ADVERTISEMENT

Your Mt Rushmore

Jerome Trussell should rate at least an honorable mention. I still have bad memories of how he single-handedly wrecked Salem on both sides of the ball in the 1989 state semifinals. And, he did the same thing to Courtland in the state championship.
I agree, I love #22 , he refused to lose.

Some good choices. GW Danville would be tough for anyone close to the program. So many outstanding players. Heck, my dad said the 1968 GW team was fantastic and I can attest to the 1981 and 1982 teams. Moorman, Harris, Covingtons..... Studs.

I would like to hear from the Pulaski folks. They too had some studs back in the day.

I realize PH Roanoke is not in Class 4, but most everyone knows their history. Here's my take.

Coach: Merrill Gainer. 1973 State Championship. Willis Whites mentor.

Offense: Alvin Comer, quarterback. Played at VMI and still holds many school records.

Tim Dudley, running back. Set 20 school records. High school All American. Played one season at VA Tech and transferred to Hampton University.

Defense: Scott Hillman. Starting DE and fullback. Played and started at UVA. Cut by the Lions in preseason.

Shannon Taylor. All State lb. Played at UVA and the NFL.

CO-All Arounds: Bobby Blankenship. 3 year starter. Played safety, wide receiver, and quarterback (senior year). Played VA Tech until getting hurt. Never played competative golf, but tried out and made the 1986 VA Tech golf team. Fantastic baseball and basketball player as well.

Banard Basham, tight end and defensive end. Played at VA Tech. Played on one of the best state basketball championship teams ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT