ADVERTISEMENT

Enough OL talk...SC vs Westfield

I am leaning slightly toward South County as their risk-taking high-scoring offense seems to be clicking again. Westfield always takes a more careful methodical approach and I am not sure they have the speed to counter SoCo’s attack. SoCo did have 4 fumbles, 1 interception and 10 penalties in game #1 against Briar Woods so they still have those problems - but Westfield had about 13 penalties of their own last week versus Washington-Lee.

I have also heard whisperings (i.e. rumors) that Westfield will be missing anywhere from 5 to 8 starters this week so that won’t help if true.

My thread not good enough? :( lol

I just wonder if Westfield has the offense to match the performance of their defense, and to outscore an offensive team like Soco. I watched Soco scrimmage and could see why they are known for scoring a lot of points, but they also looked like they played an aggressive defense that would bring the pressure in a big game like this. Would not be surprised to see Westfield win this, but I think SC exposes them Friday. If they are missing that many starters that will not help either.

Soco 33
Westfield 27

Westfield typically has the advantage of depth they're able to sub in fresh bodies against smaller schools and they tire them out. South County runs a very fast tempo offense Westfield will not have an opportunity to sub in players very often. South County will need to take advantage of every offensive possession and score because Westfield should look to methodically take time off the clock to shorten the game. That being said, no idea who is going to win this game.

I am leaning slightly toward South County as their risk-taking high-scoring offense seems to be clicking again. Westfield always takes a more careful methodical approach and I am not sure they have the speed to counter SoCo’s attack. SoCo did have 4 fumbles, 1 interception and 10 penalties in game #1 against Briar Woods so they still have those problems - but Westfield had about 13 penalties of their own last week versus Washington-Lee.

I have also heard whisperings (i.e. rumors) that Westfield will be missing anywhere from 5 to 8 starters this week so that won’t help if true.

I don't know how SOCO does it. Their o-line from left to right is 200, 230, 200, 255, 200. The top backups are sophs at 200 and 180. Their DT's go about 245 and 205. And Westfield is big this year.

I don't know how SOCO does it. Their o-line from left to right is 200, 230, 200, 255, 200. The top backups are sophs at 200 and 180.

I could not believe how much smaller their offensive line was compared to a much larger defensive line at Woodbridge when I watched them scrimmage. It did not really seem to matter though because they still moved the ball.

I could not believe how much smaller their offensive line was compared to a much larger defensive line at Woodbridge when I watched them scrimmage. It did not really seem to matter though because they still moved the ball.

I love their pace. A quick huddle three yards off the ball and then a quick cadence.

My current Louisa Lions offensive line is 270, 270, 270, 280, 340, plus a tight end weighing 270. The 2006 state runner up team had a fairly small line, but man were they powerful.

@Catch50 yeah he's probably our best lineman. They like to move him around and play him at both tackle spots a lot. Pretty quick and gets a few pancakes per game. It's too bad his Hudl highlights are private.

Really enjoyed this game, thanks for the recommendation. Wonderful people at that school and excellent facility. I was really impressed with all of the student involvment from the student section to the dance team. I hate that the game pretty much ended after the roughing the punter with about 2 minutes to go as we really could have had a classic finish, but overall was a good game and good experience. I liked how the principal shook hands and greeted people as they walked through the gates, and how friendly the people working the gates were, as well as the fans and students I talked with. Kind of nights that make me appreciate high school football games even more

Really enjoyed this game, thanks for the recommendation. Wonderful people at that school and excellent facility. I was really impressed with all of the student involvment from the student section to the dance team. I hate that the game pretty much ended after the roughing the punter with about 2 minutes to go as we really could have had a classic finish, but overall was a good game and good experience. I liked how the principal shook hands and greeted people as they walked through the gates, and how friendly the people working the gates were, as well as the fans and students I talked with. Kind of nights that make me appreciate high school football games even more

Glad you enjoyed the game! Those type of schools usually have the best fans and student section turnouts, making for better atmosphere. Any thoughts on either team on the field? State championship caliber teams?

But there it is. Soco takes down Westfield. It is hard to beat a good team twice though!

I was at the game and I was very impressed with how much more controlled and disciplined South County was than the last time I saw them (a loss vs Chantilly in 2013). My offhand thought is that South County does not have the defense to win a state championship. And it didn't seem that Westfield had an offense that could get past the first round of the playoffs. It was a highly enjoyable football game and a rematch in a few months would be most interesting. Westfield did play without their top three WR's, their number one RB and their best OLineman so they were definitely hurting... not sure how many others missed the game. If Westfield gets all their top athletes back and if South County can beat Lake Braddock (which I doubt) they would have a chance to make the final 4. Right now I am leaning towards Lake Braddock representing 6A North. But it's early.

South County is a risk-taking team - they must have taken lessons from Ocean Lakes. They try onside kicks nearly every KO (most of which left Westfield with excellent field position) and they went for it on 4th down quite a few times.

Glad you enjoyed the game! Those type of schools usually have the best fans and student section turnouts, making for better atmosphere. Any thoughts on either team on the field? State championship caliber teams?

But there it is. Soco takes down Westfield. It is hard to beat a good team twice though!

I'm with amish, I liked what SC did last night with the risks and controlling the game. Their wide receiver #9 made a number of big plays and stood out to me the most offensively as when they needed a key play, he was the one that stepped up. I was unaware of the injuries for WF so that makes a lot more sense to me, as I was much more impressed with SC. I'm not as familiar with 6A as I am with the lower classifications so I'm not the best one to determine if a team is state caliber, but I feel like WF has a much higher ceiling as they didnt play great and still had a chance to win, even though SC looked to be in midseason form. This game could be even better later in the year. One thing I really like about SC is when they went to the warp speed offense, they had some success with that one series in particular in the second half.

I agree with everything said above. WF did not play well and some of that is most certainly due to the missing players. They cleaned up most of the penalty problems from the first game but execution mistakes cost them several times. An open RB dropping a short pass in the 2nd quarter on 4th and short at the SC 28. The missed 23 yd FG in the 1st quarter. Two of 3 XPs failed. The two consecutive delay of game penalties late in the second quarter inside the SC red zone when they put in a different QB who does not normally play that position (the backup QB was one of the missing players) and put Scanlon (starting QB) in at WR. They did score on an 11 yard Scanlon run the next play, but that was a bit lucky. They also have yet to find a strong running game, and the unavailability of their expected top RB so far this season has not helped. The RB who got 98 yards in the first game had one run, as he was switched to defense to replace one of the missing players.

Now, all that said, SC outplayed and out executed them. WR #9 should never have gotten past the defense that much on their 2nd TD, a 77 yard pass play, but he did. WR #9 also made a great catch on a 6 yard pass from his QB who was scrambling to his right under pressure while fending off a WF defender for the winning TD late in the 4th quarter. And at the kickoff to open the 2nd half, they recover an onside kick. If that onside kick fails and WF manages to drive down and score to go up 20-12, the game is different. SC gambled and although they did not score, it impacted the game somewhat because they had a chance to go back in front and it eliminated some possible momentum for WF after they took back the lead late in the 2nd quarter.

Those missing players are not injured they are suspended and I believe will miss 3 more games. The big thing Westfield will struggle to fix no matter if those players come back or not is that Oline. It is weak, not the quality they usually have, Scanlon was under assault all night long. They did get one of their injured backs, back in the game this week that's why last weeks TB went to corner..

I never said they were injured. Two of the players out were on the O-line. Yes, their O-line could have played better but you play the hand you are dealt. And their expected #1 TB is still not available, but might be soon. Knowing what he can do, WF fans hope that will improve the running game some.

Last edited:
I never said they were injured. Two of the players out were on the O-line. Yes, their O-line could have played better but you play the hand you are dealt. And their expected #1 TB is still not available, but might be soon. Knowing what he can do, WF fans hope that will improve the running game some.
No, one of the Olineman was suspended, not 2, and so is that other TB you reference. Gone for 3 more games. Yep, you play the hand you're dealt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT