ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment for 2014 season???

Aug 22, 2012
Does anyone know if the VISAA is doing a realignment of divisions this year? I know it happens every few years, but was wondering if anyone has the inside scoop? Would love to see the 3 divisions again like the good old days, but I'm sure that is not going to happen.

Does this mean that North Cross (90) has chosen to play up since IWA (92) is listed in D-IV? Time for IWA to stop BS-H streak. Those enrollment numbers based on Grades 9-12? As of what date?

North Cross always plays up and always competes at a playoff level. And yes breakdown of divisions is based on number of boys enrolled in grades 9-12. I believe the count is redone every two years, so the number of boys enrolled in the specific school last year determines the next two years divisions. D4 should basically be a VCC playoff between BSH, Fuqua, IWA, and whoever steps up to fill that last spot. Fuqua would be my bet if all their talent returns, but IWA may have a few more transfers hidden up their sleeves to take them to the top. Will be an interesting season in D4

Good to see IWA back with its VCC brothers...lots of great history there. Interesting there are 4 Divisions, there were only 3 back when I was playing.

And I see some recruiting accusations @ IWA, that is interesting too. Times have changed.

Fishburne only scheduled 1 team in their division

So I am sure they will catch a lot of criticism from some of the folks on here again this year... especially if they are able to put together a solid team again... oh well, makes for good discussions lol

Re: Fishburne only scheduled 1 team in their division

well, 2 on their schedule are conference opponents so it will not affect anything. The others will certainly affect their power points, at least by the way I understand the point system. No added points are given for different classifications if they are a conference opponent, only non-conference teams.

I'm sure Fishburne did not know they would be moved to D-II when they scheduled these games-- most of them are probably honoring home-and-home obligations begun last year when they were still in D-III. Also, they (and Quantico) have left the Patriot Football Conference, so everyone's a non-conference opponent for Fishburne.

I did not realize they were no longer in the Patriot football conference. I know the reclassification makes it complicated. CCS had the same issue, just in reverse. I know when I talked to Coach earlier in the year they were still debating about going back to 3 divisions so he wasn't sure if CCS would drop down.

I hope I had the points correct Metro, since CCS is in the ODFC and they have both DII and DIII schools, I don't think they get bonus points because they are in conference right? The ODFC is trending back to a DIII conference mostly

Sort of. The ODFC picked up Hargrave this year, adding a D-II member to the list.

Losing to a higher-division conference opponent cannot give you schedule points (i.e. losing to a D-II team gives you 5 points automatically). Those points were added to the system to reward teams for choosing to schedule higher-division opponents; obviously conference opponents wouldn't count.

However, a team can still get bonus points (up to 4) from losing to a higher-division conference opponent at the end of the season. This is only if that higher-division team finishes with 7 wins or more.

So if Potomac (D-II) loses to Flint Hill (D-I) (both in the Mid-Atlantic Conference), Potomac would not get schedule points, but if Flint Hill finishes with 7, 8, 9, or 10 wins, then Potomac would get 1, 2, 3, or 4 points added to their total at the end of the season.

Schedule points are kind of new (two or three years they've been there now). Bonus points (the ones not added till the end of the season) have been part of the system almost forever (state playoffs began in 1993).

Thanks for the explanation Metro. That helps. I also did not realize ODFC picked up Hargrave. They might have the largest football conference now. 7 teams total.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT