ADVERTISEMENT

Good Luck Coach Woody

Looks like the earlier reports were spot on. I hope coach Woody gives @one man (if he desires) a chance to remain on the staff. Can't let good, young, and dedicated staff go these days. Good luck to Coach Woody and the EC Glass program.

Last edited:
Just read he was stepping down but no mention of his future plans.

Reactions: wikki
Changed the culture and put EC Glass football back on the map! Best wishes at the next destination.
From the outside looking in you are spot on. Hard to beat a sound culture and discipline. Hopefully, Glass will find a suitable replacement and quick. @oldfool I can't say for sure, but Charlottesville HS is the likely destination. That rumor has been floating around for several weeks. It was discussed at length in another thread.

From the outside looking in you are spot on. Hard to beat a sound culture and discipline. Hopefully, Glass will find a suitable replacement and quick.
I think they should find their guy early. I believe the choice is in house, they probably just want to see who else applies.

Whoever gets it steps into a good situation. Coming off a 12-2 season with strength in the junior class and a couple of sophomore studs. Promote one guy to head coach and retain the rest of the staff, and we’re good.

Coach Woody is a class guy. I wish him the best of luck in his next assignment. If it is Charlottesville, hopefully we'll see them turn it around and get to match up with them in Reg D. (Moving back up to C4 this year)

He lives in Charlottesville. Driving back and forth for 8 years is tough.
@lyhsports I believe you are spot on. Plus coaching requires long hours and weekends. I realize internet meetings like zoom have helped out some, but most coaching staffs get together on Sunday to review film. That's a ton of time away from the family. If it is indeed Charlottesville then no one should even question his motives. He gave Glass all he had for eight years and left the program in fantastic shape. That's class in my book. I have no clue, but it would be nice if someone from his staff got a shot. The kids deserve a leader they can respect and are comfortable with. That is often forgotten is coaching searches.

Why the change of scenery seems like there’s something more at play
It was mentioned on another thread that Coach Woody lives in the Charlottesville area and has been driving back and forth all of these years. Coaching football is a lot of late nights and long weeks AND doing that while driving back and forth...whew. The one article I read he mentioned wanting to be home more to see his wife and kids and to be able to help make dinner and find the time to be a dad and husband. If he has a new position and it is near his home, he would be able to balance family and football a lot more easily.

I don’t doubt that 2 hour round trip took its toll as the years progressed , but to step down after the most successful season in probably the last 25 years for glass seems like something else moved the needle more than the desire to return to family in cville. When woody returned to the Seminole he left behind a program that is in the footprint of being close to the family and was burgeoning with success prior to his hire (championship potential and history). Woody transformed the glass program back to what it used to be but as we have seen numerous times in the district the next guy doesn’t always take the keys and drive smoothly (variety of reasons , cyclical talent/etc).

I’m just throwing this out there(and it’s just a wild notion)……I wonder if there is any chance that Woody would have a shot at a position at UVA. It is very rare for HS guys to jump to a college position without climbing the ladder first(GA, analyst, etc). But it’s not unheard of.

Reactions: VolNation85
I’m just throwing this out there(and it’s just a wild notion)……I wonder if there is any chance that Woody would have a shot at a position at UVA. It is very rare for HS guys to jump to a college position without climbing the ladder first(GA, analyst, etc). But it’s not unheard of.
Not unheard of but not possible in this situation because of the NCAA IAWP(Individual Associate with a Prospect) rule. NCAA prohibits an FBS program from hiring a high school coach that has a former player on that roster within the past two years. Eli Wood is a freshman WR for UVa that played for Coach Woody 2018-2021. Also, the NCAA prohibits any FBS programs from hiring a high school coach that is associated with a prospect or school that they they recruit for a two year window. So, if Uva hired Coach Woody for 2023, UVa could not recruit E.C. Glass players again until 2025. The second reason isn't a complete deal breaker but the first is.

From the outside looking in you are spot on. Hard to beat a sound culture and discipline. Hopefully, Glass will find a suitable replacement and quick. @oldfool I can't say for sure, but Charlottesville HS is the likely destination. That rumor has been floating around for several weeks. It was discussed at length in another thread.
Yeah that is where i was hearing. Another article in the paper today confirmed Charlottesville.

I just read in the article that Woody has a 14 year old son. Even if he never coaches another down of football(and he will), it explains the timing in leaving Glass. No way he wants to miss his sons high school games if his son chooses to play.
It’s also a good age to make new friends at high school

Reactions: bulldog1150
I just read in the article that Woody has a 14 year old son. Even if he never coaches another down of football(and he will), it explains the timing in leaving Glass. No way he wants to miss his sons high school games if his son chooses to play.
Blackknight Pride, do you know if football is in his son’s future?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Blackknight Pride, do you know if football is in his son’s future?

I am not sure. I do know that his kids are zoned to go to Charlottesville High School (though there is a chance they might go elsewhere but I doubt it), and I am unaware of what sports they will play. Even if they don't play football, hoping the lure of having both his kids at the school will bring him there ultimately.

I think CHS is a wonderful school. Great academics and super diverse, the teachers really care about the students. Obviously every school system deals with drama but I think it is a great place and would obviously love to have him. My freshman/sophomore year of high school were our best football years in like forty years and we went 7-4, 7-5, with two playoff berths and a second round and first round playoff exit. Ironically, we lost at EC Glass 21-20 in overtime in the season opener in 2017, I believe that was Woody's second or third year with the Hilltoppers. Hoping, if he does end up at CHS, we can return to relevance and go even beyond, I have no doubt Woody is the guy to do that.

I am not sure. I do know that his kids are zoned to go to Charlottesville High School (though there is a chance they might go elsewhere but I doubt it), and I am unaware of what sports they will play. Even if they don't play football, hoping the lure of having both his kids at the school will bring him there ultimately.

I think CHS is a wonderful school. Great academics and super diverse, the teachers really care about the students. Obviously every school system deals with drama but I think it is a great place and would obviously love to have him. My freshman/sophomore year of high school were our best football years in like forty years and we went 7-4, 7-5, with two playoff berths and a second round and first round playoff exit. Ironically, we lost at EC Glass 21-20 in overtime in the season opener in 2017, I believe that was Woody's second or third year with the Hilltoppers. Hoping, if he does end up at CHS, we can return to relevance and go even beyond, I have no doubt Woody is the guy to do that.
Thank you sir. If you find out anything, please share with us.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Seems like Sherry was an extremely loyal coach. As previously stated I have no clue about the actual reason, but even with the tough circumstances outlined on the article his removal may have been a result of Dr. Gurley's (superintendents) high standards. Good luck to Coach Sherry.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT