ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS QF: JM 120 Clarke County 57 - FINAL

Boys : Halftime: John Marshall 63, #ClarkeCounty 25.

Will Booker 10 points, Moses Day 8 for Eagles.

Justices have 6 dunks, 3 in each quarter

Boys : Class 2 quarterfinals : Final score: John Marshall 120, #ClarkeCounty 57.

Eagles finish season 20-9. Justices improve to 23-3

I would think if you're up 50 after 3, you would let off the gas a little....good grief.
did
but even the JV was undefeated this year w/o ever playing anybody in class 2.

I’d approach JM, one of two ways. Either, not score a single point, let them win 300-0 or have all my players foul out as quickly as possible so game gets called. Make the state championship game one for the record books in a totally different way.

I’d approach JM, one of two ways. Either, not score a single point, let them win 300-0 or have all my players foul out as quickly as possible so game gets called. Make the state championship game one for the record books in a totally different way.
I'm actually ok with a different version of this. Just play so damn physical that your guys fouls out. Not saying take cheap shots but instead going into the game defeated already at least make it into an ugly football game on the court.

Or, the only shots you can take are half court shots.
VHSL would probably punish that team and look the other way with JM just dunking all over these public 2A teams. Where is/are the guy(s) on here saying other 2A teams just need to get better lol.
JM if left alone will win the next 24, 2A state tourneys.

Sounds like JM's JV team could win state in 2A.

Any word on the next few out of state superstar players coming into the program?

Or about this variation........let JM score the first points, then sit all your players down on the floor at center court and refuse to play. That way JM could inbound after every five second call, then dunk or score any way they like, and over a 32 minute game, they could score a thousand or more if they wanted to.

Reactions: toughy299
There is no team in 2A that has a fighters chance against JM. I would venture to say they would win state in any class in VA. They are to talented and deep for any team to really contend with them. When you can sub 5 at a time and not have a drop off at all accept for the guys dunking the basketball. #24 the sophmore is going to be a problem for 2 more years. His post presence is amazing and he can shoot the 3. 5A and 6A might have a team or 2 that could keep it close but I doubt they could beat JM.

There is no team in 2A that has a fighters chance against JM. I would venture to say they would win state in any class in VA. They are to talented and deep for any team to really contend with them. When you can sub 5 at a time and not have a drop off at all accept for the guys dunking the basketball. #24 the sophmore is going to be a problem for 2 more years. His post presence is amazing and he can shoot the 3. 5A and 6A might have a team or 2 that could keep it close but I doubt they could beat JM.
So show up and see if your stone is big enough to slay Goliath or stay home and leave the explanation to VHSL as to why the gate money was short for Class 2 Boys…

All of that sounds dumb and a losers mentality. Either show up and play to win, or don’t show up at all. Most teams come into the game scared and beat before the tip. Gotta swing to have a fighters chance.
Yea like JM does in football. Don't show up cause you know your gonna get your ass handed to you. Not many class 2 teams in the state have the ability to recruit in an area like Richmond ect. nor do the kids only play basketball do to the size of the school. Most schools kids go straight from football to the basketball court and not from AAU basketball to high school basketball.

Reactions: falcettik
And I would venture a guess that all of the players on the other teams actually attend the school who’s name is on the jersey. How many of the JM players actually attend Richmond Community School?

Seriously, I am curious about this. If it’s actually the case, are there other school systems that allow students to attend one school but play for another?

I am not talking about attending and playing for a school outside of your geographical boundaries either. For example, are there players on Strasburg’s team who actually attend Mt. View? They are in the same county. I doubt it…

So show up and see if your stone is big enough to slay Goliath or stay home and leave the explanation to VHSL as to why the gate money was short for Class 2 Boys…
speaking of gate money; The VHSL in their infinite wisdom has decided this year to make folks buy tickets to both the girls and boys games separately even though they are both is the same building.

• Sad
Reactions: blackknight_pride
I would think if you're up 50 after 3, you would let off the gas a little....good grief.
your suggestions?
the 3rd string has JV players on it
hoops may need a mercy rule like football

I believe it was 2 seasons ago where JM lost to Landstown and Hayfield (both 6A teams).

So the 'bigger' schools do have talented enough teams to play with JM - but certainly not the 2A teams.

Yea like JM does in football. Don't show up cause you know your gonna get your ass handed to you. Not many class 2 teams in the state have the ability to recruit in an area like Richmond ect. nor do the kids only play basketball do to the size of the school. Most schools kids go straight from football to the basketball court and not from AAU basketball to high school basketball.
JM football team shows up to every football game with 16 players. They compete and don’t complain about it. Idk what point you were trying to make?

JM football team shows up to every football game with 16 players. They compete and don’t complain about it. Idk what point you were trying to make?
Every team in the state of Virginia shows up and plays their schedule. Not sure the point here in regards to JM basketball.

Not true...they forfeited against Riverheads(?) this season and not sure they even finished the season out. And the spring sports have done the same thing...
Rivershead was the last game of the season,
what about spring sports?

Not true...they forfeited against Riverheads(?) this season and not sure they even finished the season out. And the spring sports have done the same thing...
The only game(s) ever forfeited(football) was due to not having 11 players for the game in uniform. They didn’t decide not to show up cuz it wasn’t “fair”.
I’m referring to, “let’s lay on the court with a sad face”, or “stay at home cuz it’s not fair”…

I have never seen JM play so all I have to go on are the comments seen on here over the years, in which the consensus opinion is that they do not belong at the 2-A level and apparently never will. So if it is not an even playing field for the other teams in 2-A, plus JM apparently has no problem playing tougher competition, the obvious win/win is to move them up, maybe gradually. Let them play 3-A for the next cycle and if they roll all over that division, move them up to 4-A, and so on until the right fit is found.

As for someone else's comment about needing a mercy rule in basketball, there already is one. The clock is supposed to run continuously if a team is up by 30 points or more at any point in the second half. So I would assume this was done in that game with Clarke.

All of that sounds dumb and a losers mentality. Either show up and play to win, or don’t show up at all. Most teams come into the game scared and beat before the tip. Gotta swing to have a fighters chance.
I wouldn’t waste my time, and I just forfeit! Saves a lot of money for my fans!

Every team in the state of Virginia shows up and plays their schedule. Not sure the point here in regards to JM basketball.
If it’s my team, I’m telling them take the trophy and shove it! I’m not wasting the gas, nor am I letting my fans waste their money to watch their kids get intentionally embarrassed.

That’s a lie! They forfeited to Riverhead
I don’t know you to make fun of your reading comprehension skills, but I said they DID forfeit due to not having enough bodies… they only had 16 or 17 players all year and towards the end of the year bodies were dropping(injuries, losing, etc).

If it’s my team, I’m telling them take the trophy and shove it! I’m not wasting the gas, nor am I letting my fans waste their money to watch their kids get intentionally embarrassed.
If you had a team? You talk so crazy(on a high horse) when your “team” recruits pieces to make the team better but because it’s a local recruit and not a national recruit you seem vindicated. You’re a joke lol. Sit these conversations out, Boomer!

I have never seen JM play so all I have to go on are the comments seen on here over the years, in which the consensus opinion is that they do not belong at the 2-A level and apparently never will. So if it is not an even playing field for the other teams in 2-A, plus JM apparently has no problem playing tougher competition, the obvious win/win is to move them up, maybe gradually. Let them play 3-A for the next cycle and if they roll all over that division, move them up to 4-A, and so on until the right fit is found.

As for someone else's comment about needing a mercy rule in basketball, there already is one. The clock is supposed to run continuously if a team is up by 30 points or more at any point in the second half. So I would assume this was done in that game with Clarke.
I like your stance, 1. Acknowledge the issue/problem, then 2. Come up with realistic solutions.

I have never been in the conversation with people in the know about classifications and JMs place in that. It seems they would rather play up but who really knows…

Had to borrow baseball/softball equipment from another team?!?

Why does no one answer if any of the JM players actually attend Richmond Community School instead of JM? Legitimate question...
I don’t know anyone affiliated with JM players or staff. But let’s say they do go to another RPS school and it’s within the rules, how do you fault them?

No, the obvious answer is for them to stop pretending to be a public school program and play a non VHSL schedule. Then they can play whoever they want, whenever they want and wherever they want...other schools/programs have done it (Nelson and Rapp in football come to mind).

This BS about them wanting to play up but they are not allowed is just that, BS. If the VHSL says no, then leave. They stay because they must want to play at the 2A level since that is the only option the VHSL gives them.

Last edited:
No, the obvious answer is for them to stop pretending to be a public school program and play a non VHSL schedule. Then they can play whoever they want, whenever they want and wherever they want...other schools/programs have done it (Nelson and Rapp in football come to mind).

This BS about them wanting to play up but they are not allowed is just that, BS. If they VHSL says no, then leave. They stay because they must want to play at the 2A level since that is the only option the VHSL gives them.
So what happens when 3A coach, 4A coach or 6A coach says, “hey we can’t recruit our players, this isn’t fair to us now…”

Reactions: toughy299

This BS about them wanting to play up but they are not allowed is just that, BS. If they VHSL says no, then leave. They stay because they must want to play at the 2A level since that is the only option the VHSL gives them.
I’d love to see them in the WCAC but travel costs and logistics would be a nightmare. Them and PVI in the VISAA championship would be a doozy. I agree, 100%…

I don’t know anyone affiliated with JM players or staff. But let’s say they do go to another RPS school and it’s within the rules, how do you fault them?
Not faulting the players at all. Good for them. Getting a private school experience for free. I'd do it too if I had the athletic skill and opportunity. LCA does it but they had to sue the state to gain access to the VHSL system. But at least they don't pretend to be something they are not.

The fault lies in several places. First, the school system should require players to actually attend the school they play for (if that is the case here). Or, the VHSL should include the enrollment of all the schools that have players from multiple schools; and, Adidas should stay out of high school sports (or at least support all the programs at the school); plus, AAU coaches should not be the HS coach; and mostly--since the VHSL says if you play in the VHSL, you are a 2A, then don't play in the VHSL! I am sure there are many, many teams and tourneys JM/RCS can play in if they were unencumbered by the VHSL. Then more power to them! But stop with the, "they won't let us play up". There is some reason JM/RCS stays in VHSL knowing its 2A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT