ADVERTISEMENT

With the offseason coming to an end

Nov 24, 2006
Who are some sleeper teams who might have flown under the radar so far this off season?
Who are your top 5-10 teams by region and state?
Lastly who are some players to expect big things out of?

I'll name top 3 teams in each region. If I named 10, that's about 2/3rds of the entire Class 2 teams.

Region A.
1. Poqouson/King William
3. Southampton (drops down from Class 3 to Class 2)

Region B.
1. Riverheads/Central-Woodstock
3. Stuarts Draft (Draft in the 3 spot has a much better chance than any other team in the 3 spot in other Regions to knock off the 2 at the top.) Southampton in Region A is a long ways from KW/Poquson. Draft will be much closer to Central/Riverheads.

Region C.
1. Appomattox
2. Glenvar (Glenvar and Appo could be on the same line tied at 1 like Central/Riverheads in B or Poquoson/King William in A, as Glenvar's across the board talent is right there with Appo, but Appo is just in Glenvar's head. Glenvar just can't beat them it seems, so this is why I put Glenvar on line 2, separate from Appo at 1.
3. Floyd County/Radford fighting for 3, and Floyd/Radford in the 3 spot is like Southampton in Region A. They will be long ways away from challenging Appo/Glenvar.

Region D.
1. Graham- just seems on another level and reloads again with talent and it seems like there will again be a wide gap between Graham and any other team in D, but anything can happen. If Graham beats AA powerhouse and crosstown rival Bluefield, WV, in game one, there's a decent chance Graham could complete a 30 game winning streak and run the table to go 15-0 two times in a row. To early to tell that though.
2. Union
3. Tazewell/Gate City/Ridgeview fighting for the 3 spot.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority with this but I'm going to say this is the year that Glenvar tops Appomattox to win Region C. I say that because of the distractions with coach Smith and a slight erosion in talent compared to years past. Guess we will see.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I'll name top 3 teams in each region. If I named 10, that's about 2/3rds of the entire Class 2 teams.

Region A.
1. Poqouson/King William
3. Southampton (drops down from Class 3 to Class 2)

Region B.
1. Riverheads/Central-Woodstock
3. Stuarts Draft (Draft in the 3 spot has a much better chance than any other team in the 3 spot in other Regions to knock off the 2 at the top.) Southampton in Region A is a long ways from KW/Poquson. Draft will be much closer to Central/Riverheads.

Region C.
1. Appomattox
2. Glenvar (Glenvar and Appo could be on the same line tied at 1 like Central/Riverheads in B or Poquoson/King William in A, as Glenvar's across the board talent is right there with Appo, but Appo is just in Glenvar's head. Glenvar just can't beat them it seems, so this is why I put Glenvar on line 2, separate from Appo at 1.
3. Floyd County/Radford fighting for 3, and Floyd/Radford in the 3 spot is like Southampton in Region A. They will be long ways away from challenging Appo/Glenvar.

Region D.
1. Graham- just seems on another level and reloads again with talent and it seems like there will again be a wide gap between Graham and any other team in D, but anything can happen. If Graham beats AA powerhouse and crosstown rival Bluefield, WV, in game one, there's a decent chance Graham could complete a 30 game winning streak and run the table to go 15-0 two times in a row. To early to tell that though.
2. Union
3. Tazewell/Gate City/Ridgeview fighting for the 3 spot.
I’d love to see Graham beat Bluefield and complete a 30 game winning streak but man, that’s a tall order and definitely too early to tell if that’s even a real possibility. It’s nice to dream though!

I’d love to see Graham beat Bluefield and complete a 30 game winning streak but man, that’s a tall order and definitely too early to tell if that’s even a real possibility. It’s nice to dream though.

They currently have a 30 game regular season winning streak. Just mind boggling. Worried about 31 before all that other stuff. Fun to talk about. If they take it one at a time this group could be special as well.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Two old foes from way back in the day that might return to being a problem for opponents. Southampton and Gate City (2 historic powerhouses).

Last edited:
Reactions: 19GHS87
Southampton has Travis Parker as coach. I think this is his 3rd full season as coach. Their program was in bad shape when he took over. He played at Southampton and is distantly kin to legendary Southhampton Coach Littleton Parker and his son, Riddick Parker (who played in the NFL.) Travis Parker has kids out of the halls and created a community action type program for the student athletes. Things have already turned at SH. They may return to old form of the 70's and 80s in a year or two. The talent has always been there. It's a matter of getting kids out of the hallways, and it appears like Parker has done that, much like Graham's Tony Palmer and GC's Houseright.

Reactions: 19GHS87 and TS69
Region A.
1. Poquoson
2. King William
3. S. Hampton

Region B
1.Riverheads
2. Central
3. Draft

Region C.
1. Appo
2. Glenvar
3. Floyd Co.

Region D.
1. Graham
2. Union
3. Gate City.

I believe Region B will be the most battle tested Region to come out of, followed by C, then A and finally D.

I sound like a Homer because I think Graham will be the #1 team overall, but I believe they should be the team to beat, a lot of talent coming back. They should be hard to deal with again.. Good size and strength along both sides of the line. Strong, athletic linebacking corp and speed to burn at the skill positions. Big question will be QB play, but most of the season, the promising sophomore should be able to hand it off to some talented running backs. He will have plenty of time to develop. Hopefully some games where the G-men are in control and he can practice slinging the ball around a little . Can't wait to get this season rolling!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gridiron1960
I go repeats of Reg Title gms from last yr in A and C with KW/Poquson and Appo/Glenvar having really close games down to wire just like last yr. Reg D. Graham is favorite Union 2nd. Rg B. Riverheads favorite, Central and Draft could push Riverheads into a very close Rg Title game

I go repeats of Reg Title gms from last yr in A and C with KW/Poquson and Appo/Glenvar having really close games down to wire just like last yr. Reg D. Graham is favorite Union 2nd. Rg B. Riverheads favorite, Central and Draft could push Riverheads into a very close Rg Title game
I’m anxious to see how the first game out of gate for Riverheads against Central plays out. Forbes from CW is a stud and no disputing CCC from RH is an elite player. I can’t wait to see them match up.

Reactions: Bama1985
Region B

1 Central Woodstock ( Till someone Knocks them off return a lot and a very tough running back)
2 Riverheads ( Best running back in the region very good team)
3 Stuarts Draft ( Put a good team on the field every year and have what it takes to win the region)

Sleeper Team

1 Clarke County ( Very young team last year and did very well, could give top 3 teams a run for there money)
2 Strasburg ( Should be good again this year)

Region B

1 Central Woodstock ( Till someone Knocks them off return a lot and a very tough running back)
3 Stuarts Draft ( Put a good team on the field every year and have what it takes to win the region)

Sleeper Team

1 Clarke County ( Very young team last year and did very well, could give top 3 teams a run for there money)
Strasburg lost all of it's offensive production from last year to either graduation or transfer

Here is Strasburg's Schedule,

Buffalo Gap Away Scrimmage
Skyline Away
Broadway Home
Rock Ridge Away
Moorefield Away
King William Home
Page County Away
Luray Home
Clarke Home
Madison Co. Away
Central Home

Thoughts on there season. I see anywhere from 7-3 to 5-5. 7-3 I see losses to KW, Central and Skyline. I could see possibly dropping one to Clarke for 6-4 and maybe Luray for 5-5 with the other 3.

KW is playing Draft, Clarke, Woodstock and Strasburg this year. Gonna make for some good games, especially because it's different matchups that you normally wouldn't see unless in the state semifinals. KW has an extremely tough schedule this year, but I'm very excited about this team and I think this team will be more than ready for the tough schedule.

KW is playing Draft, Clarke, Woodstock and Strasburg this year. Gonna make for some good games, especially because it's different matchups that you normally wouldn't see unless in the state semifinals. KW has an extremely tough schedule this year, but I'm very excited about this team and I think this team will be more than ready for the tough schedule.
And you guys scrimmage Essex and Poquoson if I read correctly. Tough schedule for KW who will be more than battle tested come playoff time.

And you guys scrimmage Essex and Poquoson if I read correctly. Tough schedule for KW who will be more than battle tested come playoff time.
Yes those are the 2 scrimmages. Very excited about this season with the kids returning and a couple of new kids who have transferred from other schools who will be impact players

Region B

Sleeper Team

I think Luray will have a team too

Last year sitting down here in the valley below Harrisonburg, I got the idea from reading the paper that the entire Bull Run was strong. It seemed as if Clarke, Central, Strasburg and Luray all had terrific battles with each other. So will all four of those be contenders again this year or will one of them be ahead of the others?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT