ADVERTISEMENT

Your Mt Rushmore

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
We often debate who the best coach, who the best player was but we are going to get a bit more specific in this debate.
We are all fans of this or that school... If you could build a Mt Rushmore of the best in your football programs history, who would make the cut?

There are rules with this...
1 must be a head coach
1 must be a defensive player
1 must be an offensive player
1 can be a special teams, defense or offensive player... a wild card if you will.

So who makes your schools Mt Rushmore?

George Wythe and this is simply mine I know others will have a very different 4
Coach Pruitt
Offensive player Larry McCoy
Defensive player Timmy Norris
Wild Card Jakes Sharitz

This is a great topic for a thread I mean there are so many others that deserve spots.
Dee Kitts
Grizzly Parks
Brandon Atwell
Trey and Devin Smith
Tyrus Gardner
Pretty Much the whole 1983 team and yes I know Dee played on that team lol.
The list goes on and on

In my humble opinion this is my Riverheads Mt Rushmore.
Coach-Robert Casto: 222 wins and 6 state championships
Offensive Player- Logan Moore: 89TDs, state champion
Defensive Player- Ridge Stokes: DPY, state champion
Wildcard- Mike Herndon: Pitt grad, undrafted free agent signee with New Orleans Saints

I am not trying to overlook players prior to 2010 but that’s when the machine went into high gear.

A few other that deserve to be mentioned here:
Andrew Hemp
Jacob Hutchinson
Jordan Jack
Harrison Schaefer
Austin Smiley
Sam Goodson
Franklin Miller

Last edited:
All good ones. Very hard to narrow it down to just four, as I am sure it would be for almost any school. I know Riverheads had some standouts in the 70s and 80s but as you pointed out, the more recent ones are logically the ones that stick in your mind. I see for example that you chose a recent place kicker for your honorable mention list but we have had 7 or 8 of those who were exceptional over the years. Too many players too many games too many years!!!!

All good ones. Very hard to narrow it down to just four, as I am sure it would be for almost any school. I know Riverheads had some standouts in the 70s and 80s but as you pointed out, the more recent ones are logically the ones that stick in your mind. I see for example that you chose a recent place kicker for your honorable mention list but we have had 7 or 8 of those who were exceptional over the years. Too many players too many games too many years!!!!

I think it's hard for any school as you said, so many players/years and would depend on that certain persons view too.

I certainly don't mean him, because he was a fantastic player, but since he had exposure recently and rightfully so, use someone like Herndon. I'm sure there have been players around the Valley who were considered just as good in high school, but didnt have the measurables to get to a big time school. And when you look at them after HS, it's hard not to side with Mike in that situation. He is after all on an NFL roster, something 99% of players won't get.

I'll give a good example from something I have seen. Maybe a lot of the 1a people wouldn't have. But I have seen better HS QBs than Logan Thomas from Brookville. And he was drafted by Arizona. If I remember correctly, the QB after him at Brookville was really good as a HS qb. But how do you put someone over an NFL guy?

For Altavista:
Coach- Mike Scharnus
Player- Juan Thornhill
Player- Micah Moon
Player- Toss up between Chris Clark and Jerrell Jordan

Im sure there will be some debate on this, and that's OK....none of us are experts

Reactions: dringtuoti
Wish someone from Appalachia would do this. It would be Tom Turner (HC, 5-6 titles), Edd Clark, a great defender and then either Travis Turner or Travis Clark as a WC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT