ADVERTISEMENT

Will We See an Augusta County Doubleheader Down in Salem?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
As we all know from the various discussion topics, both Riverheads and Stuarts Draft are still alive in the playoffs, which is causing a lot of buzz in Augusta County. So all eyes will be on those two fields this Saturday to see if one and hopefully both can capture a state semi-final win and set up a doubleheader on Championship Saturday.

Although the Gladiators have been the more consistent visitor to Salem (having made five trips in the past 10 years), other county schools have enjoyed the experience as well. But this will be the first time a doubleheader will be possible, although in all fairness you could say we had it in 2017, when both RHS and R E Lee were there. It depends on how you look at "city school" vs "county school."

So to review, here is the full line-up (from memory) of Augusta County schools and their trips to Salem down through the years. Forgive me (and by all means correct when needed) if I have a year wrong or maybe a name.

2007 or maybe 2008...........This is the first memory I have of Salem being the venue for the state title games. That was Buffalo Gap's banner year, as they won the title over Clintwood behind a great running back named Pickle Nuckols. I think the final score was something in the range of 28-19 and I believe the Bison went undefeated that season.

2010...........This was the third of Riverheads' six state titles. Prior to that the Gladiators had won the gold at Liberty (2000) and JMU (2006.) They certainly gave the fans (and the media) their money's worth this third time with an epic 63-49 win over previously-unbeaten Eastern Montgomery. That game set a number of state scoring records and was a classic case of the Big Red's power running game pitted against an amazing passing attack from EM. As I recall, they had a D-1 quarterback but I don't recall the name.

2014......This was Wilson's turn to go for the gold and the Hornets, behind quarterback Mack Cullen, came oh-so-close to winning their own title. I believe the game went into overtime and Glenvar, located a whole five miles away from the stadium, sneaked out the win on either a made PAT or a missed one by Wilson. I did not attend that one which is why I don't have an exact memory of the ending. 21-20 or 22-21 maybe?

2015...........Riverheads made a return trip to Salem and for the one and only time did not bring home the title. The Gladiators entered that game 13-0 and had they won, it would have given them only their second-ever perfect season, 2000 being the first and so far only one. In a classic defensive struggle that no one expected, Galax scored in the first quarter with a touchdown by a stud of a running back and the score remained 7-0 until the final play of the game. Galax had another stud on defense who was in the RHS backfield all day long. The Gladiators finally went to the passing game, not their comfort zone at the time, and scored on literally the last play of the game to make it 7-6. And I do mean the LAST PLAY, as in the clock showing all zeroes when Taz Miller caught a TD pass from about 5 or 6 yards out. The Big Red rolled the dice and went for the win, but a two-point pass was overthrown and Galax held on for a deserved 7-6 win, considering how incredibly well-prepared their defense was that day.

2016..........This was the first of Riverheads' current string of three straight titles. Sussex Central came into the game unbeaten, whereas the Gladiators had suffered an overtime loss to Stuarts Draft in the regular season finale. Sussex scored on the opening drive of the game, but it was ALL Riverheads after that as the Gladiators rolled to a 49-6 win.

2017..........This was the year of the aforementioned "technical" county doubleheader. In the noon opener, RHS easily dispatched Chilhowie 42-0. I made the mistake that day of leaving to head home, thinking I could watch the second game on my NFHS subscription. But something went haywire online, which ticked me off royally, and I missed one of Salem's all time great games as Appomattox and Lee staged a classic. I don't remember the final (an Appo win somewhere in the 37-34 range) but it had all sorts of highlight reel plays and momentum swings. Appo was in the midst of a three or fourpeat at the time and Lee had a do-it-all quarterback (Williams maybe?) who last we heard, tried to walk on at UVa.

2018.......Title number six and third in a row for the Big Red as they again handled Chilhowie, winning this time 35-7. You would think I would remember this detail, but I "think" one of those Chilhowie teams was unbeaten going into the game, whereas RHS had lost twice in the regular season in 2017 (to Lee and Central Woodstock) and once in 2018, a rare shutout loss to East Rockingham.

2019...............Riverheads??????????.............Stuarts Draft?????????????? Neither??????????
Both??????????? We will find out soon enough!

Last edited:
As we all know from the various discussion topics, both Riverheads and Stuarts Draft are still alive in the playoffs, which is causing a lot of buzz in Augusta County. So all eyes will be on those two fields this Saturday to see if one and hopefully both can capture a state semi-final win and set up a doubleheader on Championship Saturday.

Although the Gladiators have been the more consistent visitor to Salem (having made five trips in the past 10 years), other county schools have enjoyed the experience as well. But this will be the first time a doubleheader will be possible, although in all fairness you could say we had it in 2017, when both RHS and R E Lee were there. It depends on how you look at "city school" vs "county school."

So to review, here is the full line-up (from memory) of Augusta County schools and their trips to Salem down through the years. Forgive me (and by all means correct when needed) if I have a year wrong or maybe a name.

2007 or maybe 2008...........This is the first memory I have of Salem being the venue for the state title games. That was Buffalo Gap's banner year, as they won the title over Clintwood behind a great running back named Pickle Nuckols. I think the final score was something in the range of 28-19 and I believe the Bison went undefeated that season.

2010...........This was the third of Riverheads' six state titles. Prior to that the Gladiators had won the gold at Liberty (2000) and JMU (2006.) They certainly gave the fans (and the media) their money's worth this third time with an epic 63-49 win over previously-unbeaten Eastern Montgomery. That game set a number of state scoring records and was a classic case of the Big Red's power running game pitted against an amazing passing attack from EM. As I recall, they had a D-1 quarterback but I don't recall the name.

2012......This was Wilson's turn to go for the gold and the Hornets, behind quarterback Mack Cullen, came oh-so-close to winning their own title. I believe the game went into overtime and Glenvar, located a whole five miles away from the stadium, sneaked out the win on either a made PAT or a missed one by Wilson. I did not attend that one which is why I don't have an exact memory of the ending. 21-20 or 22-21 maybe?

2015...........Riverheads made a return trip to Salem and for the one and only time did not bring home the title. The Gladiators entered that game 13-0 and had they won, it would have given them only their second-ever perfect season, 2000 being the first and so far only one. In a classic defensive struggle that no one expected, Galax scored in the first quarter with a touchdown by a stud of a running back and the score remained 7-0 until the final play of the game. Galax had another stud on defense who was in the RHS backfield all day long. The Gladiators finally went to the passing game, not their comfort zone at the time, and scored on literally the last play of the game to make it 7-6. And I do mean the LAST PLAY, as in the clock showing all zeroes when Taz Miller caught a TD pass from about 5 or 6 yards out. The Big Red rolled the dice and went for the win, but a two-point pass was overthrown and Galax held on for a deserved 7-6 win, considering how incredibly well-prepared their defense was that day.

2016..........This was the first of Riverheads' current string of three straight titles. Sussex Central came into the game unbeaten, whereas the Gladiators had suffered an overtime loss to Stuarts Draft in the regular season finale. Sussex scored on the opening drive of the game, but it was ALL Riverheads after that as the Gladiators rolled to a 49-6 win.

2017..........This was the year of the aforementioned "technical" county doubleheader. In the noon opener, RHS easily dispatched Chilhowie 42-0. I made the mistake that day of leaving to head home, thinking I could watch the second game on my NFHS subscription. But something went haywire online, which ticked me off royally, and I missed one of Salem's all time great games as Appomattox and Lee staged a classic. I don't remember the final (an Appo win somewhere in the 37-34 range) but it had all sorts of highlight reel plays and momentum swings. Appo was in the midst of a three or fourpeat at the time and Lee had a do-it-all quarterback (Williams maybe?) who last we heard, tried to walk on at UVa.

2018.......Title number six and third in a row for the Big Red as they again handled Chilhowie, winning this time 35-7. You would think I would remember this detail, but I "think" one of those Chilhowie teams was unbeaten going into the game, whereas RHS had lost twice in the regular season in 2017 (to Lee and Central Woodstock) and once in 2018, a rare shutout loss to East Rockingham.

2019...............Riverheads??????????.............Stuarts Draft?????????????? Neither??????????
The quarterback for Eastern Montgomery that year was Shawn Christian. I'm not sure where he went to college, but he was a great high school quarterback. I believe there's a video on You Tube of that game, if I'm not mistaken.

Also Pickle Nuckols might be the greatest high school football name ever. That kid was a complete stud. I remember they beat Colonial Beach in the state semifinals, something like 44-33, or somewhere in that vicinity.

Xcross: Coaches like to take things one GAME at a time, not one YEAR at a time. But knowing where you are coming from with your question, I would say that both RHS and SD have a good chance to still be in the mix those next two years.

Xcross: Coaches like to take things one GAME at a time, not one YEAR at a time. But knowing where you are coming from with your question, I would say that both RHS and SD have a good chance to still be in the mix those next two years.
Just look how young and how much talent will be on the field in the future! All we need now is a couple good coaches and we might win a State Championship.

2012......This was Wilson's turn to go for the gold and the Hornets, behind quarterback Mack Cullen, came oh-so-close to winning their own title. I believe the game went into overtime and Glenvar, located a whole five miles away from the stadium, sneaked out the win on either a made PAT or a missed one by Wilson. I did not attend that one which is why I don't have an exact memory of the ending. 21-20 or 22-21 maybe?

Actually, this isn't the 1st time its possible. Just go back to 2016 where both were in Semifinals. I can't remember who it was that Riverheads was playing, but you guys were on the road. And SD was at home against Richlands. I got texts as soon as the Riverheads game was over and on way home. At the time that I received those messages SD was up. Then came what @Ryan4VT dubbed "The Miracle at Draft" or something like that.

Great job! I can offer one correction - Glenvar and Wilson played for the title in 2014. The Highlanders prevailed 20-14, in OT (as you noted).

The quarterback for Eastern Montgomery that year was Shawn Christian. I'm not sure where he went to college, but he was a great high school quarterback. I believe there's a video on You Tube of that game, if I'm not mistaken.

Also Pickle Nuckols might be the greatest high school football name ever. That kid was a complete stud. I remember they beat Colonial Beach in the state semifinals, something like 44-33, or somewhere in that vicinity.

Christian went to DII Glenville State; he left school after one week of practice. To the best of my knowledge, he never played college football anywhere.

Thanks for that correction. I have now adjusted it in my post. Maybe 2012 was the year he stepped out of bounds........a comment that many Riverheads and Wilson people can relate to!!!

Reactions: RedPride07
Christian went to DII Glenville State; he left school after one week of practice. To the best of my knowledge, he never played college football anywhere.
wow that kid had a great arm, that championship game was a espn classic, lots of records were broken in that game, glad the big red team won that game

Actually, this isn't the 1st time its possible. Just go back to 2016 where both were in Semifinals. I can't remember who it was that Riverheads was playing, but you guys were on the road. And SD was at home against Richlands. I got texts as soon as the Riverheads game was over and on way home. At the time that I received those messages SD was up. Then came what @Ryan4VT dubbed "The Miracle at Draft" or something like that.
If I'm not mistaken Riverheads traveled to Galax in 2016 for the state semifinal.

If I'm not mistaken Riverheads traveled to Galax in 2016 for the state semifinal.

Correct. A 63-21 Riverheads win to make up for the 7-6 defeat the year before. Harrison Schaefer, great running back, had five TDs that day. Galax had no idea what hit them.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Ahhh...there were a few passes thrown that game. #88 Ridge Stokes had his best ever game, on both sides of the ball. And then they got chippy, and lost that battle too

Richlands at Stuarts Draft was one of those games I'll always remember. Richlands brought half the town and there was barely anywhere to stand, let alone sit. Great atmosphere of rowdy rans and one hell of a great game.

Note on the 2014 game

Wilson Memorial kicked a very long field goal to take a 17-14 lead, but it technically didn’t count due to Glenvar being offsides.

Then Wilson goes for it on 4th and 2 (gets very close but no measurement) and turns it over on downs

Glenvar then drives the field but misses game winning field goal.

They then stuffed Wilson in OT who missed a field goal I do believe and then Glenvar scored on a QB sweep on the second play in walk off fashion.
It was a great game

Reactions: obguthr
Actually he had a pretty dang good game in the semi's against Galax that year as well. He caught the juggling one handed seam pass early on and played very well on defense that day also. I would agree the state title game may have been a more complete game for him though. If I remember right, #40 Harrison Schaefer had the big offensive game against Galax and also had a pick six. That was an exceptional group that came through and those around the team had identified 2016 as a title run year when that bunch were in 8th grade playing JV.

Reactions: Cowboys69
Thanks for the correction, the semi finals game at Galax is the one I was referring to. Stokes and Shafer really shined

And yes, that team was spotlighted early on. They have to go down as 1 of the best in school and 1A history

I've heard some say this years team is as good or better than the 2016 team????
Just for fun I went to calpreps.com and projected a matchup between the two and the result that came back was 2016 team 31 2019 team 30.
That 2016 team was very determined and definitely had some great players.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I've heard some say this years team is as good or better than the 2016 team????
Offensively I think this years team is better, defensively this years team has 9 new starters and they have been very good at times but I dont think they have been as consistent as the 2016 team even tho they have improved tremendously over the course of the season.

I don't think there is a question the 2016 team overall was better than this team. I do like some things this team does but that '16 team was the definition of a machine. I will give this group all the accolades they deserve if I get to see them celebrating a victory on Dec 14th until then its a mute point. If they don't win (and that is a real possibility) then they certainly fall short of the other team. I will again say that the final four are all quality teams with a legitimate shot at holding that trophy high in Salem so this is where the weight room and endless drills in the heat come in to play. If someone short changed work there, it will be exposed.

Sometimes I think it is only natural to think your current team is the best ever because they are the one that is freshest in your mind. People always said our 1999 team that lost in the first round of the regionals was really better than our 2000 team that went 14-0 and won it all. Then there was our 2006 team that had one of our best passing attacks ever. Then of course the arguments could be made for almost any of our last four or five teams.

So who knows? One thing that this year's team has the chance to accomplish that no other ever has will be to win 15 games in a season. The format in the past, or maybe losing along the way, has kept that from being possible. But this year it is an achievable goal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT