ADVERTISEMENT

Radford

HokieTDTech

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 26, 2012
Can anybody beat them ? There stats are eye popping . Eveybody knows the points they have put up . Is it there state to lose ? Can they be beat we'll see ?

I think any time you get to this stage with high school kids that anything can happen. I do think they are the favorites this year but I know GW also has talent and will make them earn it in the semis. Waiting for them there could very well be the 3 time defending state champions Altavista. Yes I know the players are different this year than in the past but the pedigree and the winning culture remains. I think it will be a great final four and whatever team wins it all will have deserved it. Good luck to all four teams. I don't have a dog in the race sorta speak but since they are from my region I'll pull for Lancaster

Reactions: HokieTDTech
I know anything can happen any game but I really think it will be Atown vs Radford State game !

I agree with you also. Radford was the team I picked to win it all at the beginning of the season anyways but I definitely think they will have to earn it

I hope your right Bravesfan !! 4 in a row has never been done . A lot of basketball left to be played !

How exactly did Altavista stop Tanner? No don't assume that is how you stop Blake. Radford has real good guard play. If someone beats Radford it will have to be a low scoring game. No way someone will put up 70 on that defense. Radford beat GW despite some fouls issues. Radford's coach also knows a lot about GW coach and style. Radford has better senior leadership than 2014.

When is the semi game? I'm a bit out of the loop on basketball, but love seeing these local teams do well!

Altavista beat radford In 2014 .Altavista has beat the two best radford teams has ever have in my opinion 2004 & 2014 . The 2004 radford team would have smoked this year radford team . Darius Nichols & dobbins where D1 athletes .But I have herd this could be the best radford team ever but i still say 2004 team was really good . Atown is worried about Lancaster right now that's all there concentrating on , Lancaster will be a tuff out . I'm sure if Atown get a chance to play radford sat it will be one heck of a game !!

Last edited:
How exactly did Altavista stop Tanner? No don't assume that is how you stop Blake. Radford has real good guard play. If someone beats Radford it will have to be a low scoring game. No way someone will put up 70 on that defense. Radford beat GW despite some fouls issues. Radford's coach also knows a lot about GW coach and style. Radford has better senior leadership than 2014.

I wouldn't say they completely stopped him. He still finished with 20+ points but he definitely earned everyone of them. They pretty much from my opinion played pack line defense. They put pressure on the ball and packed they paint. He was going up with at least 2 sometimes three people on him at all times. I also felt like he was completely gassed coming out after halftime. I think Altavista won the game on the offensive end. They were so efficient it wasn't funny. They brought tanner out top and drove the lane. It was well executed.

Hoanker was One dimensional if tanner couldn't score they where in trouble . Hoanker guards we're not good enough to beat Atown . Dews & Mateo is one heck of a back court . They can drive or pull up from 3,there best players galliard & McClure didn't play that much because of foul trouble them two down low is a night mare for anybody .

Honaker was a one man team. Radford is a 5 man team.

If Radford and AltaVista meet in final,(which I think they will), it will be anyone's game. I recall RE Lee and Martinsville meeting a few years back, when Lee had an 85 game win streak (or something close). Martinsville pulled the upset when everyone had given title to Lee . Radford is best team I have seen in 1A this year, but AltaVista can slow it down and give them a game

Yea I truly believe Radford is the best team but we'll see . Any team can get beat any giving night .

When is the semi game? I'm a bit out of the loop on basketball, but love seeing these local teams do well!

Radford/GW has a scheduled 11:45 am tipoff tomorrow morning. Altavista/Lancaster has a scheduled 3:45 pm tipoff.

Why do they play the 1A stuff mixed up like that? Girls semi followed by boys semi followed by girls semi followed by boys semi? At least the two 2A girls semis are back to back.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
I hate how vhsl does it . This is the biggest day for these teams & parents . And they play a game at 10 am in the morning on the school week that's absurd . They really need to start splitting these things up like football . Where you can have fan support and kids don't have to miss school . They got to do better .

VHSL has no idea how to run a basketball tournament. They plug in girls's games in certain spots to try to force fans into the Seigel Center Dump. No games should be played during the day on workdays. VHSL complains about losing money. Well when you play at 1045 or whatever on a weekday, fans cannot get off work to drive to Richmond. Play the games at night and on weekends. They jam entirely too many games into the Seigel Dump.

They lose a lot of fans by having it at Seigel Dump. I have not been to Richmond for basketball since 2006. Seigel Dump has kept me away for 9 years, soon to be 10. I am not a UVA fan, but even a dumb person should know that tournament belongs in JPJ's building.

JPJ is 10k+ a day for rental. Uva has nothing to do with it. They technically lease the facility from another company to use it for their mens and women's games. It would cost a fortune. Admission would have to go to $30+ a person for that venue.

Altavista beat radford In 2014 .Altavista has beat the two best radford teams has ever have in my opinion 2004 & 2014 . The 2004 radford team would have smoked this year radford team . Darius Nichols & dobbins where D1 athletes .But I have herd this could be the best radford team ever but i still say 2004 team was really good . Atown is worried about Lancaster right now that's all there concentrating on , Lancaster will be a tuff out . I'm sure if Atown get a chance to play radford sat it will be one heck of a game !!
So they were better than the 3 state title teams? 2009 team started 5 Senior(s) Dontae Carter and Jerome Alexander (which lead the 2011 team) were bench players. Darris Nichols did have success at D1 but Dobbins went to Augusta St. D2 and didn't finish. This is the best defense team Radford has had. The 2009 team and the 2002 (which included Darris Nichols D1 brother Shane) are Radford's best teams.

When JPJ building was being planned, the VHSL, UVA and the management company should have gotten together to work out a deal for VHSL tournament. UVA should not be held captive on their own campus. If they are not smart enough to work out a deal for a high school basketball tournament, they should tear the place down.

I wouldn't imagine it would it cost more than heaving football there for the 5a & 6a states there . JpJ & liberty best to spots to have it

In my opinion, I think that the VHSL needs to just purchase some land in the middle of the state and build a sports complex to house all the state championships. I would imagine it would pay for itself since they are paying to rent out all of these other facilities each year.

Reactions: one man
In my opinion, I think that the VHSL needs to just purchase some land in the middle of the state and build a sports complex to house all the state championships. I would imagine it would pay for itself since they are paying to rent out all of these other facilities each year.

Brilliant!!!!

I had a discussion with a coach about this in December. If they built it in say Richmond, they could rent the facilities out year round to different organizations, host AAU and other travel team tournaments. Surely it would cost a pretty penny to build but I'm with you in thinking it would pay for itself rather quickly.

Is the Salem Civic Center a viable option for 1A and 2A? I've never even been in it so I don't know about seating, etc.. but I think it would be cool to have all the 1A/2A stuff in Salem and the Roanoke Valley. 3A/4A could be in Lynchburg still.

Is the Salem Civic Center a viable option for 1A and 2A? I've never even been in it so I don't know about seating, etc.. but I think it would be cool to have all the 1A/2A stuff in Salem and the Roanoke Valley. 3A/4A could be in Lynchburg still.

Oh, Salem Civic Center has plenty of seats, they're just not very comfortable. Unless they've replaced them in the last five years or so. Lol.

Very much so. Seating capacity for basketball is probably about 6,000. Wikipedia says 6,820, but I don't know if that's basketball or concert seating. Either way, more than adequate. Scheduling would probably be the biggest challenge.

Back in the blessed good ol' days of only three classifications, the AA and A girls' state tournaments were held concurrently at the SCC for many years. As far as I know, those events went pretty smoothly.

Like many others, I think insisting on shoehorning twelve tournaments into one venue over six days is a huge mistake, and a serious disservice to the teams and fans involved. Splitting it among at least three venues seems to me the obvious way to go. But, a lot of people have been saying this for years now, and I'm afraid no one is listening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT