ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another thing Appo and CC have in common

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
Other than the similarities they share on the field such as big, strong, physical, fast teams. Both are playing for their 1st championship respectively (we all know that by now). But I bet most didn't know they have the EXACT same number of students at each school! Both have 712 students according to the most recent VHSL ADM numbers. Don't believe me? Check out the link below. This is getting too wierd :eek: lol

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-March 31 2014 ADM--Revised 6-24-14.pdf

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Other than the similarities they share on the field such as big, strong, physical, fast teams. Both are playing for their 1st championship respectively (we all know that by now). But I bet most didn't know they have the EXACT same number of students at each school! Both have 712 students according to the most recent VHSL ADM numbers. Don't believe me? Check out the link below. This is getting too wierd :eek: lol

Thats 2014 though?

The major difference between 2 schools, (maybe only difference) is Appomattox has good passing attack.

Y
Thats 2014 though?
Yea but it's the most recent because the VHSL doesnt update the numbers ehat use to be every two years but I heard something that they were going to every four years. So they won't recount until next year or 2018. So the numbers might be slightly different in reality but that's what they use for classification so I thought it was interesting

So, what you're trying to say is, two of the largest schools in AA played for the championship in football. Anyone else surprised???

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
So, what you're trying to say is, two of the largest schools in AA played for the championship in football. Anyone else surprised???
So what? Buffalo Gap was a final 4 team and they're 5th from the bottom in enrollment in 2A. Union was 24th in enrollment in 2A. Wanna make it 8 or 10 classes so you can have an even playing field?

Reactions: VolNation85
Can someone list the 8 largest 2A schools on this board, with enrollment numbers. ( I cannot open link)
Central (Wise)-766 (moved down from 3A last year)
George Mason-741
Wilson Memorial-741
Goochland-733
Stuarts Draft-728 (moved down from 3A last year)
Lee-727
Maggie Walker Gov. School-723 (I don't think they have football)
R.E. Lee (Staunton)-715

No, I wasn't trying to say that at all. I was simply making an observation. IMO, enrollment numbers can be overrated. Just because a school has more students is not a guarantee that they are the better football team. It only means they have a larger number of students that MIGHT play football. There are so many other factors that go into a building a successful football program other than having more students than your competition.

Central (Wise)-766 (moved down from 3A last year)
George Mason-741
Wilson Memorial-741
Goochland-733
Stuarts Draft-728 (moved down from 3A last year)
Lee-727
Maggie Walker Gov. School-723 (I don't think they have football)
R.E. Lee (Staunton)-715
I'm thinking that was Central Woodstock instead of Central Wise sitting at the top of 2A as far as enrollment.

Reactions: white&blue
Of the top 8. I think only 1 has played in state championship game in last 10 years. It might be 2. I not sure about one of the schools.

one
No, I wasn't trying to say that at all. I was simply making an observation. IMO, enrollment numbers can be overrated. Just because a school has more students is not a guarantee that they are the better football team. It only means they have a larger number of students that MIGHT play football. There are so many other factors that go into a building a successful football program other than having more students than your competition.
Bigger enrollment plays a huge roll in football. Maybe not so much in basketball but the more bodies you have to chose from, especially in the smaller divisions, the more likely you are to have success on the gridiron.

I am not saying that is the only factor, and there are always exceptions, but it sure is an advantage to have 700 students v. 500 when fielding a football team. I am not one of those folks who think the divisions have to equal either. I liked the old "A" "AA" "AAA" with only one state champion in each division.

Last edited:
one
Bigger enrollment plays a huge roll in football. Maybe not so much in basketball but the more bodies you have to chose from, especially in the smaller divisions, the more likely you are to have success on the gridiron.

I am not saying that is the only factor, and there are always exceptions, but it sure is an advantage to have 700 students v. 500 when fielding a football team. I am not one of those folks who think the divisions have to equal either. I liked the old "A" "AA" "AAA" with only one state champion in each division.
I'll give you that, it probably is a bigger factor on the 1A and 2A levels. I have spent all but one year of my coaching career at 3A or larger and the enrollment numbers doesn't seem to have as much of an impact in the larger divisions. For example, this year's 5A championship was Highland Springs-Stone Bridge. HS is the 20th largest and SB is the 23rd largest school in 5A. The 4A championship the last two years was Salem-Lake Taylor. Salem is the 13th SMALLEST school and LT is the 12th SMALLEST school in 4A. So while it might be factor in some cases, it usually isn't a main factor. In my years of coaching I have found that the culture of the school/community and the character of the kids has as great of impact on the success of a football program as anything!

one

Wasn't that true last in the early 1980s?

I couldn't agree more! It's all about the quality of players (both on and off the field), not the quantity of players.
You are missing my point...you are more likely to find those 28 players from a pool of 700 than you are from a pool of 500.

Reactions: VolNation85
I once saw a JV team dress 55 players. 11 guys played both ways. That coach should have been fired and ran out of town. With 55 players on roster at JV level, no one should have gone both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT