ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Droughts

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Inspired by a sports radio show I was listening to the other day on NFL playoff droughts.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 5 teams.

These teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!

2009 for Osbourn Park
2011 for McLean
2013 for Thomas Jefferson (Alexandria)
2014 for Potomac
2015 for Annandale

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?

8 straight losses for Herndon whose last win was in 1985! Nearly 40 years ago!
7 straight losses for Gar-Field and George Marshall who last tasted victory in 2007.
7 straight losses for Thomas Edison going back to 2008.
6 straight losses for Meadowbrook whose last win was in 2008.
6 straight losses for Wakefield going back to 2014.
6 straight losses for Cosby whose last win in the playoffs was 2015.

See any of these teams snapping these streaks in 2023?

Reactions: otnorot
I don't have a clue about most of this list. Cosby is a longshot and Meadowbrook has no chance.

I'd say that Potomac has the best chance of breaking through since they have had decent records in recent years. OTOH Region 6B adding three teams is going to make it tougher. I think both Potomac and Annandale would have qualified in Spring 2021 if it had been a normal amount of teams per region that year.

TJ out of contention as long as they are not playing a district schedule.

Agree with otnorot. The only team with a chance of making the playoffs is Potomac unless something drastic changes (very unlikely, IMO). The teams you list perennially struggle to win even one or two games; Annandale sometimes nears .500 but that is also hard for them most seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT