ADVERTISEMENT

5a central region favorites

bunymin

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2003
I know its early but which of these teams goes the furthest? LCB, Herm, Manchester or Atlee? The most logical choice is LCB being two time defending state champion with plenty coming back. All of these teams have picked up one or more very impactful transfers. My sleeper pick is Atlee, if what they have coming is true then they could be better than last year on both sides of the ball. Manchester may have the best offensive unit in the area but cant play defense. Herm lacks the star power that they have had n recent years but still has plenty firepower. Are there any teams that can contend with these 4? how about MBK or DSF? anyone know what these teams have this year?

Well from what I have seen of The Herm they are definitely not lacking star power. I was extremely impressed with their overall talent and Robinson is a Star. Let me say again QB/FS Robinson is a STAR, and I seen him play alot of safety as the coaches seem to be giving the backup QB most of the work this off season. Now this was just a couple of times in 7on7, but they have speed... I mean alot of speed. From what I hear almost every tournament they have entered they have made it to the final four and won a couple of them. They also have that Big young DT that already has multiple offers. Now saying that, you gotta like Bird, they are well set again. We all know bout the transfers to Bird and Bedwell is the master, lets see if they can do it again. Herm vs Bird in the region for the last 4 years and I don't see why that won't continue in 2014...............
I also like MBK... seen them a UR and they have talent, which makes for a good early season match up MBK vs HERM. Get ur POPCORN ready.. Gotta check the schedule, but I think it will be the 1st game for both teams...

I also have to give The Springers some love. I think they will be in the mix when its all said and done

This post was edited on 7/3 4:00 PM by 2foot

You are correct about Robinson he is a absolute stud but hes no derrick green or curtis grant. Ive seen them in 7v7 a few times also and it makes me wonder why the backup is getting so many reps. I forgot about the springers, they may be the fastest time in the area. Speed at every position, its pretty impressive.

Also, speaking of Atlee, I assume ur speaking of a certain private school transfer that could have a big impact on the Raiders.???? Well I hate to assume, so can u set us all straight on what you have heard?? Take ur time, give us the 411

Highland Springs has one or two or three transfers too. One of them is an impact player. They too have been to several 7 on 7 tournaments as well and have won several and made it to within the last game several times too. They won the Mike London/UVA team camp with 10-0 record. They won their first 5 and was eliminated in game 6 at NC State Camp 7 on 7 tournament. I've seen them play over at TJ on Tuesday and they look good!!! They are alternating 3 qbs. that position is to be decided. BUT.... they are loaded with speed and size at WR and RB positions. If they can put together decent lines on both sides of the ball, they will be hard to beat! I assume they will because they are returning lots of them from last year... I know that they have 2 LB's that are among the best in the Region if not State. Count on them being in the mix.
This post was edited on 7/4 12:21 PM by springer76

Hearing all sorts of rumors, I would be assuming at this point and you know what happens when you assume.

I make last year's playoff teams the favorites, here's my top ten, in something of an order, but I only thought about it for about 20 seconds.

L.C. Bird
Hermitage
Highland Springs
Manchester
Atlee
Meadowbrook
Douglas Freeman
Mills Godwin
Lee-Davis
Matoaca

I didn't hear any rumors. I went, I saw. I happen to know one that has transfered and he is a stud. I saw their line improve through the year last year and ended pretty strong. The large majority of the linemen are back. My assumption (or inkling) is that the line will be at least decent! We will see!!! Time is not going by fast enough for me 'cause I can't wait for football season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Springers!!

Predictions are FOS, but here is my contribution to the pile.
1 HSHS
2 Herm
3 Bird
4 Manchester
5 MBK
6 Freeman
7 Atlee
8 Lee Davis
9 Goodwin
10 Matoaca

Just a thought, but any team in the top 5 would beat any 6A team from the "central region".... To me the strength around here is definitely in 5A..

Dont sleep on Thomas Dale, i think the program is headed in the right direction finally and you should see them being the powerhouse that they were in the past again very soon.

after the top 6 or 7 teams the talent drops drastically

1 LCB
2 HERM
3 MANCHESTER
4 ATLEE
5 MBK
6 HSHS
7 DSF
8 MATOACA
9 LEE DAVIS
10 GODWIN

We shall see! HSHS scrimmages a very talented North Stafford team Aug. 9 and we will have a test with Thomas Dale Aug. 14 . Then open with always tough Colonial Forge, then an improved Brook Point at BP, then MBK, we know that will be a battle, then Hanover . Never take the Hawkes lightly!
Come on August!! I can't wait!!! Go Springers!!

Wow 2foot, I can't believe you have Bird 3rd. I think they have a better chance of winning it all this year than they did last year. I think they have improved significantly from last year. And, I have a lot more respect for Thomas Dale than most are showing. I would put them 4th, behind Bird, HSHS & Herm. And I put HSHS and Herm. as a "pick-em". I see Atlee as the team that really surprises. I know Meadowbrook is supposed to be much improved, but it don't think they will be much better than last year. Very good again, but not better. They have some marquee players retuning, but holes with no proven players to fill them. All the rest, I think you can shake in a can like Yahtzee cubes and dump them out, and you get what you get.

Originally posted by springer76:

I think you are right Dinwiddie Proud. Come playoff time in D5 this year will be fun here in RVA.
Class 5A is EASILY the deepest in the state. There are 12-15 programs would could legitimately win the state.

LoL... That's why I say predictions are FOS. I have no idea what I'm saying. But my thoughts are for Bird it's hard to replace 5 or 6 D1 caliber players year after year. That team for the last two years had some talent. I think it's a toss up between Herm and HSHS, that Herm team is really stacked. They played a lot of back ups in the 7on7 tourneys I saw with not a lot of drop off. Not sure if they carried around a B team, but in one tournament I saw the Herm B team was holding their own against the big boys. You're only as good as the last man, Kane and his staff seem to be preparing for the long haul. I also like HSHS, that game with Herm last year was one the best I've seen in a while. If they can figure out the QB everything else seems to be set. Now that will be a tall order, cause replacing Johnson will be no easy tasked. With all that said it will come down to Bird, Herm, or HSHS in my opinion. But who am I?

Don't sleep on Manchester...

Highland Springs QB competition I hear is between two, a sophomore and a Macho Harris younger brother.

See, who am I? Macho's younger brother is Victroy Harris. He is 6-4 or 6-5 tall, lanky and has played only basketball for the past 3 years. He can play basketball pretty damn good, but can he play football? He's a senior this year coming. He is Macho's brother and his Dad was a multi-talented, multi sport phenom at King William when he was a high schooler. Maybe Dad and or Big Brother have influenced him?
This is the 3rd time I have heard Victroy might be the one!

Well I've heard three names mentioned this offseason and Victroy and a sophomore named Jawan Carter I believe is the other.

The big question should be, who is the Head Coach going to be? Rumors have it that LJ is getting the AD's job.

If there is going to be a change at head coach then I hope it would happen soon rather than later. I remember just last year Coach Just at Hanover became the AD and it wasn't till the day that the Hawks went to camp that it was announced Stoudt would be coach. With July here and football practice beginning next month you are running out of time to find someone unless you were to promote within.

Someone said the Lee-Davis job is no longer on the Hanover County website but I have not yet heard who would be hired or is taking on that job.

I think somebody should have told the college coaches that. Bird kids didn't get many sniffs the last two years.
This post was edited on 7/9 9:34 PM by GilliamRatings

Well last year's team had at least 5 D1 caliber student athletes. Both receivers, one is at VaTech and not sure about the other, but from what I saw he(worsham) was more talented than the Payne kid. The QB is at Norfolk st and had multiple D1 offers. Then the RB, which I thought signed with Delaware St, but recently showed up at VSU. Also they had an offensive lineman that was D1 caliber. That was just on offense. With all that said my first sentence referenced STUDENT athletes. Who knows what these young men do to derail their D1 future. Believe me nothing is wrong with any other college or university, and anything is better than doing nothing. So I'm happy for all those kids that are trying to better themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT