ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching Rule's Impact on Championship Game

Midlo Dad

VaPreps Varsity
Mar 17, 2006
Great Bridge can use neither Jones nor Harrelson on Sunday.

Hanover, to my understanding, can use Casey only for 3 innings. After throwing 7 on Tuesday, he would not be eligible to throw more than 3 again until after he had at least 4 days of rest. Since Tuesday, he's had only 3 days of rest. He threw one inning today, and while that leaves him eligible to do SOME pitching Sunday, it cannot be pretended that today was his 4th rest day, because he didn't rest today.

I think this one could well get sloppy, as each team struggles to find 21 outs worth of pitching. Hanover gets a 9 out head start, maybe, but that leaves it 12 outs short, and that could be enough for Great Bridge to overcome any deficits.

I tend to agree with MidloDad's reading, but I'm not entirely certain. I rarely---if ever---bring this up on the board, but I think it's worth noting here that two attorneys are reading and re-reading the new VHSL rules and still aren't 100% sure about what the rule says for someone who fits Casey's fact pattern.

I have heard from a Hanover player that they think Casey can go six. But, unless I heard that from a coach, I would take that with a grain of salt.

If I were Hanover, and I were told he could go six, I might literally ask for something in writing from the VHSL before the game, since the penalty for breaking the rule is a forfeit.

Anyway, it's unfortunate that most of the talk 14 hours before the state final is related to a rule.

My interpretation - this and $1.89 will get you a small starbuck - the rule is based on 7 day periods, even if they overlap. 4+ on Tue, he is unavail Wed & Thu, then has 2, 3 & up to his 14 inning max. So he thorws 1 on Sat - following the one day rule, he does not have to rest Sun and should have 14-1- how ever many he pitched Tue left for today. So if he pitched 7 on Tue, he should have 6 left to go today. I am sure Coach Draggum or Mr Stratton can get a ruling from the tournament director or VHSL itself.

VHSL should be able to rule well before game time. Whether or not it is announced or made public, we probably won't know until game time. Just prior to the dominion district tournament, given the weather and rain potential, the question came up relative to rain - game resume / restart - how would the pitching rule apply. The tournament director was able to get an interpretation from VHSL within an hour or so.

- not on point with this thread, but offered to end the question raised in this response - as it relates to pitching - if game starts, whether or not it gets called and needs to be restarted the next day, or if the game is suspended - the pitching rules still apply. So if someone starts on day 1, if the game is wiped out and restarted the next day, or if it resumes - the rule interprets - the innings thrown count on the day 1, so if someone pitched 4 and the game was wiped out or resumed the following day, your pitcher who threw 4 is unavailable to complete it.

I agree on both counts.

I'm sure there will be chatter when I get to the field today about whether it's six or three, but I won't feel sure until I see whoever is on the mound to start the fourth for the Hawks.

I spoke to VHSL Co-Director of Athletics Tom Dolan on the phone this morning and he indicated Hanover pitcher Derek Casey can pitch six today if he threw seven on Tuesday and one inning yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT