ADVERTISEMENT

Possible New Catholic Football Conference

Dec 14, 2015
Been hearing rumors for the past week in Northern VA that the Catholic Schools maybe putting together a new Catholic Football Conference, not sure what the name is though. It appears that Benedictine, Bishop O'Connell, Bishop Ireton, Paul VI, St. John Paul the Great and Bishop Sullivan will make up the five team conference (Five D-1's and One D-2). The individuals that I spoke with did not elaborate on whether it would be starting up in the 2016 or 2017 football year but one of my concerns is how would this affect Bishop O'Connell who is currently in the Washington Catholic Conference and Bishop Sullivan who is currently in the TCIS?

It has been in the works for a while from what I have heard. Bishop Sullivan will be looking for a new conference if and when they announce Ocean Lakes Coach Scott as their new head coach.

Rocket, I have spoken to several alumni and individuals within the school and Chris Scott is not coming to BSCHS to coach football anytime soon. My real concern from the previous comment about the TCIS and BSCHS is that I am hearing the football side of the TCIS is going to dissolve and that may leave several teams without a conference. I was told that Norfolk Christian probably won't have a team next year and HRA and NSA is on the fence about fielding a team as well. That just leaves Norfolk Academy and Greenbrier Christian and now I heard they don't want to play BSCHS anymore because they keep losing to us. My how short memories these folks have when about 10 years ago BSCHS couldn't beat HRA, NC, NA or GCA.....It took us a long time to build (not recruit) a program with head coaches at the helm such as Rick Cox and Carl Tuner. Now they want to take their ball and go home, amazing. I know nobody is asking me but I would recommend instead of traveling to Central or Northern Virginia eight times a year that BSCHS integrates with the VHSL (like LCA did) and play some Division 2A or 3A public schools. I guess either way it is time for a change.

NSA is on the fence about fielding a team???? I can understand HRA because they have had low numbers for years now, but football at NSA is a tradition and let's not forget they just won the state championship. I just don't think I believe that.

Numbers will be down in many schools next year. NSA had a large group of seniors leave from a roster of almost 40, HRA struggles every year to field a team that lasts a full season, GCA had about a dozen seniors graduate from a roster of 25, and Norfolk Academy had a down year in number and talent level. If there is a chance of any of those teams not fielding a team next year, HRA would be the only one I see falling into that catagory. As far as TCIS teams not wanting to pay Bishop Sullivan, maybe the AD's have some inside information about BSCHS that the public has not been made aware of about their future plans.

Let me assure you from someone who's been "on the inside" of the TCIS football scene: Football is alive and well in the TCIS! Norfolk Christian is ready to move back into the fray with a varsity squad next year. NSA is totally committed to football and Coach Bryce at HRA is fired up about building his program. As far as Sullivan is concerned, they are a member school and everybody in the TCIS will have them on their schedule for the next 2-year cycle.

Ole ball coach, from what I have heard, the schools/conference met last month about this situation, and it was decided that the football part of the conference was dissolving effective next season. TCIS schools with ball teams would be playing as independants, kind of like METRO conference does.

Ole ball coach and armyof11, I have been on the fringe and the inside of TCIS football for over 10 years. Ole ball coach I have been coaching against you since you came to NSA. It has been a pleasure and a lot of fun and I pray that the rumors are wrong about NSA and based on what you stated above I am hoping you are correct. I have been coaching football through at BSC through three AD's and four Head Coaches and this was my last year at BSC due to all the BS that had been going on with the current and previous AD's. But now I can finally speak freely without the fear of retaliation. I am hearing the same thing that the football part of the TCIS is dissolving next year.

Beings you are speaking freely without fear of retaliation, who is coaching the team next year. I heard talk mid season from those assocuated with the scho that there was going to be a change at the top. Administration was not happy with the results on the field with all the talent they had brought in over the last 2 years.

Right now as far as I know Pat Cavallario is still coming back as the Head Coach next season and it will be his third season as the Head Coach. As for bringing over talent, that has never occurred until this past season when the new AD took over. In previous seasons (3-5 years ago) we have had several players from public schools come over for their own reasons (get out of the public school environment, didn't think the public school coaches were giving them a shot, wanted to play on a smaller team, better academics, etc.) . So three years ago when we won a State Championship it's amazing how your program will grow and you will get parents and kids, from everywhere, that want to become a part of the perceived success. Even during our State Championship season we only had two guys that ever played public school ball, Blake Larussa and Jamil Kamara. The rest of the receiving, rushing and tackling was done by kids that have been part of Catholic for years. My point is it takes a team to win not just a bunch of individuals. So 2 years ago is when we received the influx of Norfolk Christian players when NCS had some issues with their program and half of them went to BCS and the other half to GCA. These kids were just great kids and very coachable and the remainder will graduate this year. But this past season was the first year that outside financial influences and the AD decided upon themselves that they were going to recruit football players and bring them to the school. All I can say about that is that it resulted in a catastrophic season. The head coach had nothing to do with it and his hands were tied with what talent he received.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT