ADVERTISEMENT

WP v. NHS Recap

MGF

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 25, 2012
Congratulations to NHS for the victory, but the real winners are the 17 players on WP who dominated every aspect of the game (with the exception of pass coverage) and never gave up. Everyone knew going into this game that WP secondary was WP’s chink in their armor and that proved to be the difference on the scoreboard. WP’s secondary problems were exasperated when WP lost their senior starting CB last Friday with a dislocated shoulder. WP had to throw in a sub that has seen limited playing time this season and there was a steep drop off in abilities at S and NHS exploited that all night.

WP ran 69 plays to NHS 35 and dominated the TOP 35 minutes to 12 minutes and first downs 23 to 10.

Although no discredit to Palmer’s abilities, the real show was WP’s #44 Lawrence Porter who had an amazing 53 carries with 279 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs (while also playing MLB 4 quarters). NHS simply could not stop him and the only thing that killed WP’s drives were their own offensive penalties.

WP started the game with the Power I, (reminiscent of Franklin’s bruising Power I) where #44 (230 lbs) enjoyed the blocking of PB #11 Brady Uzel (250 lbs) and FB #23 Noah Lawson (240 lbs) and of course WP OL’s blocking. NHS could not stop it with #44 picking up huge chunks of real estate on every play and getting first downs nearly every other carry. WP could have won the game with the Power I alone but for reasons we will probably never know, WP kept jumping in and out of different formations when it was not necessary. There was no need to trick or hide that #44 was getting the ball because NHS could not stop WP’s Power I. This is what Franklin did back in the day and they didn’t care that you know where they were running and who they were running.

As others posted earlier, losing any one of our starters would impact the game for WP. WP played without their starting senior DB and WP lost their LG early in the 3Q for the serious injury (previously reported). On that same play, WP’s only QB left the game for a concussion. WP did not have a repped backup QB for the game and used their WB #4 to do the job for the remaining 2 quarters. His level of preparation was basically taking warm up snaps on the sideline during the game delay for the ambulance crew.

I’m rooting for NHS for the rest of the postseason play, but if anyone from Essex is reading this, you only need to do two things to defeat NHS which unfortunately WP did not make happen:

1. When Palmer is at QB, turn him inside between the tackles sooner rather than later, with your DEs playing outside leverage—don’t play your DE inside for an easy down block (and don’t play your OLB in 9 on the LOS—you’re going to need all of your LBs to tackle Palmer even inside the tackles).

2. When #12 is at QB and Palmer is at receiver, you have to double cover Palmer (under and over top). Best to run a 4-3 with two safeties because NHS also has another good receiver that you can’t let get behind you. #12 is very accurate and has a quick release so you have to crash your DEs on him to put pressure on him—#12 is not a scramble threat so you can drop your MLB to help take away the slant and your MLB can still come up and make the play on #12 if he decides to tuck and run. Your OLB alignment needs to take away the slant to the #2 receiver (don’t play them up on the LOS where they are already out of position at the snap of the ball to defend the slant).

Best of luck NHS! Great season WP!

Reactions: RappriverEHS
Porter is definitely one of the best players in 1A, if he's not 1st team all-star something is wrong. Other teams may be better all around but it would be tough for anyone to convince me there is anyone better in 1A.

Who would stop Porter if he had 52 carries. Northumberland did enough to slow him down. It was plenty times Northumberland stop him in the back field and maybe for a 1 or 2 yard gain. After West Point two early scores they didn’t score no more until the 4th quarter I believe. And no disrespect to Porter but to say he stole the show from Palmer is a bit much.

Reactions: uvacavs1
WP 44 was good and all but Palmer put on a show. NHS only had one big run but the rest of their Offense came with passing the ball. Teams talk about all you need to do to stop Palmer is do this or that but never seem to be able to do it. You need athletes to slow down Palmer and Essex doesn't have the skill guys to slow him. Their best shot is to pound the ball down their throat.
The only team to knock off NHS was Rapp and they had the skill guys to match up with them but unfortunately they are no longer playing

And Rappahannock had skill guys to slow Palmer down? What skill guys do they have that Essex doesn't?

Congratulations to NHS for the victory, but the real winners are the 17 players on WP who dominated every aspect of the game (with the exception of pass coverage) and never gave up. Everyone knew going into this game that WP secondary was WP’s chink in their armor and that proved to be the difference on the scoreboard. WP’s secondary problems were exasperated when WP lost their senior starting CB last Friday with a dislocated shoulder. WP had to throw in a sub that has seen limited playing time this season and there was a steep drop off in abilities at S and NHS exploited that all night.

WP ran 69 plays to NHS 35 and dominated the TOP 35 minutes to 12 minutes and first downs 23 to 10.

Although no discredit to Palmer’s abilities, the real show was WP’s #44 Lawrence Porter who had an amazing 53 carries with 279 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs (while also playing MLB 4 quarters). NHS simply could not stop him and the only thing that killed WP’s drives were their own offensive penalties.

WP started the game with the Power I, (reminiscent of Franklin’s bruising Power I) where #44 (230 lbs) enjoyed the blocking of PB #11 Brady Uzel (250 lbs) and FB #23 Noah Lawson (240 lbs) and of course WP OL’s blocking. NHS could not stop it with #44 picking up huge chunks of real estate on every play and getting first downs nearly every other carry. WP could have won the game with the Power I alone but for reasons we will probably never know, WP kept jumping in and out of different formations when it was not necessary. There was no need to trick or hide that #44 was getting the ball because NHS could not stop WP’s Power I. This is what Franklin did back in the day and they didn’t care that you know where they were running and who they were running.

As others posted earlier, losing any one of our starters would impact the game for WP. WP played without their starting senior DB and WP lost their LG early in the 3Q for the serious injury (previously reported). On that same play, WP’s only QB left the game for a concussion. WP did not have a repped backup QB for the game and used their WB #4 to do the job for the remaining 2 quarters. His level of preparation was basically taking warm up snaps on the sideline during the game delay for the ambulance crew.

I’m rooting for NHS for the rest of the postseason play, but if anyone from Essex is reading this, you only need to do two things to defeat NHS which unfortunately WP did not make happen:

1. When Palmer is at QB, turn him inside between the tackles sooner rather than later, with your DEs playing outside leverage—don’t play your DE inside for an easy down block (and don’t play your OLB in 9 on the LOS—you’re going to need all of your LBs to tackle Palmer even inside the tackles).

2. When #12 is at QB and Palmer is at receiver, you have to double cover Palmer (under and over top). Best to run a 4-3 with two safeties because NHS also has another good receiver that you can’t let get behind you. #12 is very accurate and has a quick release so you have to crash your DEs on him to put pressure on him—#12 is not a scramble threat so you can drop your MLB to help take away the slant and your MLB can still come up and make the play on #12 if he decides to tuck and run. Your OLB alignment needs to take away the slant to the #2 receiver (don’t play them up on the LOS where they are already out of position at the snap of the ball to defend the slant).

Best of luck NHS! Great season WP!

MGF,

I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Porter, as I stated, was a stud indeed.

I had to laugh how you said a couple times, I am pulling for NHS to win next week, but, Essex, if you want to defeat them, here would be my game plan to beat the Indians lol.

No concerns though - Yes, Northumberland's Palmer is unreal, outstanding, the best overall athlete in 1A. Yes, NHS also has another fantastic WR in Collin Saunders - he has made two crazy good, circus type catches two weeks in a row. NHS has a really good QB. Everyone already knows this...

NHS' D has been tough and has made the big plays when needed.

Essex runs Dameron and then runs Dameron and then runs Dameron....sounds like what WP just did with Porter.

Should be another thriller next Saturday at Northumberland.

The edge might (hopefully for Indian fans) be home field advantage for Northumberland.

Plus, NHS Coach Lewis as a varsity head coach is undefeated at home (like 11-0).

Last game v Essex was packed.

Not sold on Essex D gave up 20 first half points to Northampton a team that didn’t even score a offense of TD against NHS.

I guess both times Essex played them they were way off but they brought their A game against northumberland

Who would stop Porter if he had 52 carries. Northumberland did enough to slow him down. It was plenty times Northumberland stop him in the back field and maybe for a 1 or 2 yard gain. After West Point two early scores they didn’t score no more until the 4th quarter I believe. And no disrespect to Porter but to say he stole the show from Palmer is a bit much.

First, I did not say 44 stole the show from Palmer. Palmer is a threat anytime he touches the ball; but his yards came from maybe five big plays when the WP D made mistakes, otherwise WP did contain him on the run. That’s quite different than knowing 44 is going to run to the right nearly every play and you still allow him to get a first down every two plays. And sorry, there were not “plenty of times” 44 was tackled for loss or no gain, unless you consider maybe 5 out of 53 carries “plenty of times”. And to have the same back do that to you for 53 plays? That was my point. Two different styles of RBs, I never said one was better than the other. But how many times in high school football do you get to see a RB carry 53 times averaging 5+ yards per carry for 4 quarters and never get winded or come out the game for a break? IMO, that is just as impressive to watch as waiting for a RB to bust a big Play now and then. And as I’ve alrea stated, WP’s turnover on downs were not a result of NHS stopping 44; it was due to penalties putting WP at 2nd and 25 or 3 and 20, etc or a stupid decision to go away from what’s working just because you feel like you need to run something different. NHS won because they have a great passing game and WP is not good at covering the pass. NHS HC was smart and exploited WP’s only weakness.

Reactions: deffenbaugh
First, I did not say 44 stole the show from Palmer. Palmer is a threat anytime he touches the ball; but his yards came from maybe five big plays when the WP D made mistakes, otherwise WP did contain him on the run. That’s quite different than knowing 44 is going to run to the right nearly every play and you still allow him to get a first down every two plays. And sorry, there were not “plenty of times” 44 was tackled for loss or no gain, unless you consider maybe 5 out of 53 carries “plenty of times”. And to have the same back do that to you for 53 plays? That was my point. Two different styles of RBs, I never said one was better than the other. But how many times in high school football do you get to see a RB carry 53 times averaging 5+ yards per carry for 4 quarters and never get winded or come out the game for a break? IMO, that is just as impressive to watch as waiting for a RB to bust a big Play now and then. And as I’ve alrea stated, WP’s turnover on downs were not a result of NHS stopping 44; it was due to penalties putting WP at 2nd and 25 or 3 and 20, etc or a stupid decision to go away from what’s working just because you feel like you need to run something different. NHS won because they have a great passing game and WP is not good at covering the pass. NHS HC was smart and exploited WP’s only weakness.

Yes you did say number 44 was the real show, which is like saying he stole the show. I know you will come back on this post and say that wasn't what you said, but people on here are football educated and know what you said. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought playoff game!

I've enjoyed following these threads about Northumberland this season. I have a rooting interest there but have not been able to make the games. Just watching highlights on HUDL. Most seem to agree. Stop Palmer and win. Some keep wishing for it to happen. Gotta give credit to their coach. They have become multi-dimensional on offense finding ways to make sure Palmer gets his touches and the outcome of playoff games are proof positive. Maybe their next opponents figures it out...but the best players are considered such because of results. Football games are usually decided by big plays and the Indians have the best BIG play player in the region in Palmer.

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
I would think Palmer is tops in all of 1A as far as explosive, big play potential. Not as familiar with the studs in Region C, but Palmer can do it all very well!

On the WP side, if Porter isn’t 1st team All-State for 1A, it’s a sham.

This got me looking for some video of Porter and didn’t find much. What I did see of him looked solid for sure.

The WP v NHS Hudl Video is not up yet. Last year’s Sophomore Offense and Defense Highlights are on Hudl. 924 yards on 79 carries, 11 receptions for 129 yards. Google Lawrence Porter Hudl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT