ADVERTISEMENT

William Byrd poised to make a run?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Continuing our team by team analysis, Wm. Byrd is next on our list.

Finishing 6-4 last season, with 3 of those 4 loses by a total of 7 points, are they still improving? Or was last year a high water mark?

Let's hear what you guys and gals out that way have to say about the 2016 Terriers' chances.

Tailback Larry Basham should be back for his junior season, and if his level of performance continues to improve, he will be one of the top backs in the state in 4A. Basham, who in 2017 should have a shot at setting the new state career rushing yardage record (set by another Byrd athlete, O. J. Thomason), is also a very dangerous kick returner. Byrd is following their typical pattern: a good/really good year, followed by three or four years to build back to that same point. Highfill does a great job of building unremarkable but tough and competitive teams around one, maybe two really good players. I think the Terriers have to replace their starting qb, but Basham is the man, and he provides an excellent starting point.

I think Byrd has an excellent chance of flipping at least two of last year's losses - most likely LB and Northside - into wins, to finish no worse than 8-2. They should probably be the favorite in the Blue Ridge District, especially in light of the Northside situation. I think Byrd should have a great chance at a top eight seed in 4A West.

Thomason's career rushing yardage record is 7,536. I don't know exact numbers, but Mr. Basham is currently in the 3,100 range. So, he'll need to pick it up a bit his last two years to have a chance at setting a new mark.

Unlikely. Byrd's record only shows 1 win against a team over .500 and that was by 1 point. They played a wealth of bad teams last year and anyone good beat them.

Should also point out Bryd played 8 of 10 games against 3A and, well, 3A wasn't good last year. Like at all. There were enormous gaps between the levels of play in 3A and 4A last year that don't always exist(JF torched 3A champ MV, Salem torched JF) which makes me hesitate to say Byrd goes anywhere in the playoffs more than their usual 2 games at best.

I don't really see any threats on the team beside Basham so I figure they're still a year away but they've just never been a playoff force anyway. They seem so content with just making it that they never do any damage in it.

Tailback Larry Basham should be back for his junior season, and if his level of performance continues to improve, he will be one of the top backs in the state in 4A. Basham, who in 2017 should have a shot at setting the new state career rushing yardage record (set by another Byrd athlete, O. J. Thomason), is also a very dangerous kick returner. Byrd is following their typical pattern: a good/really good year, followed by three or four years to build back to that same point. Highfill does a great job of building unremarkable but tough and competitive teams around one, maybe two really good players. I think the Terriers have to replace their starting qb, but Basham is the man, and he provides an excellent starting point.

I think Byrd has an excellent chance of flipping at least two of last year's losses - most likely LB and Northside - into wins, to finish no worse than 8-2. They should probably be the favorite in the Blue Ridge District, especially in light of the Northside situation. I think Byrd should have a great chance at a top eight seed in 4A West.
When you have a special player, a nice run can be expected. He's the difference between solid team and great team. Almost always a QB, RB, LB or DL. Never seen an OL Impact a game. No matter how good. DB's, WR's and safeties are nice to have. They can make some plays occasionally that can make a difference in close encounters but at a HS level, any decent Athlete can fill these positions adequately.

People with the ball in hand impact more that others. If you are scoring TD's in high school, you can win a lot of games. I have often thought though a great defense will always shut down a one dimension team. Byrd will need more that a running back to go deep in the playoffs.

Unlikely. Byrd's record only shows 1 win against a team over .500 and that was by 1 point. They played a wealth of bad teams last year and anyone good beat them.

Should also point out Bryd played 8 of 10 games against 3A and, well, 3A wasn't good last year. Like at all. There were enormous gaps between the levels of play in 3A and 4A last year that don't always exist(JF torched 3A champ MV, Salem torched JF) which makes me hesitate to say Byrd goes anywhere in the playoffs more than their usual 2 games at best.

I don't really see any threats on the team beside Basham so I figure they're still a year away but they've just never been a playoff force anyway. They seem so content with just making it that they never do any damage in it.

If your "unlikely" is in response to the question posed by DP in the title of the original post, I agree. I could see Byrd winning perhaps one playoff game, if that. Even Byrd's better teams do tend to be somewhat one-dimensional, which probably explains why they never go very deep in the post-season (even if that one dimension is pretty strong).

Looking at the Terriers' schedule, they should still be ahead of all six teams they defeated last year, given SR's loss of their good running back. Magna Vista, Northside and LB - who combined to beat Byrd by seven - all suffer losses of multiple key players. Which still leads me to believe Byrd will be capable of flipping at least two of those three losses. They'll have to continue to improve, of course. And maybe I should add the caveat, "If they can find someone who can throw just enough to keep opposing defenses honest." But I think coach Highfill will do that.

If your "unlikely" is in response to the question posed by DP in the title of the original post, I agree. I could see Byrd winning perhaps one playoff game, if that. Even Byrd's better teams do tend to be somewhat one-dimensional, which probably explains why they never go very deep in the post-season (even if that one dimension is pretty strong).

Looking at the Terriers' schedule, they should still be ahead of all six teams they defeated last year, given SR's loss of their good running back. Magna Vista, Northside and LB - who combined to beat Byrd by seven - all suffer losses of multiple key players. Which still leads me to believe Byrd will be capable of flipping at least two of those three losses. They'll have to continue to improve, of course. And maybe I should add the caveat, "If they can find someone who can throw just enough to keep opposing defenses honest." But I think coach Highfill will do that.
Two of their losses were also against eventual State Champs and they still presented themselves well against both. They seem to be on the right track. Now it's up to them to show the program is working and I wish them the best. Good programs. Good kids. That's what it's about.

It was 42-7 or 49-7 in the 4th before Byrd got garbage time TDs against Salem backups and much like MV, they played Salem early. I'm pretty sure MV would have housed them if they met in week 10.

Byrd's purely one-dimensional, if they hit 8-9 wins it'll be from a weak schedule and they won't fare well in the playoffs since you just stack the front and stop Basham to stop Byrd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT