ADVERTISEMENT

Graham @ Union.

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
Should be a good one. Thoughts?

For me, I think Graham has improved, but the O-Line may not have improved enough to keep Union at bay. Unions D-Line owned Graham in the first match-up. For Graham, Clements is healthy, but you can't run it, if you can't block successfully. I think Graham can keep it close, but I give Union the edge due to their better line play, and ability to match up athletically with Graham

After that first game I would have said Union close but comfortable. Now I am thinking it’s a toss up with the way both have played in their last few. Clements healthy and the line play improving definitely favor the G-men. Union has a very good inside run game that can be complemented by their passing game.

Who do you trust to call the better game and who comes out and just does what they do? I like the “upset” with a slight edge going to the coaching from Bluefield.

After that first game I would have said Union close but comfortable. Now I am thinking it’s a toss up with the way both have played in their last few. Clements healthy and the line play improving definitely favor the G-men. Union has a very good inside run game that can be complemented by their passing game.

Who do you trust to call the better game and who comes out and just does what they do? I like the “upset” with a slight edge going to the coaching from Bluefield.
Hope you are right, but I think Turner and Palmer are 5-5 head to head and Union holds a 6-5 overall lead on Graham (somebody correct me of I'm wrong)...Union has 16 coaches on the sideline, they usually play Graham very tough, even when Graham has more talent. This time around, the talent is pretty even.

Should be some good ole smash mouth football-if coaching is the determining factor, I’ll lean Graham; talent , call it even; offensive line play, edge to Union, kicking game, thinking Graham. Graham has so many injured right now. Several looked to get really banged up against Gate City. Hopefully, they get healed up! It’s going to be a long week of waiting & then a long drive 😂. Most are giving edge to Union but I say “Go GMen!”

Bear offense gotta be a bit more dynamic and stop those damn drive killing penalties but going 99.9 yards without throwing a pass and just basically ending the game was an impressive display.
But Graham WILL hit a few explosive plays. No way around it. The Union offense will need a few to match. Hard to beat a good team twice. Always.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Should be some good ole smash mouth football-if coaching is the determining factor, I’ll lean Graham; talent , call it even; offensive line play, edge to Union, kicking game, thinking Graham. Graham has so many injured right now. Several looked to get really banged up against Gate City. Hopefully, they get healed up! It’s going to be a long week of waiting & then a long drive 😂. Most are giving edge to Union but I say “Go GMen!”
I hope you are right, but I think Union is a little more physical then Graham and are better at the fundamentals then Graham this season. Lineplay has been consistent for Union, not so much fir Graham. They tackle very well and play smart and conservative when they need to. Also. As you mentioned, Graham is bruised and banged up after playing a very physical Gate City team. Union is more physical then Gate City. Union looks the part this year.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
I think Graham struggles heavily with union’s lines.

I went back and watched Graham vs. Tazewell. Union should adopt what Tazewell did against Graham’s run game and they won’t have to worry about Clements beating them.

I would bring pressure and play every play like it’s a run. Take my chances on the outside with my DB’s against their WR’s. They’ll beat you once or twice for a TD but it won’t be consistent enough to win.

Clements ended up with 318 yards on 26 carries with 4 tds. Graham had 390 total yards against a very good Union defense giving up just 9 points per game and 150 yards per game. Great performance by Clements and valiant effort by Union. Great game to watch. Clements has elite speed and showed toughness by not going down with initial contact. Union controlled a lot of possession. But Graham's explosive offense was too much today. Neither team punted.

Last edited:
News Flash: Graham G-Men will go Bobcat hunting in Radford next Saturday.
Congratulations to the G-Men!
I wish it was in Radford! Unfortunately our administration has failed to make necessary repairs to the visiting stands so the game will be moved. I suspect the game will be played in Christiansburg or at PC.

I think Graham struggles heavily with union’s lines.

I went back and watched Graham vs. Tazewell. Union should adopt what Tazewell did against Graham’s run game and they won’t have to worry about Clements beating them.

I would bring pressure and play every play like it’s a run. Take my chances on the outside with my DB’s against their WR’s. They’ll beat you once or twice for a TD but it won’t be consistent enough to win.
Guess T Turner didn’t read my post!

I wish it was in Radford! Unfortunately our administration has failed to make necessary repairs to the visiting stands so the game will be moved. I suspect the game will be played in Christiansburg or at PC.
I hate that for the kids at Radford, they worked hard for home field advantage. I'm sure Graham will bring a big following. Usually fans from other schools show up at these games too, for both sides, so they will need plenty of seating. Should be a great game.

From early on in game 2, I felt like we were going to win every game. I was concerned about Appo and Glenvar, but truly thought we would be in good shape, but didn't admit it on this board. Graham worries me. Just a whole other level of talent with size, speed, physicality, historical tradition. For the first time this year when Radford steps on the field, we might not be the most talented team. Radford will need to be far better then what we were against Glenvar in order to win.

Ty’Drez “5” is the real deal. Good luck to Graham the rest of the way. Keep it going and bring back a championship for SWVA

I was so proud of the Bears for not quitting. You fought hard all year and Big Stone Gap/Appalachia is proud of you.

Bullitt Park was electric today! Just came up a little short to an outstanding team.

The performance by Clements today was better then his 7 td, 409 yard performance in last years region finals. He played hard, refused to go down and made big plays out of what seemed to be certain losses. I won't forget this performance any time soon. He got nailed hard on one play early on, the Union crowd was all yelling "oooooooh" very vocally after he got hit, he just bounced off of it accelerated and ran 50 yards for a td. Gutsy and determined performance by him. Possibly the best defense in 2A in Virginia knew who was getting the ball and he still made then pay, multiple times.

Ty’Drez “5” is the real deal. Good luck to Graham the rest of the way. Keep it going and bring back a championship for SWVA

I was so proud of the Bears for not quitting. You fought hard all year and Big Stone Gap/Appalachia is proud of you.

Bullitt Park was electric today! Just came up a little short to an outstanding team.
Bullitt was rocking today for sure.

Former superintendent dropped the ball, needed to address the situation in 2015.
So what they play in cburg or even Pulaski
It’s about the players.

So im guessing it wont be on nfhs then since its at a different school?

So im guessing it wont be on nfhs then since its at a different school?
Pulaski doesn't do NFHS, so if there, definitely not. If at CBurg, maybe since it's a state game, VHSL will ask the A.D. to schedule the game on NFHS. Just gotta search it under VHSL playoffs.

Union played hard & was a formidable opponent. Bullitt Park is the greatest atmosphere around! Congrats to Bears on a great season! Union folks very hospitable! Thanks for a great game, Bears! It’s a shame either had to lose.

Last edited:
The performance by Clements today was better then his 7 td, 409 yard performance in last years region finals. He played hard, refused to go down and made big plays out of what seemed to be certain losses. I won't forget this performance any time soon. He got nailed hard on one play early on, the Union crowd was all yelling "oooooooh" very vocally after he got hit, he just bounced off of it accelerated and ran 50 yards for a td. Gutsy and determined performance by him. Possibly the best defense in 2A in Virginia knew who was getting the ball and he still made then pay, multiple times.
That kid was in it to win it yesterday!

🚨🚨🚨The VHSL has announced Radford will host Graham in the state semifinals at 2 pm Saturday, December 2nd @ Christiansburg High School

More information will be released later in the week

Per Graham Sports Network

What do Union and/or Graham fans think about this?
I think it's highly inappropriate for a volunteer to be posting something like that and to be talking like that around the kids, but we know that sort of stuff goes on a lot. It's childish and disappointing. But as they say, one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch. I just wish folks could win with class and act like they've been there before, especially the adults involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gridiron1960
I think it's highly inappropriate for a volunteer to be posting something like that and to be talking like that around the kids, but we know that sort of stuff goes on a lot. Disappointing. But as they say, one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch. I just wish folks could win with class and act like they've been there before, especially the adults involved.
I agree with you. I found the timing of it possibly worse than what he said. For no reason should a coach on the sidelines go live on instagram/Facebook while a game is still going on. That’s pretty disrespectful if we’re being honest.

I think it's highly inappropriate for a volunteer to be posting something like that and to be talking like that around the kids, but we know that sort of stuff goes on a lot. It's childish and disappointing. But as they say, one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch. I just wish folks could win with class and act like they've been there before, especially the adults involved.
This assistant joined the staff last year.. It's his 2ne season at Graham. Very inappropriate and disappointing! I don't even know why a coach would even be on their phone during a game much less going live to post that crap. I understand getting caught up in the moment and winning a hard fought game that a lot of people thought you would lose but Graham is better than this!

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, this assistant joined the staff this past summer. It's his first season at Graham. Very inappropriate and disappointing! I don't even know why a coach would even be on their phone during a game much less going live to post that crap. I understand getting caught up in the moment and winning a hard fought game that a lot of people thought you would lose but Graham is better than this!
Per a Facebook post, he joined the Graham coaching staff in the summer of 2022 as the defensive line coach. This is his second season as a coach there.

Per a Facebook post, he joined the Graham coaching staff in the summer of 2022 as the defensive line coach. This is his second season as a coach there.
Thanks! I knew he hadn't been there very long like some of the others. I corrected my information.

You joined this site today just to share the video I presume.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I found the timing of it possibly worse than what he said. For no reason should a coach on the sidelines go live on instagram/Facebook while a game is still going on. That’s pretty disrespectful if we’re being honest.
I'm not defending the video but it was obviously when Graham went into victory formation. The timing was in essence end of the game. I wouldn't think he was on his phone during the actual game or at least hope not.

I'm not defending the video but it was obviously when Graham went into victory formation. The timing was in essence end of the game. I wouldn't think he was on his phone during the actual game or at least hope not.
The game had not ended. Players are still lined up on the field. You haven’t shook Union’s hands and congratulated them on a great game/season. Can’t really defend that at all.

Even if you would want to defend the action and timing I would imagine that Tazewell County has a social media policy that would not allow the language he used.

I disagree with the decision to relieve the coach of his duties. Going live at the end of the game or in the very last minute is a bad choice, but it is towards the end of the game. That would be a severe warning and write up. As for the language used, that is a problem. He used the N word and that implies he brings Race into the equation and that wreaks of the idea of "race" as a huge deal in his life; otherwise, he wouldn't have used the word regardless of what color he is or who the term is derogatory to. But, I don't agree with firing. Suspension for 1 year, write up, no coaching duties for one year, and instructed if you ever use that language again, you are gone, but as for permanent firing, I disagree with it. I also don't condone his behavior. I've never been a huge fan of firing someone without a second chance and an opportunity to change, unless a criminal act is committed.

I know in today’s world of being ultra sensitive that the coaches video will offend many. I don’t like the language but football is a very emotional sport. People do and say things in the moment. That’s what it is, a moment, a not so good one, but hopefully just a moment. I’d be more concerned about the lack of judgement to post live on social media. Not much good comes from that…

If some of the stuff my old coaches said on the sidelines, locker room and/or bus got out, they’d probably be in jail now🤷‍♂️

Not sure how this guy ended up at Graham when he seems to be more appropriate for a gig in Richmond, Norfolk, or Hampton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT