ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your Varsity Football Team playing against this Friday in the final scrimmage of the pre-season?

Apr 12, 2021
I would greatly appreciate it if everyone could post who your school is scrimmaging this Friday, August 20 and then give the final score of the game if available. Thanks, Dave at Raiders Radio

Can you install some new bleachers for us for next Friday?? LOL!
Funny you say that because I saw them up there with bleachers the other day! Lol! I got a sweet lady from Appomattox that works at the college with me and evertime she walks past me she says" 8 more days" lol!. She just told me "I hope yall got some more bleachers!" 🤣

King William defeated New Kent, 21-0 tonight in their scrimmage. Was called early because of lightning. KW ran about 30 plays on offense with 1st and 2nd team getting reps

Talk about a tale of two scrimmages. After scrimmaging two-time 4A (TN) defending state champs Elizabethton (30 game win streak) in their first scrimmage, the Union Bears will have their last tune up against Eastside tomorrow. It's like going from driving a Maserati to putting around in a 60s VW Bug lol

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
Richlands is hosting Class A Grundy tonight (Thursday). I’ll post the score after the game.
Richlands won 49-0. Starters played 4 series, scored on 3 (and on the 4th, a young WR dropped the ball as he was crossing the goal line and the ball went out of bounds in the end zone, so they basically scored on all 4 possessions).

Second string got a couple scores, as did the JV team. Out-gained Grundy 446-101 in total.

I think Grundy will have a good Class A squad. They have a good line and Scammel is a good back. They’ll likely win their district and be a hard out in the playoffs if their D comes around.

I watched Richlands this morning on NFHS (replay). I wrote this on SWVA Sports and this is just my opinion. Richlands is good ENOUGH to possibly win a state title this year Not saying they will. Not saying they win the region with the likes of Graham and Union, Central and Ridgeview, but I was alarmed at how well they looked. I've seen Radford this year, and I've seen Graham and Abingdon. We (Radford) looked very good and Graham is dynamite and Abingdon is a frontrunner to win their district with Union, Central, and Ridgeview and Gate City. But, Richlands is the best team I've seen so far. They are athletic, fast on the outside, have a gigantic offensive and defensive line that is very tough, and the QB is special. He looks like he's lost 50 or 60 pound to me. He is about 6"8, looked 230ish to me and moves very well and throws it incredibly well. This kid in my opinion is going to skyrocket on the recruiting scene in the next 5 weeks. He can play college football at least at the FCS level in my opinion. We (Radford) thumped Richlands 42-0 this spring. If we played right now, I don't think we would beat Richlands and when saying that, I think we (Radford) has one heck of a football team. Richlands to me, just one guys take here, looks scary good.

Wanna make a friendly wager? I say Richlands doesn't win 2D. You think they could win state (they wont, no one beating Appo). If Blues win 2D, you get my sig til next season. If I win, it's swapped. Deal?
Don't put all your eggs in the Appomattox basket. Lots of football and hurdles between now and December.

No deal BigW. No deal man! LOL. I think Richland's is good "enough" to win state and good "enough" to win Region D. That's a long shot from saying I think they "Will" win state or Region D. I think a team like Union and Graham are also good "enough" to win state and win Region D. Appo is the favorite, but it's not all said and done yet. Tons of football, an injury here or there, one team peaking at the right time like Graham in 2018, a team like Buckingham loaded with talent and coaching, a Poqouson team that returns 19 of 22 starters, King William loaded with seniors and athletes. Lots can happen and the talent level at Graham, Buckingham, or a much more experienced Union team is not so great from Appo that Appo is untouchable.

More on that Region D pick Big W. I don't have a clue who wins it, but I would favor your boys from Appy/Big Stone. It was only a clip, but the O line looked nasty against Elizabethton who is a notoriously bad outfit for their level of play in Tennessee. Graham looked scary good in their scrimmage as did Richland's, but I would favor the Bears with what they return on the line of scrimmage including not just Lomax at RB, a D1 guy, but the backup, the Satterfield kid would start at nearly every other school in both Region D and C with the exception of only a couple of schools. I just hope we get to have a season man. Its hard to imagine a kid who was a sophomore when this started, for example some of those D1 guys out west like Lomax, Jenkins, Webb, Meadows, and Bradshaw and imagine halfing one half of a junior year and possibly only one half or a third of a senior year. That stinks, especially with this much individual talent in VAs 2A upcoming senior class with the amount of kids getting.major college offers.

More on that Region D pick Big W. I don't have a clue who wins it, but I would favor your boys from Appy/Big Stone. It was only a clip, but the O line looked nasty against Elizabethton who is a notoriously bad outfit for their level of play in Tennessee. Graham looked scary good in their scrimmage as did Richland's, but I would favor the Bears with what they return on the line of scrimmage including not just Lomax at RB, a D1 guy, but the backup, the Satterfield kid would start at nearly every other school in both Region D and C with the exception of only a couple of schools. I just hope we get to have a season man. Its hard to imagine a kid who was a sophomore when this started, for example some of those D1 guys out west like Lomax, Jenkins, Webb, Meadows, and Bradshaw and imagine halfing one half of a junior year and possibly only one half or a third of a senior year. That stinks, especially with this much individual talent in VAs 2A upcoming senior class with the amount of kids getting.major college offers.
I consider Graham a sizable favorite with Wise and Union next.

Appo looked like appo tonight against LCA! 1 st team played first half and played very well against a huge LCA team loaded with D1 ! We don’t take a lot from scrimmages because that is what it is , who cares who scores 49 points in a scrimmage. Lots of work to do for the raiders but one thing is for sure , be ready because the 5 time state champs will be !

Appomattox is home against Class 3 LCA this Friday. I thinking the Raiders starters will only play in the first half and maybe a series in the second.
Appomattox definitely treats it as a scrimmage.
Any score
Appomattox is home against Class 3 LCA this Friday. I thinking the Raiders starters will only play in the first half and maybe a series in the second.
Appomattox definitely treats it as a scrimmage.
any score

At the Glenvar Jamboree....

Glenvar over Blacksburg 30-0
Abingdon over Glenvar 21-14
Abingdon over Blacksburg 14-0

Abingdon scored with 33 seconds left in the scrimmage to win 21-14., and looks solid as always.

Was pleasantly surprised with the Glenvar receivers that Coach Spradlin has worked with since coming to Glenvar 2 years ago. New offensive line and overall defense were both better than anticipated.

21-6 LCA
APPO held the to a FG attempt which was misplayed giving Appo the ball.
Raiders scored quickly and missed extra point.
LCA then scored quick and it was back and forth a bit with Appo going for a 4th and 18 just before half and not getting it and LCA breaking a run I final seconds of the half. 21-6

Backups or what Appomattox had left played a good bit of a shortened 2nd half.

Raiders we’re down 16 players with a cold / sickness going through the team.
In all I thought they did well against the 3A team that was pretty loaded.

Wanna make a friendly wager? I say Richlands doesn't win 2D. You think they could win state (they wont, no one beating Appo). If Blues win 2D, you get my sig til next season. If I win, it's swapped. Deal?
We won’t win 2D — our schedule is the hardest of anyone in 2D and there are teams that will be more talented. But we’ll be a team no one wants to see as a 5ish seed. Tarter has them playing hard again.

• Wow
Has anyone poured thru the VHSL rules this year to determine if a cancelled game counts as a forfeit or not?

Would hope we could make this game up. Everyone is losing out on this game. I think instant classic was in the making. Maybe not the fasted but probably the biggest team we've had in a while. I don't get why they shut down the varsity when it was one jv player that was positive and he was already at home. Smh.

Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2
Would hope we could make this game up. Everyone is losing out on this game. I think instant classic was in the making. Maybe not the fasted but probably the biggest team we've had in a while. I don't get why they shut down the varsity when it was one jv player that was positive and he was already at home. Smh.
Buckingham will be cleared to play when?

Last year it was up to regions. Normally not a forfeit. But a team had to play a minimum number of games(set by region) to qualify for playoffs. Healthy teams would scramble for games if opponent could not play.

Is it just the team shut down or is school closed down as well?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT