ADVERTISEMENT

Harris out in Altavista

catchtds

VaPreps Varsity
Gold Member
May 11, 2009
Altavista will be looking for a new boys basketball coach. Troy Harris resigned, I really don't know and this is a guess, no one could please the principal they have.

Altavista will be looking for a new boys basketball coach. Troy Harris resigned, I really don't know and this is a guess, no one could please the principal they have.
I just found out about this. I know Troy and his family. Good people. Sorry to hear about his resignation as coach at Altavista. Will be interesting to hear any particulars. Was it his record of wins and losses or something else? Altavista loves their basketball and has done so since I was a kid in the fifties and sixties. They tolerate losing even in football BUT NOT BASKETBALL. How would you like to take over a program where every coach they have had in that sport is or will be in the state coaching hall of fame. From Don Thompson to Jim Hawley to Stu Richardson to Mike Cartalaro with a very few other coaches thrown in who also knew basketball but were not there long enough to win. Who would want to follow three state titles back to back and then get the reins when the talent dropped off a steep cliff. Just my opinion.

I just found out about this. I know Troy and his family. Good people. Sorry to hear about his resignation as coach at Altavista. Will be interesting to hear any particulars. Was it his record of wins and losses or something else? Altavista loves their basketball and has done so since I was a kid in the fifties and sixties. They tolerate losing even in football BUT NOT BASKETBALL. How would you like to take over a program where every coach they have had in that sport is or will be in the state coaching hall of fame. From Don Thompson to Jim Hawley to Stu Richardson to Mike Cartalaro with a very few other coaches thrown in who also knew basketball but were not there long enough to win. Who would want to follow three state titles back to back and then get the reins when the talent dropped off a steep cliff. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with that and I think Harris was doing the best he could with what he had. I doubt Gafford felt like that..imo!

I totally agree with that and I think Harris was doing the best he could with what he had. I doubt Gafford felt like that..imo!
OOPs. I said three states back to back which means I left one back out . LOL. A three peat. He had also won another one earlier for a total of four.

Casey Johnson is the new head coach.
Small Single A Altavista lands a coach that seems to have a good background. Played under Cartalaro at Va High, dad was a college coach and he was an assitant college coach. On paper it would seem Altavista made a good hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT