ADVERTISEMENT

I realize it's super early and this is football season but still

Sep 11, 2017
I'm hearing good things about some of the girls on the maroon tide basketball team and their off season work. Early off season question or rather preseason question. With GW girls all graduating and last years winners Parry MCClure graduating most of their roster. Who would be the Maroon tides biggest competition? I see no one Deep South that really sticks out. How about eastern ?

Yes I know it's football season but I'm excited for the girls of galax. They are working hard.

Surry girls were young last year and should make another deep run in the states and should challenge PM for the state title.

So the surry team is bringing a lot back ? They had a very impressive group last year. I didn't realize they were young. PM graduated a few key players is what I heard. I know GW graduated everyone but PM also lost their share is what we've heard.

I really think our Maroon tide should be the clear favorites from the west. People are going to be in for a surprise when they see Galax this year.

So the surry team is bringing a lot back ? They had a very impressive group last year. I didn't realize they were young. PM graduated a few key players is what I heard. I know GW graduated everyone but PM also lost their share is what we've heard.

I really think our Maroon tide should be the clear favorites from the west. People are going to be in for a surprise when they see Galax this year.
It will be between PM and Galax. We had a relatively young team last year but I was impressed by Galax very well coached TEAM.

It will be between PM and Galax. We had a relatively young team last year but I was impressed by Galax very well coached TEAM.

So PM is expecting to be back ? Did you have some good young kids come replace the ones you lost ? Sorry being so nosey. I'm just trying to size up the competition that's left. Most high school programs that lose a lot of kids have a hard time replacing them.

There's plenty of excitement for the Maroon Tide. We basically have our girls for the next 2 years. I know it's hard to win back to back but I'd be shocked if we can't get at least one.

Good luck to you fighting Blue. Love to see you make it deep and get a shot at our girls.

Surry returns every one of the starters that went 16-1 without their 6'5 big girl that upset a really good Atlantic Shores Christian team, as well as Richmond Christian and Lafayette with 3 freshman and two Sophmores as their starters.

Reactions: southwestrocks
Surry returns every one of the starters that went 16-1 without their 6'5 big girl that upset a really good Atlantic Shores Christian team, as well as Richmond Christian and Lafayette with 3 freshman and two Sophmores as their starters.

I'm not familiar with the upsets you listed but it certainly sounds like surry is a good program returning some strong players. We look forward to a possible match up.

Reactions: afitnupe75

Excuse me!!!!!

For your information George Wythe did NOT graduate everyone. We have returning kids that are out to prove themselves. Furthermore you may be happy to know that the kids coming into George wythes program this year just might be as good or better then the ones that just graduated. Also the last time I checked Galax lost to George Wythe every time we played.
Until proven other wise the road to the top of the west remains with George Wythe

Thank you

So PM is expecting to be back ? Did you have some good young kids come replace the ones you lost ? Sorry being so nosey. I'm just trying to size up the competition that's left. Most high school programs that lose a lot of kids have a hard time replacing them.

There's plenty of excitement for the Maroon Tide. We basically have our girls for the next 2 years. I know it's hard to win back to back but I'd be shocked if we can't get at least one.

Good luck to you fighting Blue. Love to see you make it deep and get a shot at our girls.

We had mostly sophomores. Should be a fun year.

Excuse me!!!!!

For your information George Wythe did NOT graduate everyone. We have returning kids that are out to prove themselves. Furthermore you may be happy to know that the kids coming into George wythes program this year just might be as good or better then the ones that just graduated. Also the last time I checked Galax lost to George Wythe every time we played.
Until proven other wise the road to the top of the west remains with George Wythe

Thank you

That is a very bold prediction. Should be fun to watch.

Excuse me!!!!!

Thank you

We were extremely young last year and have made huge gains since then. No disrespect but I'd have a very hard time believing GW will be better this year as opposed to last. If that's the case then the future certainly looks bright for you.

No matter the Maroon Tide ladies are ready for the challenge.

We had mostly sophomores. Should be a fun year.

Not so sure about this ? I'm not questioning the fact your saying you had sophomores on the roster but what actual factor or role did they play. I'm sorry but I have to raise an eyebrow if your suggesting that a predominately group of sophomores won the state title. Even one or two players that graduate can make a huge difference on a team if those players are your best players.

I'm not trying to stir the pot all I'm suggesting is the Maroon Tide will be hard to handle this year. It's probably to early for this anyway.

Not so sure about this ? I'm not questioning the fact your saying you had sophomores on the roster but what actual factor or role did they play. I'm sorry but I have to raise an eyebrow if your suggesting that a predominately group of sophomores won the state title. Even one or two players that graduate can make a huge difference on a team if those players are your best players.

I'm not trying to stir the pot all I'm suggesting is the Maroon Tide will be hard to handle this year. It's probably to early for this anyway.

We had mostly sophomores last year we will be fine. I totally agree about Galax being 1 of the top teams in the state they were very young and have an awesome coach. I was very impressed by the Maroon Tide. They definately have a shot. GW should be no problem they do have talent but feel they are lacking in the coaching department.

We had mostly sophomores last year we will be fine. I totally agree about Galax being 1 of the top teams in the state they were very young and have an awesome coach. I was very impressed by the Maroon Tide. They definately have a shot. GW should be no problem they do have talent but feel they are lacking in the coaching department.

Really ?

We were extremely young last year and have made huge gains since then. No disrespect but I'd have a very hard time believing GW will be better this year as opposed to last. If that's the case then the future certainly looks bright for you.

No matter the Maroon Tide ladies are ready for the challenge.

The maroons are always up for a challenge

Do you have a sports problem when your sitting at the hokie game and texting about an up coming girls basketball season ha ha

Of course this thing is done 38-0 hokie nation rolling.

Looking forward to the upcoming girls season. I guess we will see soon enough who's for real and who is not.

GW will go from big and physical to small and quick !! Look for them to create havoc and turn you over. Galax will be strong but will lack depth . The defending champs are back and it will be a battle from these 3 in the west . Good luck to all this year and hope that the ladies stay injury free. Where will the region finals be held this year ?

Being from Riverheads and close enough to PM I got news for you all. I have watched PM girls who were sophomores last year play in tourneys for several years rotating 5 in and 5 out. They are certainly the team to beat. Last year they started 2 jr's and 3 sophomores and rotated the other sophomores in and out throughout the entire game. Repeating for a state title is always tough but all roads to the title go through them in my opinion...

Tough to argue with that . How will Riverheads be on the boys side this year ? They were young but has some talent . Who do you think will be in the Region finals in the east

Being from Riverheads and close enough to PM I got news for you all. I have watched PM girls who were sophomores last year play in tourneys for several years rotating 5 in and 5 out. They are certainly the team to beat. Last year they started 2 jr's and 3 sophomores and rotated the other sophomores in and out throughout the entire game. Repeating for a state title is always tough but all roads to the title go through them in my opinion...

Maybe as roger clemmons said I've got miss information. Or did he say miss remember ?
No matter it certainly sounds like PM is loaded or I guess still loaded. Still hard to believe a sophomore loaded team took out GW last year. I watched GW last year several times and I thought they would win easily.

I still will take our Maroon tide this year. I really think everyone is in for a surprise.

Last at you GWMOM. GW may be better than I'm giving them credit to be however if anything the road to the top would go through PM certainly not a young bunch of first time players from GW.

Maybe we didn't beat y'all last year but I'm counting on getting pay back in a big way this year

Maybe as roger clemmons said I've got miss information. Or did he say miss remember ?
No matter it certainly sounds like PM is loaded or I guess still loaded. Still hard to believe a sophomore loaded team took out GW last year. I watched GW last year several times and I thought they would win easily.

I still will take our Maroon tide this year. I really think everyone is in for a surprise.

Last at you GWMOM. GW may be better than I'm giving them credit to be however if anything the road to the top would go through PM certainly not a young bunch of first time players from GW.

Maybe we didn't beat y'all last year but I'm counting on getting pay back in a big way this year

Well you just go on and keep believing that George Wythe is down. It's a fact that we are more talented this year. On top of that PM got lucky in the first place. I can promise you that GW beats Galax this year.

I never said anything about GW, but if you think PM got lucky last year and you have more talent than you had, good luck and it should be a great year to watch girls basketball. II for one hope to catch GW and PM play should it come to that. Good thing about this board you can always go back and see who was right and who was wrong...See you in March!

I never said anything about GW, but if you think PM got lucky last year and you have more talent than you had, good luck and it should be a great year to watch girls basketball. II for one hope to catch GW and PM play should it come to that. Good thing about this board you can always go back and see who was right and who was wrong...See you in March!

What has riberheads done ? You weren't even close to us last year. I wish we would play y'all to

Riverheads made a great run last year. Very proud of our girls! Yes PM knocked us out and now I hope they do the same to GW this year. GWMOM I guess we will see soon enough about your talent level, I never said that Riverheads would be a team to beat this year and never said GW wasn't. Guess we will see soon enough if GW is that good or you have your mommie glasses on....

How is PM boys this year . They got a great coach and its about time to see PM boys make some noise . Covington should also be tuff . With Radford and fort moving up to 2A the door is wide open . Look out for Eastside

Don't know much about PM boys. Who is their coach? Their previous coach had been there for many years and was a legend in the valley.

Riverheads made a great run last year. Very proud of our girls! Yes PM knocked us out and now I hope they do the same to GW this year. GWMOM I guess we will see soon enough about your talent level, I never said that Riverheads would be a team to beat this year and never said GW wasn't. Guess we will see soon enough if GW is that good or you have your mommie glasses on....

This year you can bring your glasses and come watch GW play for the championship again

Yeah well we will see what happens this year
GW has college level players coming. Let's see what PM can do with that

Are you for real ? No wonder your having trouble getting along with others. I watched you play multiple games last year. Including the games against Maroon tide. There's no way you can make the statement that you have college level players coming.

Even if that's true I think you should have to prove it before going there with it.

I'm actually worried about a couple other teams this year more so than GW. Your way out of line with that statement.

I look forward to seeing GW again this year but best believe the road to Richmond definitely comes thru Buena Vista. 2 seniors and 8 juniors GO BLUE!!!!!!

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing GW again this year but best believe the road to Richmond definitely comes thru Buena Vista. 2 seniors and 8 juniors GO BLUE!!!!!!

There's one thing this thread is proving. There's a tremendous amount of excitement for the upcoming girls season. While I know GW mom has stirred the pot with a couple predictions I do want to state something that is over looked.
Southwest style of play has proven to be extremely intimidating and I personally feel is the sole reason that the southwest up until last year has dominated the state or rather state titles. I've watched many teams with more talent continually fall at the hands of southwest basketball. Down here we beat and bang and stay on a relentless pursuit of Defense that teams just aren't ready for.

When teams come to this part of the world it's a point guard nightmare. Over the years I've watched so many point guards play against the southwest and just get completely rattled and intimidated. Once this happens the entire team loses control and it's game over.

I will admit I wasn't able to see PM play last year. It certainly sounds like many players are coming back but I'm not sure PM can get by another year of southwest basketball. It's not luck when you've won as many states as the southwest as won over the past few years. I truly believe the intimidation factor is one of the biggest reasons why. Very few ball handlers and teams can deal with hardcore southwest basketball.

Are you for real ? No wonder your having trouble getting along with others. I watched you play multiple games last year. Including the games against Maroon tide. There's no way you can make the statement that you have college level players coming.

Even if that's true I think you should have to prove it before going there with it.

I'm actually worried about a couple other teams this year more so than GW. Your way out of line with that statement.

Good that makes me happy to hear that your not worried about us. Like I told you before you haven't even beat us. You weren't even close last year.

And if you watched us then you know what we have coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT