no Idea how that works. But If I was, I'm usually a team player and if we worked well together, I'd have no problem with it. The kids are the most important thing. Not egos

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
In my past experiences, no matter whether an insider or outsider gets the job, they will typically interview/meet with members that were already on staff and see if they would like to remain. This is easier if you have already worked with the assistant prior. If you are coming from outside the program you are more or less interviewing the current assistants as well. I have known for some to move on and I have also seen some new coaches bring in a few coaches that they are familiar with. Bringing in your own staff is not always easy, especially if they are teachers. There might not be openings within the school and some division have policies that state you have to be in the school division or a member of the community in order to coach.

Not a coach, so I have no Idea how that works. But If I was, I'm usually a team player and if we worked well together, I'd have no problem with it. The kids are the most important thing. Not egos

In my past experiences, no matter whether an insider or outsider gets the job, they will typically interview/meet with members that were already on staff and see if they would like to remain. This is easier if you have already worked with the assistant prior. If you are coming from outside the program you are more or less interviewing the current assistants as well. I have known for some to move on and I have also seen some new coaches bring in a few coaches that they are familiar with. Bringing in your own staff is not always easy, especially if they are teachers. There might not be openings within the school and some division have policies that state you have to be in the school division or a member of the community in order to coach.
I get it. Openings to bring in your own staff could be a hinderance in someone taking the job. A lot of coaches especially veteran ones would have at least 1 or 2 two assistants to bring with them in order to make it easier to implement their system and culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
From what I understand Glass had multiple good candidates - a combination that would inevitably leave someone disappointed. Also when you have 4-5 internal candidates (if that is true), it is hard to imagine a scenario where all "people" would be happy. Whoever it is, the hire should be judged over a multi-year period.

From what I understand Glass had multiple good candidates - a combination that would inevitably leave someone disappointed. Also when you have 4-5 internal candidates (if that is true), it is hard to imagine a scenario where all "people" would be happy. Whoever it is, the hire should be judged over a multi-year period.
Great point, there may be a big exodus.

May be. I would be shocked if they don’t announce Lovelace at this point. Would’ve loved to see them hire from within though.
Lovelace would be a good hire from what I’ve heard about him. I guess Glass people wanted a hire from within.

It would have been hard to imagine Glass go with a first time head coach. I think the choice is a good one and he will do well there. As far as how many stay on staff we will wait and see.

Reactions: lyhsports and wikki
What was Flemings record during his tenure?
They were 19-32 in the 5 yrs under Lovelace, (2018-2022) but Fleming only won 20 games in the 8 yrs prior from 2010-2017. They were making progress, it was just a grind. They were a better disciplined team, better grades, a lot of improvement in other ways. Obviously, you would like success on the field too, but Coach Lovelace was building a good foundation, and hopefully the next coach will be able to build on that.

I have no clue about the other candidates, but from an outsiders opinion Glass made a sound choice. Lovelace has the coaching genes and relates well to the kids. Dinwiddie scrimmaged both teams a few years ago in the "Burg" and I was impressed with the discipline, talent, and organization the Fleming team displayed. Good luck to the Hilltoppers.

Not a bad choice but if there's some disappointed Glass fans I could also understand.

Lovelace it is! Glad to see he brought Gardner with him too!
FqAWH41WcAASrAv

Just throwing this out there to persons who, unlike me, live in or near Salem. Do you think there's any chance at all that WF would interest Magenbauer? It's not in Salem's class or district, so not a direct competitor of the Spartans, at least for now.

Just throwing this out there to persons who, unlike me, live in or near Salem. Do you think there's any chance at all that WF would interest Magenbauer? It's not in Salem's class or district, so not a direct competitor of the Spartans, at least for now.
I don't think he has any interest in getting back into coaching. Doesn't need the money or the headache, in my opinion. I don't think you give up one of the top jobs in the state to take some time off and come back to Fleming. No disrespect to Fleming.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I don't think he has any interest in getting back into coaching. Doesn't need the money or the headache, in my opinion. I don't think you give up one of the top jobs in the state to take some time off and come back to Fleming. No disrespect to Fleming.
I hear you about Salem versus Fleming. I'm glad that he's happy now. However, some former coaches just get the itch again after being away for a while. See Dick Vermeil, Joe Gibbs, Mack Brown, Jon Gruden, etc.

I hear you about Salem versus Fleming. I'm glad that he's happy now. However, some former coaches just get the itch again after being away for a while. See Dick Vermeil, Joe Gibbs, Mack Brown, Jon Gruden, etc.
They also might like a new challenge

My take on it is Coach Mags is a loyalty guy. He was able to take the reigns from Coach White, had so much success with the foundation that had been established and built on it, and walked away passing it on to a worthy successor. He certainly loves to be around watching the games, but kind of from the shadows now. The last time I saw him was at a Glenvar playoff game a few months ago against Appomattox. His daughters have both graduated from high school, and I think that was his goal to leave about the time that they did. I could be wrong, but I just don't see him coaching high school football anymore, especially with a team he has no real connection to.

Reactions: catchtds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT