ADVERTISEMENT

Common Sense Scheduling Question

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I have shared this concern with our Riverheads Athletic Director, even though I fully understand that it is not his fault and that he cannot do a thing about it, but I think it will be totally unfair to Gladiator fans and to one family in particular to have to play both the boys and girls state quarter-final games this Friday night as if that was the ONLY night the games could possibly be played. But apparently the VHSL says it is Friday night and only Friday night and there can be no exception.

In case I am not being clear, our girls won their regional title and therefore get to host a game Friday night. Our boys on the other hand lost their regional final and have to travel Friday night. So my point is why in the world couldn't one game be moved to Thursday or Saturday so that fans could attend both as opposed to having to make a choice?

If there was a rush job or an urgency with scheduling, I could understand it, but we have this entire week and the state semi-finals are not taking place until next Tuesday. Also as mentioned above, we have a brother/sister that both play and they cannot even attend one another's games. Not to mention the choice the parents will have to make.

I have not studied all the brackets to know if we are the only school facing this dilemma. I know for example that Surry advanced both its teams, but they both get to host, so obviously they get a doubleheader. For that reason, of course the Riverheads boys game needs to be played Friday, but what is keeping the VHSL from allowing the RHS girls to host West Point on Saturday?

You would think the VHSL would allow for some flexibility for scheduling in cases like this, especially since it would likely mean more attendance money. I know that I would attend both Riverheads games if I could and I am sure others would as well.

Sometimes common sense doesn't make sense to some people after all I guess.

we had a situation in 4B where both teams had to travel to games at the same time in different counties and just did it.

Martinsville boys are already going to Bristol to play Gate City at 8 on Friday. Mavahi girls play Floyd tonite for the regional title. Win they play at Magna Vista on Friday, lose they travel to UVA-Wise to play. Either way the fan base is split. It's unfortunate but what can you do. Make a choice of who you want to see and go. It's happened to schools before just have to make the best of it.

Reactions: st8chmpLB
I am not quarreling with the win/you host, lose/you travel aspect of it. Anybody knows it has been that way for years.

My only question, which I stick by, is why does every single game HAVE to be played Friday night, when there is time to play on other nights and it would offer more entertainment value and the potential to make "somebody" some more money?

That is definitely a good question. From PM to Christiansburg is a long haul for a "hosting" team. In fact it might be just as close for Glade Spring. I would howl if I were the Blues over that one.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
That is definitely a good question. From PM to Christiansburg is a long haul for a "hosting" team. In fact it might be just as close for Glade Spring. I would howl if I were the Blues over that one.
It’s The VHSL. Howling does you no good. PM will be fine. The fans travel well and will make it feel like a home game.

We have that problem throughout the year longtimerhsfan. Boys and girls play the same night at the same time. I think it just makes easy scheduling for the ADs. So my wife goes to one game and I go to the other. Our boys didn't have good year so the playoffs are not a problem.

It not only splits the gate but we already get bottom line officials so it also splits that pool up also. Personally I don't think the admins care as long as their job is easier. Just my opinion.

I agree with you @longtimerhsfan, but I do see a few things. It either gives or takes an advantage in rest and preparation time. It also gives teams the opportunity to scout, but that also works both ways.

Not that it is necessarily a valid one, but I'm sure there is an actual reason why they do it, as I'm sure this isn't the 1st time.

I am not quarreling with the win/you host, lose/you travel aspect of it. Anybody knows it has been that way for years.

My only question, which I stick by, is why does every single game HAVE to be played Friday night, when there is time to play on other nights and it would offer more entertainment value and the potential to make "somebody" some more money?
I totally agree LRH. I think, not 100% certain but I believe it’s inclement weather rule, IN CASE it weather became an issue. But if it’s not an issue I don’t see why they couldn’t. But VHSL is a funny organization, I never understood why two teams no more than 30 minutes apart had to travel 3 hours to play, PM and RHS Girls. We passed several venues that would have been acceptable but they would not believe budge. It is a shame parents have to choose, when it should be about the student athletes

Reactions: Gunz41
I totally agree LRH. I think, not 100% certain but I believe it’s inclement weather rule, IN CASE it weather became an issue. But if it’s not an issue I don’t see why they couldn’t. But VHSL is a funny organization, I never understood why two teams no more than 30 minutes apart had to travel 3 hours to play, PM and RHS Girls. We passed several venues that would have been acceptable but they would not believe budge. It is a shame parents have to choose, when it should be about the student athletes
Welcome to the dictatorship of VHSL
They have no common sense vhsl just wants money . They give a rats a** about schools hardships or families. It’s all about making money to keep up their high salaries.
Just tonight VHSL told gate city administrators that all pre-sale tickets has to go thru go fans app

They have no common sense vhsl just wants money . They give a rats a** about schools hardships or families. It’s all about making money to keep up their high salaries.
Just tonight VHSL told gate city administrators that all pre-sale tickets has to go thru go fans app
WOW! Are you kidding that they said that?!? I was a State Employee for 26 years, and I came to realize very quickly, that you are correct, it’s all about the $$$. How can they dictate what Gate City does? VHSL is almost as pathetic as the NCAA when it comes to student athletes.

WOW! Are you kidding that they said that?!? I was a State Employee for 26 years, and I came to realize very quickly, that you are correct, it’s all about the $$$. How can they dictate what Gate City does? VHSL is almost as pathetic as the NCAA when it comes to student athletes.
It’s all about VHSL. There needs to be a oversight of VHSL. They are making money off the backs of kids and school districts.

It’s all about VHSL. There needs to be a oversight of VHSL. They are making money off the backs of kids and school districts.
LOTS OF MONEY!! Some of those salaries are exorbitantly HIGH! Look at some on Richmond Times. And sadly, no one in State Government cares

I agree . I have even contacted my house of delegates. He told me to contact My local school district so the two step shuffle goes around .
When I retire , I plan on getting more involved. Accountability for VHSL using public money— drain the swamp

Last edited:
Sure it's about money. What isn't. The Vhsl is no stronger than the schools that are in it. If the member schools dont like the way things are done they can make proposals and vote for change. I personally dont like how schools can lose a regional championship game and get another chance to play. Makes no sense except for making money. But everybody has excepted that, so be it. If enough people or schools want change they can make it happen. If not drop out and start another organization and run it as you see fit. Not defending or condemning the Vhsl just sharing an opinion.

Aside from these instances, what would you change?

Both of the points in this thread are valid questions and have merit, but neither seem to be financially motivated. That doesn't make them the right calls, but to really make a change, I think it should be for the correct reasons.

What I am saying is that the Riverheads situation would seem to lose attendance, which is less money. So using the money argument doesn't alleviate that problem.

As far as tickets, I can see a valid reason for it, whether it is right or not. Basketball gyms have limited capacity, so if someone/something doesn't monitor the sale, what is to stop a side from overselling. It's very limited, and also a neutral site. Not saying it couldn't be done by the schools, but again IMO, need to complain about the real reasons and not just lump everything in to one argument

Reactions: dringtuoti
I don’t think the final 8 should spread across 2 weeks but by spreading out for two weeks there should be some flexibility

As is often the case on this board, things have gone off in different directions. Going back to my original question about the Riverheads situation, there would be no problem whatsoever if the VHSL was simply saying "Complete all state quarter-final games by such and such date." Let's say for the sake of discussion, that date was still this Friday the 1st.

If they were in fact willing to leave it that open-ended, then RHS and any other school in a similar situation would have been free to experiment with different nights this week, doubleheaders, or whatever and they would each quite likely be able to solve their own dilemmas.

But apparently the VHSL mandated that ALL state quarter-final games MUST be played Friday night and that is my issue. Since athletics should be about the kids and the fans (hopefully in that order), the VHSL should be willing to work with the schools to achieve maximum enjoyment and success. In this case, a little flexibility would have hurt no one and there would not be parents who will have to miss their own kid's state playoff game.

As is often the case on this board, things have gone off in different directions. Going back to my original question about the Riverheads situation, there would be no problem whatsoever if the VHSL was simply saying "Complete all state quarter-final games by such and such date." Let's say for the sake of discussion, that date was still this Friday the 1st.

If they were in fact willing to leave it that open-ended, then RHS and any other school in a similar situation would have been free to experiment with different nights this week, doubleheaders, or whatever and they would each quite likely be able to solve their own dilemmas.

But apparently the VHSL mandated that ALL state quarter-final games MUST be played Friday night and that is my issue. Since athletics should be about the kids and the fans (hopefully in that order), the VHSL should be willing to work with the schools to achieve maximum enjoyment and success. In this case, a little flexibility would have hurt no one and there would not be parents who will have to miss their own kid's state playoff game.

I don't know if it was asked or not, but could it be like in football where if something has to change that both have to agree and Riverheads opponents wouldn't?

Last year there was some talk of having separate boys and girls tournaments at different times. Most thought, though, that was not the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT