ADVERTISEMENT

SHENANDOAH DISTRICT READY TO GET DOWN TO DISTRICT ACTION!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I have just looked into this week's (September 22) slate of games and lo and behold, the 'Doah will have a full slate of district games, meaning three of them, and even the odd man out will have a very interesting non-district game. And guess what.........not one of the four games is a slam dunk in my opinion and the Riverheads at Wilson game might not even be the highlight reel game of the week!!! Here is the full schedule:

BUFFALO GAP AT WAYNESBORO: The best part about this game is that somebody is going to get their first win of the season. The smart money is on the Bison because they have been competitive in most of their games whereas Waynesboro is still trying to find itself. However, all it will take is for the Giants to get some early confidence in this one and the Gap might come unraveled. I will go with BG but a Waynesboro win will not be a huge upset by any means.

MADISON AT FORT DEFIANCE: This is our one non-district game of the season and boy, I for one don't have a crystal ball for it. We know that Madison squeaked by a talented Staunton squad by one point on opening night and they blew out rival William Monroe this past weekend. But we also know that Fort Defiance threw a scare into Riverheads and followed that up with a road win at Broadway. My gut is that Madison is maybe a TD better and will pull out the win in this one but it just might be more of a blowout than that or the Indians might take it.

RIVERHEADS AT WILSON: This will be the feature game of the week in most circles and will certainly be the most talked-about, but that will mainly be because of the will-he-or-won't-he appearance by a certain Mr. Cook Cash. I have my opinion on whether or not he will play, but hey you don't think I would share any inside information that might find its way on to the Hornet bulletin board, now do you? RHS has had Wilson's number for quite a while now, and in most cases, the games have been runaways. But due to that uncertainty about his status, this looks like Wilson's best chance in years to knock off their arch-rivals. I will officially say that if he plays and is anywhere close to his usual effectiveness, then the Big Red wins by 2-3 scores. If he does not play at all or doesn't play enough to impact the game, then I say that the bye week will have turned out to be just what the Gladiators needed to get used to life without him. In that scenario, they will play a smoother game than they did against Fort and will still be able to win a close one over the Green Team.

STAUNTON AT STUARTS DRAFT: Well look what we have here!!! A game that on paper looks like the most competitive of the bunch. So if you want to hit a game this week that might have the potential to go 3 or 4 overtimes, this might be it. Each team is athletic and explosive and I will be shocked if this one is a defensive slugfest. As for picking a winner........wow...........I think I have to go with Staunton because of how close they came to Central. Since Wilson and Stuarts Draft are a 10 minute drive from one another, if the Wilson game ends early, dash over to SD to catch the end of this one. It just might be that good a game!

So there you have it. Once again I am going completely against all four home teams, but at least I am not ruling out the chances for any of them to come out on top. Also knock on wood, the weather sounds OK as of the moment.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Great preview @longtimerhsfan. I agree with most of your analysis but have a little different take on them.

Gap needs to find consistency and injuries have hampered that so far. Waynesboro has some decent pieces but haven’t put it together at any point so far. Gap should win relatively easy unless the Little Giants find a groove.

Fort and Madison could be a great game but Staunton has a much better defense than Fort so I am going with Madison thumping the Indians.

Wilson has found replacements for a few early season injuries so this one could be closer than I want to see. I don’t see a huge explosive offensive night for either team but after a bye week the Gladiators generally come out a tad more crisp.

Staunton and Draft will tell us a good bit about both of them. Is Stauntons defense as good as they have shown? Has Draft found their footing offensively? Drafts defense played well against Luray but the Storm are not the Bulldogs either. Unless someone has insight into the future, this one looks close and could be the first step to the top of the ‘doah.

Fun week to be a high school football fan.

Gap
I am going Fort even though I see a lot of last names on that Madison roster that bring back 1990's nightmares.
Riverheads by 21 without CCC, my 42 or more with.
Staunton Draft toss up, I am going with veteran head coach and the Cougars.

I will say Gap over Waynesboro. Somebody needs to win and I just think that Gap will have the ability to put together what it takes to beat Boro more so than Waynesboro can to beat Gap.

Madison at Fort is a toss up for me, but I am going to go with Madison. Fort is always a gritty team, but Madison has some size and speed. Both teams have excellent QB's and I think Madison's is just a tad bit better than Forts and that could be the difference,

Riverheads over Wilson. Don't think CCC will be needed in this one and Riverheads wins by 2-3 TD's.

The Staunton and Draft game really is an interesting game this week. I actually see it being a low scoring defensive game with the eventual winner winning by a score of something like 14-12 or 18-16. Close to the end and this game will help us get a better feel for what is in the future this season for both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT