ADVERTISEMENT

South County (9-0) @ Lake Braddock (9-0)

GurskyT

VaPreps All Region
Aug 11, 2005
Not very often do you get a showdown of 9-0 teams at the end of the regular season. Biggest match-up in the state this week. I would like to think this is going to be a great game with a great atmosphere. Any thoughts?

I think South County takes the next step in their "legitimization tour." They have been on the cusp for several years now and this is the time to take that next step and beat a rival to claim a conference crown and the #1 seed for the playoffs. SC can score points in bunches and has a decent defense, and although I think Lake Braddock will get their points, I think SC comes out on top in a fairly high scoring affair, at least in the upper 30's.

On paper, I would say they are the two favorites to make it to the NR final. However, Westfield could have something to say about that.

I have not seen LB at all this year but I do think the fact that they have added more of a running game than in the past will only help them. On the flip side, I am not so sure about their defense being as good as what it was hyped to be in the preseason, from what I have heard, despite the low overall PA average. Other than the Centreville game, when CV was really struggling and turned the ball over quite a few times and only scored one TD, the teams they have shut out are either pedestrian, or really, really bad.

The SC-WF game was early in the year and the suspensions did affect WF, yet they only lost by 7 (and one of the SC TDs was a very,very badly blown coverage). I know WF would love to get another opportunity. WF has not been able to establish a strong run game all year, but they do get production in spurts and they do have the ability to hurt teams with the pass. And then there is the WF defense. SC has not played a defense remotely close to the WF defense, so if a few simple things from the first game go one way or another it could easily result in a different outcome should the two meet again. But that cannot happen until the 3rd or 4th round (SC-WF) and both have to get that far first.

Edit: One caveat. What I said above is based on what I have heard so far. Friday's SC at LB game will tell a lot, and might change my opinion if one team gets the better of the other by a significant margin. Either way it goes this LB-SC game is one of the better ones this season.

Last edited:
They could face each other in final if they are the 1 and 2 seed.

Or even if they are the 1 and 3 seed if the loser here could win at Westfield (note: I don't know if the loser here drops behind Westfield or not)

Rod, I have run some numbers and Westfield cannot overtake either Lake Braddock or South County.

Same conclusion here. The loser of this game will most likely face #3 Westfield in the semi-final. Making the #1 slot an easier path and much more coveted prize.

Same conclusion here. The loser of this game will most likely face #3 Westfield in the semi-final. Making the #1 slot an easier path and much more coveted prize.
R7ebBAY.gif

South County has a 34.77778 rating, Lake Braddock 33.88889. That’s -0.88889 difference. Is it a certainty that a win can actually put LB in front of SC?

SC currently has an 8 point lead over LB. A LB win would net them +20 (12 class/8 rider) more points than SC would get out of the confrontation. Leaving LB with a 12 point lead, an insurmountable lead with the common opponents.

SC currently has an 8 point lead over LB. A LB win would net them +20 (12 class/8 rider) more points than SC would get out of the confrontation. Leaving LB with a 12 point lead, an insurmountable lead with the common opponents.

South County in OT
Hard to think of anyone beating either team, except each other in the region.

Rod if you were at this one I'd have to ask how it compared to the Oscar Smith comeback game against Indian River earlier in the season?

Rod if you were at this one I'd have to ask how it compared to the Oscar Smith comeback game against Indian River earlier in the season?

Not as miraculous or shocking as the Oscar Smith comeback but just as well-earned, for sure

Behind 27-7 against #1 Northern Virginia team at halftime to win 33-30 in OT, this has to be the most miraculous or most shocking comeback.

Last edited:
Behind 27-7 against #1 Northern Virginia team at halftime to win 33-30 in OT, this has to be the most miraculous or most shocking.

I suppose that any other person who was at both games can weigh in with their opinion

Behind 27-7 against #1 Northern Virginia team at halftime to win 33-30 in OT, this has to be the most miraculous or most shocking comeback.
Once you get to OT, it's anyone's ball game. While im totally sure the comeback to get to OT was bananas, to be down 14-2 with 3:30 left in the entire game and 1 timeout and win that way (PR TD w/a minute left) is a feat that doesnt happen too often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT