ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS FINAL: Radford (61) George Wythe (60) - FINAL

Congratulations to Parry McCluer High School on their Girls State Championship.
Congratulations to Radford High School on their Boys State Championship.

Great showing for the George Wythe Maroons who was the runner- up in both title games.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
Dan River, Martinsville and Radford are in the same region, when they go back to four regions. Talk about going thru a war just to make it to state.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Congrats to the Bobcats! Always seem to be there! And do well when there! Congrats to both teams! Another good one, I knew it would be! Represented the 1A West well!!

(According to twitter feeds) Lot of angry Wythe fans who wanted basket interference on Malik Johnson's 3-point try (could've been 4-point play). Might be in OT now.

Sophomore duo of Quinton Morton-Robertson (29 points) and Miles Jones (18 points) to lead Radford to 6th state title.
Congratulations to Parry McCluer High School on their Double State Championship:
Boys and Girls State Titles for Radford; Quite a feat to accomplish Radford fans.

Great showing for the George Wythe Maroons who was the runner- up in both title games.
Did I miss something?

Fort 89, boy did I mess my post up ! Thanks for calling me out on my mistake. I have
Corrected it. PM girls State Champ, and Radford , boys State Champ.

GW, State runner-up in both girls and boys title games.

Job well done for all teams.

Again, thanks a bunch Fort 89!

Reactions: FORT89
Reality check for Radford when they jump up in class next year.

sad when a school close to the line wins and people say they shouldn't be in that division.... riverheads football.... Radford basketball....

Pretty sure Radford and GW are within 40-50 students of each other.

Radford 490 to GW 456 is the latest enrollment #'s, cutoff for 1A is 475. By comparison Amelia with 580 had to play R.E.Lee with 741. No real way to make it all fair without a doz classifications. Just gotta play with what u got.

They will be up for the challenge. Radford has beaten Dan River (2009), James River (2011) and Gate City (2014) at 2A level, all of which had larger enrollments.

Next year will be extra interesting as well as Alleghany (3A), Carroll County (4A) and James River all join the Three Rivers District. They will be battle tested through the season. Looking forward to seeing these sophomores continue to grow. Go cats!

I wonder if they will continue to play Martinsville? ???

As the saying goes, I had no dog (or Bobcat) in this fight, but GW did indeed get royally screwed in the last 10 seconds on the out of bounds call. I did not have as strong an opinion on the possible goal tend because of my vantage point, but the replay, which they played several times on the overhead screen, CLEARLY showed that the ball should have gone to GW on the out of bounds call. The score was 59-57 Radford at the time and GW would have had the ball under their own basket with a chance to tie or take the lead. Terrible missed call.

However, that little guy (Quentin I believe it is) was something else and he almost won the game by himself. You have to feel sorry for GW, losing both games, but especially considering the way the boys game ended.

Reality check for Radford when they jump up in class next year.

Radford split with M'ville this year and GW beat Richlands this year .Both of these teams could have competed very well this year in 2A. I don't see Radford having any reality check. Actually I think they will win the 2A next 2 years.

Actually Martinsville beat Radford both times this year!!!!!!!

Maroon67 we shall see about them ( Bobcats )winning 2A the next two years. Martinsville handed Radford their heads in one of the two games that they lost to the Dawgs.

If I remember Radford point guard went out early in the first game against Martinsville and the second was close. Radford will contend in 2A, they have a good coach and they reload every year like most urban/city schools do. Most rural schools don't have the same opportunities and it shows in athletic programs.

OnceAKnight, he did go out in the first half. If he had played the whole game, I still think we would have beaten them. We did pull out a tough game at their place. Still, Martinsville beat them twice. We shall see how they do next year. I believe they'll be a factor but they will see that they we earn every W they get.

Last edited:
As the saying goes, I had no dog (or Bobcat) in this fight, but GW did indeed get royally screwed in the last 10 seconds on the out of bounds call. I did not have as strong an opinion on the possible goal tend because of my vantage point, but the replay, which they played several times on the overhead screen, CLEARLY showed that the ball should have gone to GW on the out of bounds call. The score was 59-57 Radford at the time and GW would have had the ball under their own basket with a chance to tie or take the lead. Terrible missed call.

However, that little guy (Quentin I believe it is) was something else and he almost won the game by himself. You have to feel sorry for GW, losing both games, but especially considering the way the boys game ended.

I watched online. I do not see why there is ANY confusion. Radford player never was out of bounds. Ever. GW player was laying out of bounds and tapped the ball. That was an easy call? I get the emotional factor and that call basically solidified their loss but the replay just reiterated the fact the ref got a close call correct.

Really? A reality check..lol they have already won 3 2A Championships From 09-13. I think theyll be just fine.

Reactions: toughy299
Really? A reality check..lol they have already won 3 2A Championships From 09-13. I think theyll be just fine.

Radcats there have been several of the 3A (old AA) schools dropped to the new 2A classification. I know Radford has a strong program but I think AntGzee has a point that Radford won't be as dominant in 2A as they have been in 1A due to some of these teams that have dropped in classification.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Radford 490 to GW 456 is the latest enrollment #'s, cutoff for 1A is 475. By comparison Amelia with 580 had to play R.E.Lee with 741. No real way to make it all fair without a doz classifications. Just gotta play with what u got.
These numbers are based on a average daily attendance. Therefore easy to fudge. It happens all the time and I sure it probably happens in the big town on Wytheville.

Thank you OnceAKnight. My post wasn't a knock against Radford. I'm just stating an opinion. I have much respect for Radford and their program. Robertson is one of the best players that I've seen under 6ft. Amazing talent.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
These numbers are based on a average daily attendance. Therefore easy to fudge. It happens all the time and I sure it probably happens in the big town on Wytheville.
Easy to fudge, maybe, but I don't see why they would. The ADM numbers are official and given to VHSL by the state. Those ADM numbers are tied to state funding and depending on locality and other factors that is over $5,000 per kid

Reactions: uvacavs1
I heard a rumor that GW coach refused to accept runner-up award. If so, I don't agree with it. I know emotions run high but coaches have to set an example.

Reactions: fightingblues
Thank you OnceAKnight. My post wasn't a knock against Radford. I'm just stating an opinion. I have much respect for Radford and their program. Robertson is one of the best players that I've seen under 6ft. Amazing talent.

AntGZee, I read your post as you intended it. Agreed.

Let address some of this: Did you miss that fact that was loose ball foul on the Gw player which would have been his 5th foul? He got a generous call at the 3 point line when he crashed into the Radford player. As far as the next two years Radford should be better than this season. Cam Cormany (yes the coach's son) had a excellent year in JV as a 8th grader. There was another kid Prulude (I know I misspelled it) he was another 8th grader who played JV and did well. The two games against Martinsville went as such Radford lost by 20 at Martinsville after our Morton-Robertson suffered a injury most of that lead was added late in the 3 quarter and early 4th. In Radford vs Martinsville, Morton-Robertson missed a last second shot. Not that it will not be a dogfight but Radford will be fine in 2A.

Reactions: eastspartan
The teams and regions varies from year to year. East and West are both tough. I'm glad that the VHSL has sports going back to a 4 region format. I really didn't care for the Conference format.

Reactions: pizzzzza
As for the call under dispute at the end of the game, the player from GW was laying out of bounds and touched the ball inbounds. The fact that it went off the Radford player out of bounds had nothing to do with what the referee called.

As for the potential goaltending call, the ref underneath looked like he wanted to call basket interference, and even went to the one out front, who said no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT