ADVERTISEMENT

Wm. Byrd's Highfill to step down as soccer coach

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
William Byrd's Jeff Highfill, the school's head football coach and boy's soccer coach, will resign from the latter of those two positions after the current season, according to a story in today's Roanoke Times.

Highfill has held both coaching jobs since the 1981-82 school year.

I knew Highfill was Byrd's soccer coach, but I thought he'd only been doing that for perhaps ten years or so. I was surprised to learn that he has held the soccer job so long; in fact, Highfill is the only boys soccer coach in the program's history. I was also surprised to learn that Highfill led the Terriers to ten regional crowns and two state runner-up finishes on the pitch, in '91 and '96. Rounding out the list of things I learned (or had known and forgotten) is the fact that Highfill was Floyd County's head football coach in '79 and '80.

Highfill is a graduate of Andrew Lewis in Salem, now a middle school. Though his football teams have no state or regional titles to their credit, they should erect a statue of Highfill in Vinton one day, for his decades of service to the kids and community.

This raised a question in my mind: how many coaches out there double up in both the "footballs"? I would think it's pretty rare, especially in 3A and above; very rare for someone to do both for over 35 years. Does anyone know of another coach who leads both football and soccer?

http://m.roanoke.com/sports/high_sc...43c-998d-587e-8361-f69dbe0763e7.html?mode=jqm

Last edited:
William Byrd's Jeff Highfill, the school's head football coach and boy's soccer coach, will resign from the latter of those two positions after the current season, according to a story in today's Roanoke Times.

I knew Highfill was Byrd's soccer coach, but I thought he'd only been doing that for perhaps ten years or so. I was surprised to learn that he has held the soccer job so long; in fact, Highfill is the only boys soccer coach in the program's history. I was also surprised to learn that Highfill led the Terriers to ten regional crowns and two state runner-up finishes on the pitch, in '91 and '96. Rounding out the list of things I learned (or had known and forgotten) is the fact that Highfill was Floyd County's head football coach in '79 and '80.

Highfill is a graduate of Andrew Lewis in Salem, now a middle school. Though his football teams have no state or regional titles to their credit, they should erect a statue to Highfill in Vinton one day, for his decades of service to the kids and community.

This raised a question in my mind: how many coaches out there double up in both the "footballs"? I would think it's pretty rare, especially in 3A and above; very rare for someone to do both for over 35 years. Does anyone know of another coach who leads both football and soccer?

http://m.roanoke.com/sports/high_sc...43c-998d-587e-8361-f69dbe0763e7.html?mode=jqm

Congrats to Coach Highfill on that run juggling both sports. Never once heard from anyone in that community that he shortchanged one program for the other. I wholeheartedly agree with you Spartan, man deserves a statue somewhere around that Field for his service, probably should just rename the field after him as well.

Highfill is a graduate of Andrew Lewis in Salem, now a middle school. Though his football teams have no state or regional titles to their credit, they should erect a statue of Highfill in Vinton one day, for his decades of service to the kids and community.

I know Rich Serbey, from James Monroe, was Football and Baseball Coach plus AD for a number of years. Bob Oliver from Chancellor did both Football and baseball for more than 15 years.

Billy Russell was the AD and basketball coach at 5a Prince George for a considerable number of years. He is still the AD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT