ADVERTISEMENT

Roanoke Catholic dominance.....

Aug 12, 2015
In the last 2 seasons, RC has posted a combined record of 18-1 and outscored their opponents 873 to 210 and should be on their way to a 2nd consecutive state championship without much resistance.

North Cross calls RC "Division 6." They should probably stop doing that for a little while now.
That's funny, considering that NC played in the same division that RC plays in now just two years ago, and were unable to come away with a state championship. At this point, it seems like NC & RC are pretty even across all sports. The games for the last few years have been tight and the bad blood between the schools keeps the games interesting. I think we can look forward to a couple more years of good, old fashioned, high school rivalry games.

In the last 2 seasons, RC has posted a combined record of 18-1 and outscored their opponents 873 to 210 and should be on their way to a 2nd consecutive state championship without much resistance.
Also, as dominating as Catholic has been over the last two seasons, I wouldn't say there's not "much resistance" on their way to a second consecutive state championship.

While I was unable to make it to the RC vs. Fuqua game, I saw the box score. After two convincing wins over them last year, RC definitely had some trouble with Fuqua this year. It appears that this will be the DIII state championship, and looking back on last season, Fuqua came out in the playoffs looking much better than they did during the regular season. After turning a 54-11 regular season game into a 52-30 playoff game, you got to believe Fuqua is going to come out swinging with everything they've got come playoff time this year. The same thing happened during the 2014 season, when RC demolished Fuqua during the regular season and then found themselves trailing in the state championship on Fuqua's home field with under a minute to play. All I'm saying is, RC has beaten Fuqua SIX times in a row over the last three years, and I can't imagine Fuqua's players, coaches, or fans are too thrilled about that. I'm expecting another thriller in the DIII state championship game this year, similar to that of 2014's championship game, that came down to the last second.

Ggcoastal, North Cross hasn't played in the same division that Roanoke Catholic plays in for many many years. If you are referring to North Cross not winning the D3 title, you are comparing apples to oranges. When North Cross was in D3, there were 4 divisions, not 3 divisions like we have now. North Cross has always played up a division with the more competitive schools. North Cross numbers in the past put them in D4, but they chose to play in d3, just like now they chose to move up and play d2 even though their numbers would allow them to compete in d3. Roanoke has always played in the smallest division, so a d3 title now is basically the same as the d4 title 2 years ago.

The game Saturday was definitely interesting. It was a pretty big crowd, too, as far as private schools go. I'd say there were well over a thousand people there.

To both teams' credit, as much bad blood is out there, the game was played pretty clean. There were lots of injuries, but none of it looked dirty to me. The biggest problem was the officiating. It was bad enough that both teams could think it was rigged against them.

RC has a good team this year, for sure. Last year they were really flashy, but this year they are more ball control. Lots of 10+ play drives and an absolutely punishing running game. The team only has four seniors, so I think there's an expectation to be pretty strong again next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT