Class 6 Championship

Who and why?

• Highland Springs

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Freedom

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Freedom has too many quick strike options. Although Highland Springs is capable of winning the game, if the Freedom players get into space enough and the Springer defense cannot get to the Freedom QB to rush him I think Freedom pulls away.

Freedom has too many quick strike options. Although Highland Springs is capable of winning the game, if the Freedom players get into space enough and the Springer defense cannot get to the Freedom QB to rush him I think Freedom pulls away.
Have you actually seen HS play?! Judging by this post,I’d bet you haven’t!

Reactions: fattyhawk2013
I'll be honest I had to ignore that post because even as a maury fan I know HS has the athletes and coaching to beat freedom. Like they not one of those prince william or fairfax school that definitely aint equal coaching or athletic wise with them. I'm pretty sure LJ is already working a defensive plan that then guys haven't seen in a while

I'll be honest I had to ignore that post because even as a maury fan I know HS has the athletes and coaching to beat freedom. Like they not one of those prince william or fairfax school that definitely aint equal coaching or athletic wise with them. I'm pretty sure LJ is already working a defensive plan that then guys haven't seen in a while
Freedom closes game this was against Varna this year because Varina had the athletes to match them. One issue Varuna had was they didnt have a run game. HSHS has a big Oline and a plethora of running backs to wear Freedom down over 4 quarters.

From what I have seen (all tape) Freedom is all about getting the ball to their individual playmakers in the open field and letting them do their thing one on one. On the other hand, Highland Springs is more team oriented with the ball and using that to wear down and break the opponent. Whichever team is better at that is obviously the one that most likely comes out on top.

Probably go Freedom 30-16. Should be a very competitive and hotly contested game. I just think Freedom's skill guys are a bit better than HSHS and the lines will mostly cancel each other out. Remember HSHS had a hard time running with Varina WR's and Freedom's offense is much better than that. Looks like HSHS has gone all in on the power run game so let's see if they can control the clock and keep Freedom off the field. I don't think HSHS will have much success if they are forced in throwing situations. I know Freedom's depth is a concern but at this point in the season these guys are conditioned enough where that shouldn't be a huge concern in a 1 game final. I will say don't expect HSHS to beat themselves. If Freedom wins it will have been earned because the Springers won't lose their cool at any point and will make you play mistake free football if you want to win.

From what I have seen (all tape) Freedom is all about getting the ball to their individual playmakers in the open field and letting them do their thing one on one. On the other hand, Highland Springs is more team oriented with the ball and using that to wear down and break the opponent. Whichever team is better at that is obviously the one that most likely comes out on top.
Exactly... Freedom has quite a few who play both ways, Overton among them. I don't think they have seen many sustained methodical drives against their defense. Would be interested to see how that affects Freedom's offensive production, especially the line play. Freedom's speed and lateral quickness is real, can it be worn down?

Reactions: VolNation85
Probably go Freedom 30-16. Should be a very competitive and hotly contested game. I just think Freedom's skill guys are a bit better than HSHS and the lines will mostly cancel each other out. Remember HSHS had a hard time running with Varina WR's and Freedom's offense is much better than that. Looks like HSHS has gone all in on the power run game so let's see if they can control the clock and keep Freedom off the field. I don't think HSHS will have much success if they are forced in throwing situations. I know Freedom's depth is a concern but at this point in the season these guys are conditioned enough where that shouldn't be a huge concern in a 1 game final. I will say don't expect HSHS to beat themselves. If Freedom wins it will have been earned because the Springers won't lose their cool at any point and will make you play mistake free football if you want to win.
Agreed on all points. If anybody in Class 6 can beat Freedom, I believe it is HSHS, but I don't think HSHS will match Freedom score for score. A lot people still underestimate how explosive Freedom is, ignoring the fact they steamrolled two very good teams in Colonial Forge and Madison. Yeah, Freedom let Varina get back in the game, but they also played DeMatha well, and Varina is not DeMatha. Hopeful for a close game, but I have Freedom 36-14.

Exactly... Freedom has quite a few who play both ways, Overton among them. I don't think they have seen many sustained methodical drives against their defense. Would be interested to see how that affects Freedom's offensive production, especially the line play. Freedom's speed and lateral quickness is real, can it be worn down?
HS only has 1 or 2 that go both ways and NO LINEMEN. Their VT commit WR/DB is the only one. Their State DPOY sometimes lines up in the offensive backfield. He’s the coach’s son.

HSHS didnt have an issue running with Varina wrs, all of those tds came from broken plays where the back up qb scrambled, broke containment, and made some good throws. Varina offense did nothing until the starting qb went out with an injury and the back up came in. HSHS was not prepared for the freshman back up qb who is very mobile. Varina starting qb is a pocket passer who is not very mobile. With all that being said i look forward to a very competitive game Saturday.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Agreed. Their offense has been firing on all cylinders. They can attack everywhere on the field with the ways that they get the ball to their players in space. Thought they were going to put up 80 on Battlefield and Madison while those games were in progress.

The threat that Freedom poses by being able to play that fast and strike quickly on offense reminds of the way the Landstown teams operated back in 03-05. That was the thought that popped in my head when they were gashing Madison on those screen plays on Saturday.

Their defense has been playing really well too. Pressure off the edge, tough to run up the middle, pass break-ups, etc. I am interested to see if Highland Springs can sustain a ground attack and how their QB will respond to Freedom's pressure on pass plays.

• Haha
Reactions: HooSprings
Agreed. Their offense has been firing on all cylinders. They can attack everywhere on the field with the ways that they get the ball to their players in space. Thought they were going to put up 80 on Battlefield and Madison while those games were in progress.

The threat that Freedom poses by being able to play that fast and strike quickly on offense reminds of the way the Landstown teams operated back in 03-05. That was the thought that popped in my head when they were gashing Madison on those screen plays on Saturday.

Their defense has been playing really well too. Pressure off the edge, tough to run up the middle, pass break-ups, etc. I am interested to see if Highland Springs can sustain a ground attack and how their QB will respond to Freedom's pressure on pass plays.
I get the feeling you’ve never seen HS play! They have the #1 Rated QB in the state,REGARDLESS of classification. A 3yr starter headed to Maryland. They are and have ALWAYS been built on SPEED at EVERY POSITION on the field. Even their monsterous OTs are fast. They played in EASILY the best region in the state. HS has faced power 5 DEs ALL season. They’ve faced D1 WRs all year. They’ve faced fast teams,top 200 nationally ranked teams. They faced a power 5 QB. They’ve faced BIG D1 RBs all year. They’ve actually faced a team with more depth,which I thought was impossible. They hammered one of those weak NoVA teams just like Freedom plays ALL YR. If you’re judging this team on 3 broken play prayers, or not putting up 40 every game,you really don’t know anything about these 6X state championships.

Coming into the playoffs,even I had concerns,but they flipped a switch,and turned into the monster I’ve enjoyed watching since LJ got here. Quite honestly,Freedom doesn’t have ANYTHING HS hasn’t seen. Check out the voting at the top of this thread! 😎

PUT THE BALL DOWN,and let’s play!

Just curious, why do you think they're not as good as Maury?
Depth!! The Maury depth could win the state! No way I can say the same about Freedom after I saw the depth play against Varina in the second half. The blue Devils held them to only seven points the entire second half. Quite honestly, in my opinion, I think that’s the biggest advantage Highland Springs has over freedom. Starter for starter, I think they’re pretty damn close.

Depth!! The Maury depth could win the state! No way I can say the same about Freedom after I saw the depth play against Varina in the second half. The blue Devils held them to only seven points the entire second half. Quite honestly, in my opinion, I think that’s the biggest advantage Highland Springs has over freedom. Starter for starter, I think they’re pretty damn close.
That makes sense. You're right, once you get to this deep in the season, starters vs starters are usually pretty close if not even. What happens when there's an injury or someone is gassed? Then you start to see separation.

I don't have a dog in the fight so I am just hoping it's a competitive game and that the refs don't feel the need to interject themselves into the game.

HSHS didnt have an issue running with Varina wrs, all of those tds came from broken plays where the back up qb scrambled, broke containment, and made some good throws. Varina offense did nothing until the starting qb went out with an injury and the back up came in. HSHS was not prepared for the freshman back up qb who is very mobile. Varina starting qb is a pocket passer who is not very mobile. With all that being said i look forward to a very competitive game Saturday.
What you stated is the reason I said HSHS had trouble running with Varina WR's. Yea the DB's got caught looking in the backfield on the scrambles but Varina WR's were still able to pull away from those guys like they haven't been in a couple of past years. I'm hoping for a very competitive game and hopefully we're not talking about the refs after the game.

I agree with you on depth. If HSHS can keep it close to the 4th quarter, their chances increase.

The winner of the game is which team's DBs tackle best. Both secondary's will face different challenges but IMO, open field tackling may decide this game as both teams are so elite. HS DB's will have to make quick decisions, shed blocks and make open field tackles against the quick/screen game. Freedom has so many combos and counter routes off their quick/screen game that really put DBs in a bind with their reads and responsibilities. Freedom DBs won't be challenged as much in the air, as the HS quick/screen game just isn't as intricate as Freedoms. However they'll be faced with having to come up in run support against a strong group of RBs from HS. Springs WR's do a great job of blocking downfield as well. Whichever group of DBs can perform better is who I'm picking to win. Can HSHS DB's get some INTs? Can Freedom's DBs make the tackle for 7-8 yard gain or will they miss tackles on 30+ yard runs?

Both teams are equal up front on both sides, both run to the ball so well on defense. The other big factor to me is HS running Martin more and using RB as extra blocker. If HS runs the QB 15 or more times, I think they'll win. Control the clock, wear down the Freedom defense. Freedom just needs to get HS behind the sticks and/or force a TO or two and I'd say that'll put them in great shape to win.

Looking forward to this matchup, should be epic. Best matchup of the 6 without question. Good Luck to both teams, hope everyone stays healthy and refs let them play.

My non bias prediction, Freedom 28 Highland Springs 24.

I know comparing scores doesn't necessarily mean anything, but James Madison beat Lake Braddock by a similar score as Highland Springs and Freedom just smoked Madison...we'll find out soon enough, though.

I know comparing scores doesn't necessarily mean anything, but James Madison beat Lake Braddock by a similar score as Highland Springs and Freedom just smoked Madison...we'll find out soon enough, though.
Different styles! Plus,LB scored very late on most of the JV defense. All but 2 starters had been pulled. Freedom was very familiar with JM having played and hammered them last season as well.

Different styles! Plus,LB scored very late on most of the JV defense. All but 2 starters had been pulled. Freedom was very familiar with JM having played and hammered them last season as well.
Yeah, I think everyone, including myself, is anxious to see how Freedom does against a blue blood of high school football...this is a must watch game!

Last edited:
What you stated is the reason I said HSHS had trouble running with Varina WR's. Yea the DB's got caught looking in the backfield on the scrambles but Varina WR's were still able to pull away from those guys like they haven't been in a couple of past years. I'm hoping for a very competitive game and hopefully we're not talking about the refs after the

Is it true that Highland Springs have some suspended players for this game?? One is #2. Which is arguably their best DB/WR? That's a significant blow in my opinion if it's true
I know one of their guys got ejected last game so he would be suspended this game. Not sure who it was though.

I know one of their guys got ejected last game so he would be suspended this game. Not sure who it was though.
Tomondry Braxton was suspended. They'll just shift a few around, I hear that a (VT commit) will be in his place. Not 100% sure, but it would make good sense to me! It's not going to be a problem for this very DEEP HS team.

I get the feeling you’ve never seen HS play! They have the #1 Rated QB in the state,REGARDLESS of classification. A 3yr starter headed to Maryland. They are and have ALWAYS been built on SPEED at EVERY POSITION on the field. Even their monsterous OTs are fast. They played in EASILY the best region in the state. HS has faced power 5 DEs ALL season. They’ve faced D1 WRs all year. They’ve faced fast teams,top 200 nationally ranked teams. They faced a power 5 QB. They’ve faced BIG D1 RBs all year. They’ve actually faced a team with more depth,which I thought was impossible. They hammered one of those weak NoVA teams just like Freedom plays ALL YR. If you’re judging this team on 3 broken play prayers, or not putting up 40 every game,you really don’t know anything about these 6X state championships.

Coming into the playoffs,even I had concerns,but they flipped a switch,and turned into the monster I’ve enjoyed watching since LJ got here. Quite honestly,Freedom doesn’t have ANYTHING HS hasn’t seen. Check out the voting at the top of this thread! 😎

PUT THE BALL DOWN,and let’s play!

I haven't seen HS this year but have watched a few of their games in the past (vs. Colonial Forge, Oscar Smith, Stone Bridge). They always struck me as a strong, well-rounded team which is why I've said I'm glad Freedom is going against a team that can match up physically and athletically for the title game. I'm sure they do have all the speed and "monsterous" lineman (lol). Regardless of what HS has already faced, I am expecting at some point in the game Freedom will flex their big play ability and separate themselves in this one.

Good points above about DB play from one man. Picking Freedom to win but my final thoughts on how the tides can turn in favor of Highland Springs:

Turnovers - Obvious but football happens. Sounds like HS played clutch on defense forcing turnovers against Manchester and Lake Braddock. HS forcing 2+ turnovers Saturday or coming up with 4th down stops in the red zone could bring Freedom back down to Earth.

Drawing first blood - Freedom starts fast. I wonder how they react if HS were able to score first or create a momentum swinging play early on that makes a statement.

Kickoff returns and special teams - Freedom allowed a few big kickoff returns in the playoffs last year, one of the only areas that opponents were able to find success against them. They gave up a touchdown return against Forge this year and had to adjust to the wedge return that Battlefield used. Might be an opportunity there for HS to break one off. Freedom kicking and punting is a liability as they showed against DeMatha.

Freedom depth - Legit point raised by some of you. Against HS I can agree that this is a 2nd half concern. We know how they had trouble in the 2nd half vs. Varina. Against Madison last Saturday, it seemed like Freedom's defense was letting up a bit toward the end of the 3rd quarter when Madison kept playing hard and found success on a drive. But the game was way out of hand, and that drive ended with an interception anyway.

Past games / previous years - Freedom is accustomed to winning by big margins but I think it becomes interesting when the game gets brought to them. It seemed like they would have trouble slowing down the other team. We didn't really see this last year during their dominant title run but the games I am referencing are vs. 2017 Hylton, 2018 Westfield & Manchester, 2019 Massaponax. Just something to note even though '22/'23 Freedom has played on another level compared to those other Freedom teams.

I'm jacked up for this game! Glad the weather will be cooperating. Hope y'all enjoy. I feel sorry for all the other football fans in the United States that don't have Freedom vs. Highland Springs to look forward to this weekend.

Final prediction: Freedom 43 Highland Springs 21

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
I haven't seen HS this year but have watched a few of their games in the past (vs. Colonial Forge, Oscar Smith, Stone Bridge). They always struck me as a strong, well-rounded team which is why I've said I'm glad Freedom is going against a team that can match up physically and athletically for the title game. I'm sure they do have all the speed and "monsterous" lineman (lol). Regardless of what HS has already faced, I am expecting at some point in the game Freedom will flex their big play ability and separate themselves in this one.
My point about the monsterous line comment is,this is by far the biggest offensive line we’ve ever had, and even bigger than the line that had Becton.

The reason I ask, if you have seen them or not,this year, is the last three games they played, I’ve never seen a Highland Springs team play that Way. Couple of late season additions have made a huge difference in more than one way. it’s nothing at all resembling any of the previous five state champion teams. Anyone that watched the first and second Manchester game this year will tell you there was a huge difference in the style on offense and defense(the score alone will tell you that).

Reactions: springer76
Good points above about DB play from one man. Picking Freedom to win but my final thoughts on how the tides can turn in favor of Highland Springs:

Turnovers - Obvious but football happens. Sounds like HS played clutch on defense forcing turnovers against Manchester and Lake Braddock. HS forcing 2+ turnovers Saturday or coming up with 4th down stops in the red zone could bring Freedom back down to Earth.

Drawing first blood - Freedom starts fast. I wonder how they react if HS were able to score first or create a momentum swinging play early on that makes a statement.

Kickoff returns and special teams - Freedom allowed a few big kickoff returns in the playoffs last year, one of the only areas that opponents were able to find success against them. They gave up a touchdown return against Forge this year and had to adjust to the wedge return that Battlefield used. Might be an opportunity there for HS to break one off. Freedom kicking and punting is a liability as they showed against DeMatha.

Freedom depth - Legit point raised by some of you. Against HS I can agree that this is a 2nd half concern. We know how they had trouble in the 2nd half vs. Varina. Against Madison last Saturday, it seemed like Freedom's defense was letting up a bit toward the end of the 3rd quarter when Madison kept playing hard and found success on a drive. But the game was way out of hand, and that drive ended with an interception anyway.

Past games / previous years - Freedom is accustomed to winning by big margins but I think it becomes interesting when the game gets brought to them. It seemed like they would have trouble slowing down the other team. We didn't really see this last year during their dominant title run but the games I am referencing are vs. 2017 Hylton, 2018 Westfield & Manchester, 2019 Massaponax. Just something to note even though '22/'23 Freedom has played on another level compared to those other Freedom teams.

I'm jacked up for this game! Glad the weather will be cooperating. Hope y'all enjoy. I feel sorry for all the other football fans in the United States that don't have Freedom vs. Highland Springs to look forward to this weekend.

Final prediction: Freedom 43 Highland Springs 21
I would definitely keep an eye on special teams!

Reactions: OnlyVA
My point about the monsterous line comment is,this is by far the biggest offensive line we’ve ever had, and even bigger than the line that had Becton.

The reason I ask, if you have seen them or not,this year, is the last three games they played, I’ve never seen a Highland Springs team play that Way. Couple of late season additions have made a huge difference in more than one way. it’s nothing at all resembling any of the previous five state champion teams. Anyone that watched the first and second Manchester game this year will tell you there was a huge difference in the style on offense and defense(the score alone will tell you that).

Copy. That was surprising that HS held Manchester to just 6 the second time around and probably a good sign of how well they are playing on defense right now.

Reactions: HooSprings
Is it true that Highland Springs have some suspended players for this game?? One is #2. Which is arguably their best DB/WR? That's a significant blow in my opinion if it's true
He’s actually their 4th best WR and one of 4 safeties that rotate to stay fresh. He IS one of the 2 PRs(HS puts 2 back) and one of the back 3 KRs. With the depth HS possesses,it won’t affect anything. Missing Noah for 4 games really allowed for more depth to develop. Then The late season additions really solidified the DBs and WRs position. His leadership could be missed,but he’ll have to lead from the sideline this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT