ADVERTISEMENT

My proposed realignment - 6A

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Hi all. I had some fun and did this last year with what I think was a four class setup, but I wanted to try things based on the recent ADM to slot teams into districts based on proximity and size in a six class setup.

I've divided all the schools on the ADM report into six equal classes and developed districts on that. My geography may not be all that great so if I didn't slot a team in a preferred district, I don't have it out for your school and it wasn't intentional. I looked at the map of Virginia and put schools in districts starting with District 1 - 6A in the west to District 8 - 6A which goes into the east.

One thing that is different about this time is that the districts aren't of equal size.

And you have to play everyone in your district. This makes district champions matter again!

The top four teams in each district would make the playoffs and would play their partner district in the bi-district round to start the playoffs. It would look something like this:

#1 District 1 - 6A hosts #4 District 2 - 6A
#2 District 2 - 6A hosts #3 District 1 - 6A

#2 District 1 - 6A hosts #3 District 2 - 6A
#1 District 2 - 6A hosts #4 District 1 - 6A

Higher seed hosts but if two teams meet in the third round (Regional Final) and they have the same rankings from bi-district, then the team that would host would be derived from a tiebreaker scenario which would be uniform across the VHSL.

The same format would be the same for Districts 3 thru 8.

Region I would be District 1 - 6A and District 2 - 6A
Region II would be District 3 - 6A and District 4 - 6A
Region III would be District 5 - 6A and District 6 - 6A
Region IV would be District 7 - 6A and District 8 - 6A

So here we go with my little project! And remember, your team has to go somewhere. And if I separated teams that are in the same county or nearby, it wasn't intentional.

Class 6

Region I

District 1 - 6ADistrict 2 - 6A
Freedom - LCFalls Church
ChantillyGeorge Marshall
WestfieldW.T. Woodson
CentrevilleFairfax
South LakesJames Madison
West Springfield

Region II

District 3 - 6ADistrict 4 - 6A
Lake BraddockWashington-Liberty
James RobinsonJustice
HerndonAnnandale
OaktonHayfield
LangleyWakefield
McLeanYorktown
Thomas Edison
Alexandria City
West Potomac

Region III

District 5 - 6ADistrict 6 - 6A
OsbournStafford
Unity ReedBrooke Point
Osbourn ParkMountain View
BattlefieldHylton
PatriotFreedom - W
Charles J. ColganGar-Field
Forest ParkWoodbridge
South County

Region IV

District 7 - 6ADistrict 8 - 6A
Thomas DaleLandstown
ManchesterOscar Smith
CosbyGrassfield
Highland SpringsWestern Branch
Meadowbrook
Deep Run
Glen Allen
Patrick Henry - R

Reactions: 17Bluebird
I take it these don't account for the recent appeal decisions?

The geography on Districts 2-4 seems off to me, although the current not-entirely-geographic districts seem to work okay. Soco being stuck with a bunch of trips down 95 instead of being grouped with other Fairfax schools is obviously not happening in real life.

I like your idea and think its great. You should email the VHSL and show them your idea. Hopefully they will listen and make the changes in the next cycle.

What in going to do is give them VHSL a list of schools that are playing up that are getting beat by 50 or more points and a list of schools that are playing up but do not play a district schedule and hopefully they can put them in the right classification.

When there is one school that has won only 5 games since 2004. They need to go down a classification and play schools with their own enrollment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT