ADVERTISEMENT

You make the call '16, No. 1.

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
We'll start this off with easy ones.

Team A has a good kicker who is attempting a 55 yard field goal. Team B put a very tall player in the endzone.

Situation 1. The kick is short and the B player catches the ball 2 yards deep in the endzone, then takes off on a return.

Is this allowed?

Situation 2. The kick is coming down very near the crossbar. The back judge determines that the ball would have gone over the goal post, but the Team B player was able to leap high enough to knock it away.

What's the ruling?

Situation 3: The kick is coming down very near the crossbar. The Team B player leaps to block the kick but instead the ball bounces off his hands and over the crossbar.

What's the ruling?

August is coming.

#1 Not returnable from the end zone?
#2 Since first touched past the line of scrimmage, a penalty ensues?
#3 Penalty can be declined and field goal is counted?

That's my guesses, but let's see what others have to say before you reveal the answers.

And thanks for taking the time to help educate us.

We'll start this off with easy ones.

Team A has a good kicker who is attempting a 55 yard field goal. Team B put a very tall player in the endzone.

Situation 1. The kick is short and the B player catches the ball 2 yards deep in the endzone, then takes off on a return.

Is this allowed?

Situation 2. The kick is coming down very near the crossbar. The back judge determines that the ball would have gone over the goal post, but the Team B player was able to leap high enough to knock it away.

What's the ruling?

Situation 3: The kick is coming down very near the crossbar. The Team B player leaps to block the kick but instead the ball bounces off his hands and over the crossbar.

What's the ruling?

August is coming.
Don't know the exact rules here but here are my best guesses.
1. In the end zone, no return allowed. Ball at the 20.
2. Blocked kick. Ball at the kicking team line of scrimmage.
3. FG good.

I'll wait a couple more days before posting the answer.

I encourage others to offer a guess, even if it's in agreement with answers already posted.

My guesses (educated or not):

1) Dead ball returners possession on the 20
2) Legal block.
3) Kick is good. Similar to kick glancing off of a helmet and continuing through uprights

My guesses (educated or not):

1) Dead ball returners possession on the 20
2) Legal block.
3) Kick is good. Similar to kick glancing off of a helmet and continuing through uprights
Welcome to the forum, onlylabs.

Ok White Hat, set us straight!

Shauntclair was very close , missing only the spot that the ball would be next put in play in part 2, Onlylabs just said it was a legal block, as did shauntclair, but did not offer the place of the next snap.

ALL KICKS going into B's endzone are touchbacks, except those that score by going through the goal. A lot of people think that blocking a field goal at the crossbar is illegal, much like goal tending in basketball, but it's perfectly legal, although extremely rare.

Similarly, a ball that caroms through the goal off a defensive player (or offensive player behind the neutral zone, for that matter) is considered good.

On another note, I went to this page on my bookmarks and got a message that the page was retired, so I thought it was gone for good. Happened to poke around and found it again. Not sure what happened.

Could a member of the kicking team legally do a volleyball move at the goal line and bat the ball through the goalpost?

Could a member of the kicking team legally do a volleyball move at the goal line and bat the ball through the goalpost?

Nope. That wold be illegal batting. The only time a member of a kicking team can legally bat a ball is if it's being batted away from the goal line to prevent a touchback.

Ok, I'm being booed from both sides of the stadium. Let's have another one to give me a chance for redemption.

On another note, I went to this page on my bookmarks and got a message that the page was retired, so I thought it was gone for good. Happened to poke around and found it again. Not sure what happened.

I think Rivals must have changed the URL address of this and other forums. None of my old bookmarks work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT