ADVERTISEMENT

Your suggestions will be appreciated!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
My goal this fall is to attend 11 football games, at 11 stadiums that I have never visited before. My first game will be Central (L) at Altavista on August 26.

I’m making it a day trip with my wife, so we will be stopping at a few places along the way. I’ll start the morning out headed west on Rt 40 coming out of Blackstone. We will make stops in Kenbridge, Victoria, Keysville, Brookneal, and Greta, before heading up to Altavista for supper and the game.

What are your suggestions or recommendations to stop and see along the way? And especially, where would you recommend stopping to eat. I figure we will be in the lunch mode somewhere around Keysville or Brookneal. Any recommendations? (Don’t recommend Sheldon’s in Keysville, it has changed hands is is nothing like it was.)

We like locally owned, simple places to eat and visit. So please share your recommendations.

We will want to eat supper in Altavista around 5:00, so what can you recommend there?

As far as the game goes, if last season has any bearing, Central will be a tough challenge for the Colonels. I’m not traveling to the places to see the best games, but rather to just see new places. And hopefully make new friends. So the outcome of the game is not important.

If you are going to be at this game and would like to say hello, I would love to meet you. You can send me a DM, or just say hey, meet me at such and such a spot at halftime or sometime.

I’m looking forward to my crazy little idea this fall, and I’m hoping to get some good suggestions from you good folks.

Thank you, DP

Reactions: uvacavs1
Top local establishments in Altavista probably include

Piece of Pie (Pizza obviously)
Tastey Freeze (Small town typical Dairy Freeze type faire)
There's a little hole in the wall Hibachi place across the Bridge in Hurt and a little pub/sandwich place across from the elementary school called Two Sisters Also have a few typical small town Mexican and Italian sit down places you can venture to.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Top local establishments in Altavista probably include

Piece of Pie (Pizza obviously)
Tastey Freeze (Small town typical Dairy Freeze type faire)
There's a little hole in the wall Hibachi place across the Bridge in Hurt and a little pub/sandwich place across from the elementary school called Two Sisters Also have a few typical small town Mexican and Italian sit down places you can venture to.
What about around Greta?

What about around Greta?
Gretna I don't venture to as much but has a few local Mexican and Italian places that are pretty good. Mama Rosa's and El Cazador are good. Now I feel I dropped the ball on my original post by staying within town limits given the direction you'd be traveling, if you want some of the best steak from an interesting venue you have ever had I would suggest Perky's right outside of Altavista town limits on 29 north. Perky's gives you the feel of a small greasy spoon dinner until they pull out a steak that seemingly melts in your mouth and is prime steakhouse quality.

Now you have created a dilemma for me. I told my wife that we would just eat a big lunch at The Drug Store Grill in Brookneal. And just get a hot dog at the game. But now I want to try that steak for for supper. 🥺

I hear that the Tasty Freeze has some type of special ice cream that is really popular? What do you know about that?

Hey Dinwiddie Proud,
I take back my assessment of Altavista!! I was remembering Gretna and confusing it with Altavista because Essex played both teams so frequently from 2008-2014! Never been to Altavista! Sorry about that Altavista folks!

Hey Dinwiddie Proud,
I take back my assessment of Altavista!! I was remembering Gretna and confusing it with Altavista because Essex played both teams so frequently from 2008-2014! Never been to Altavista! Sorry about that Altavista folks!
No problem. BTW, Essex is on my list this year. I’ll let you know which game.

My mistake, Dinwiddie at Heritage, Lynchburg.

Well crap, unless I make the trip on past Lynchburg first, no gut grenade from Moore’s on this trip.

How about some suggestions for somewhere to eat in the general area of Heritage HS. Preferably something locally owned.

Mike, how do you like my new avatar? That worthless cat showed up from nowhere some months back. The last thing we needed was another cat. But, as you can see, he has acclimated well.
Do you have any cats these days?

My mistake, Dinwiddie at Heritage, Lynchburg.

Well crap, unless I make the trip on past Lynchburg first, no gut grenade from Moore’s on this trip.

How about some suggestions for somewhere to eat in the general area of Heritage HS. Preferably something locally owned.
Moore's is between Appomattox and Lynchburg on 460, so you should pass it on the way in.

Mike, how do you like my new avatar? That worthless cat showed up from nowhere some months back. The last thing we needed was another cat. But, as you can see, he has acclimated well.
Do you have any cats these days?
I have one cat these days. His name is Major, but his full name is Major, Pain in the A$$.

Well gang, my plans have changed, as far as 11 games at 11 stadiums. I was asked if I wold help out on Friday nights at Dinwiddie with support logistics. I was honored to be asked and could not say no.

Having said that, if I can get my mean ole boss to give me a day off this fall, I’m still going to make my road trip down Rt 40 west from Blackstone.

Hey Knightfan, doesn’t that Tastee Freeze in Altavista sell some type of special ice cream that is extremely popular?

Well gang, my plans have changed, as far as 11 games at 11 stadiums. I was asked if I wold help out on Friday nights at Dinwiddie with support logistics. I was honored to be asked and could not say no.

Having said that, if I can get my mean ole boss to give me a day off this fall, I’m still going to make my road trip down Rt 40 west from Blackstone.

Hey Knightfan, doesn’t that Tastee Freeze in Altavista sell some type of special ice cream that is extremely popular?
I believe you’re correct, I will double check with my local buddies and let you know. Hoping to make the trip to A-Town in a few weeks for the Buckingham/Altavista annual scrimmage. Been an annual tradition since two legendary coaches in Gill and Scharnus were leading the respective programs 15 years ago!

I believe you’re correct, I will double check with my local buddies and let you know. Hoping to make the trip to A-Town in a few weeks for the Buckingham/Altavista annual scrimmage. Been an annual tradition since two legendary coaches in Gill and Scharnus were leading the respective programs 15 years ago!
Thank you.
It seldom gets talked about, but I think a fair number of teams have this type of scrimmage history. I know that Dinwiddie has scrimmaged LC Bird almost every year during the Billy Mills era. Of course, Bird has changed coaches a couple of times so that part of any legacy is not relevant.

Thank you.
It seldom gets talked about, but I think a fair number of teams have this type of scrimmage history. I know that Dinwiddie has scrimmaged LC Bird almost every year during the Billy Mills era. Of course, Bird has changed coaches a couple of times so that part of any legacy is not relevant.
For the Altavista/Buckingham scrimmage what is wild is that both current Head coaches cut their teeth as assistants years ago when the teams began scrimmaging. Wilkerson under Gill and Cox under Scharnus. It has created a few great matchups! In 2009, both teams went toe to toe with one another and then probably surprised everyone in their respective divisions, Buckingham by going from 5-5 to 10-0 and Altavista by winning a state title. Then in 13 the Knights went to the state semis while the Colonels won title #2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT