ADVERTISEMENT

Is PM GBB projected to win it all again this year?

Yes. I doubt any 1A team can stay within 20 points of them. I do not know who is on their schedule this year but hopefully they picked up some tougher competition than last year. LB and Floyd were the only games that were competitive last year during regular season. Their 12 district games will not be competitive at all. They had Broadway and Gate City on the schedule last year but both teams were way down. Hopefully LB, William Fleming, Christiansburg, and Floyd will be on there this year to give them some competitive games.

I believe PM has games with Spottswood, Lord Botetourt, and William Fleming. All are at a much higher level than GW or Surry. 3 in a row is just around the corner.

My cousin told me that PM girls beat Virginia High School girls by over 30 yesterday at VA High. What division is VA High?

Surry girls just beat a pretty good 4A Smithfield team by over 20...

I saw surry play last year at the state tournament vs PM. I thought they were very solid and aggressive. Your just to Far East For me to keep up with on my rankings. I live about 1 hour south of Roanoke and have enjoyed following the teams for several years now. Are you familiar with the teams I'm ranking in for West? If so where do you think Surry would be on that list? I will attempt to keep track of Surry with your help on scores and updates.
I only have a couple 1A teams in my top 10 right now but after watching several games last year I'm convinced there could be more movement from the smaller schools.
I'm naturally biased towards Honaker and spent 15 years there many moons ago. The problem with Honaker girls basketball ball is they are either up or down. There's no in between
I'm sure they are hoping this group begins an up hill swing that stays straight forward.
I do think Surry has caught a lot of basketball people's eye. They just ran into a rare single A Powerhouse with PM. How do you think Surry will stack up on my list and who do you compare a team like Smithfield to ?
Sorry for the 20 questions I've spent decades following girls Basketball with all 5 daughters playing the sport. I'm Very interested in the East side but I have very little information to compare.

Surry tried to schedule PM but got turned down..

Very interesting to say the least. I will ask you the same I asked afitnupe where do you think Surry ranks on my West Rankings of all the divisions. Where would you rank the Smithfield team compared to the list of West Rankings I have ?

Surry tried to schedule PM but got turned down..

Cross state travel for a regular season football game would be a bit much, let alone girls basketball. Was this supposed to be a home and away series?

Cross state travel for a regular season football game would be a bit much, let alone girls basketball. Was this supposed to be a home and away series?

Yes you could be correct today's game is much different than years past. Money dictates a lot of scheduling and traveling especially with smaller schools.
With Some of the opponents Sportacus listed above that PM is playing. It appears they are not ducking anyone.

Food for thought

Although I have PM listed high on my Rankings and believe them to be a major player in the girls division
I must say that PM will have their hands full getting back to VCU to see Surry this year. GALAX caught my eye last year and I think they may be better this year. 1A will be interesting this year

Yes you could be correct today's game is much different than years past. Money dictates a lot of scheduling and traveling especially with smaller schools.
With Some of the opponents Sportacus listed above that PM is playing. It appears they are not ducking anyone.

Food for thought

Although I have PM listed high on my Rankings and believe them to be a major player in the girls division
I must say that PM will have their hands full getting back to VCU to see Surry this year. GALAX caught my eye last year and I think they may be better this year. 1A will be interesting this year
Galax will be no match for PM. I saw them last year and they were young so should be better this year but no way can they compete with PM. LB, WF, and Spotswood will give PM some competition and probably Central-Wise, but I see PM beating WF and at least splitting with Spotswood. I doubt they beat LB but it will be a good game for them. I don't know about Central but they have been pretty good in the past so that may be a heavyweight match-up. I really don't see any 1A schools causing PM any problems, but hey, that's why you play the games. I would like to see girls basketball get back to being good again. Now you have 3 to 5 teams at each level that are good and everyone else is struggling. A lot of girls are choosing not to play basketball. It is officiated very poorly which makes it rough and a lot of girls don't like it. Others are choosing to play travel volleyball or other sports and those other sports have travel teams in the spring or summer just as basketball does.

Reactions: champrankings
My cousin told me that PM girls beat Virginia High School girls by over 30 yesterday at VA High. What division is VA High?

I attended this game and you heard correctly
PM did win by 25 or 30 points but don't go to sleep on VA HIGH they are much tougher than they looked that weekend. They had an off night shooting but when they are hot they can change a game very quickly. Several kids have signed to play ball at the next level.
PM is a rare 1A team though. Teams like this do not come around very often. I've seen them play a total of 6 times in the last 2 years and I think they can play with any team, in any division in the State.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Lost two seniors, Hannah will be missed, have a Freshman, Katie Claytor is very good ball player. Also have a transfer student from Europe that is tall and lanky and can shoot

Reactions: mmqp
Lost two seniors, Hannah will be missed, have a Freshman, Katie Claytor is very good ball player. Also have a transfer student from Europe that is tall and lanky and can shoot

My understanding from PM was this team was home grown and built from many years together.
Is that the case or does PM commonly bring transfers to their program? I know of other programs like that who seem to always bring in a star player or difference maker when needed.
You have to wonder where they find them?

Is the player from Europe a starter? Or will she be a major contributor? I'm just curious
Either way it won't change my Ranking of PM right now. They are as good as it gets and I guess maybe even better than I seen last year with this transfer. It looks like we are in for a very entertaining season.

From what I’ve heard she won’t be much of a contributor she was an exchange student who is fairly tall but not played much basketball. The core of PM’s group is made up of 9 seniors most of who have played together since elementary school.

From what I’ve heard she won’t be much of a contributor she was an exchange student who is fairly tall but not played much basketball. The core of PM’s group is made up of 9 seniors most of who have played together since elementary school.

Thank you for the clarification
This is what I heard about the team layout last year. I was hoping they weren't a team divised of transfers. Home grown programs and small town pride are always the best stories.
I have strong ties to Honaker and they are in the process of building a very solid group.

My understanding from PM was this team was home grown and built from many years together.
Is that the case or does PM commonly bring transfers to their program? I know of other programs like that who seem to always bring in a star player or difference maker when needed.
You have to wonder where they find them?

Is the player from Europe a starter? Or will she be a major contributor? I'm just curious
Either way it won't change my Ranking of PM right now. They are as good as it gets and I guess maybe even better than I seen last year with this transfer. It looks like we are in for a very entertaining season.
No. She is not a starter and gets little playing time. ALL of these ladies (with the exception of Katie Claytor) have been playing basketball together since they could walk. The transfer is a foreign exchange student. PM normally gets one a year and this is her 1st year. They lost at Spotswood last night, and it wasn’t a close game. BUT don’t let that fool you, Spotswood is a VERY good team.

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT