ADVERTISEMENT

Taunting ???????

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
why is "taunting" allowed in basketball and not football. Just about every game, there are players who after a dunk or 3 pointer, start yelling and making a complete _______ of themself. it appears to me that a "T" should be called in 99% of these instances. comments ???????

It's pretty simple to me. Basketball and baseball are not "contact" sports by nature, therefore (some) taunting goes unpunished, or better yet...expected to a degree. Due to the "controled violence" that football operates under, I think the rules in place are necessary for the good order of the game of football. Just my thoughts...
This post was edited on 3/8 9:37 PM by CrossHairs

I think it's more noticable in basketball than football, in most instances. when a players "dunks on a defender" and then screams in his face, or at opposing team, that is taunting and should result in a "T". same when a player makes a 3 pointer, and screams at defender,or opponent, it should be a "T".

I saw a photo of a player "hanging on rim" after a dunk, screaming. that should have been 2 Ts, yet none were called
This post was edited on 3/9 7:16 PM by Hampton Roads 6

I got to see a lot of Basketball this year, and one thing really caught my attention as far as players getting "T'd up". One of the big "statement moves" after dunking is the slapping of the backboard after the dunk on the way down (a la Lebron James). That move received a T every single time I saw it! As a football guy, it absolutely drives me insane to see kids get an unsportsman like conduct, or taunting penalty just for getting juiced up about a play (on the football field). Please, dont all the Refs come out and hate on me at once, but I'm sure most of you know a guy that works with you, or is on another crew that cant wait to flag a kid for having fun...or the big one nowadays, not handing the football back (please!). Ooops...I almost went there.

OK, so you saw a "photo"

and you know all this information from one still shot? BTW, why do you think there should have been 2 T's?
This post was edited on 3/11 8:48 AM by gymrat10

I don't think I've flagged a single act of taunting in 5 years. Seen one that I remember, and it was warranted. Actually it was more a threat than a taunt.

White hat, thanks for the feedback. I saw a kid get a taunting penalty this past football season when he caught a slant pass for a touchdown...(was wide open) and held the ball behind him as he was scoring his (first) HS touchdown. I've posted the link below. It is an almost 3 minute youtube video. The "infraction" is at the 52 second mark of the video. If you have time, let me know what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15YW3j5v-4

Hey HR6, did you...

...happen to see the PH-Roanoke vs Petersburg game? What say you now about T's not being called?

You gave an interesting description...

He didn't hold the ball behind him as he was scoring. He held the ball out in the face of the trailing defender as he entered the end zone. He might as well have just flagged himself. That's going to be automatic, every time.

Re: You gave an interesting description...

I must admit, It looked a little different from up in the booth, but all the same he held the ball behind him and then in front. Just looked excited to me. Yes, I am a bit biased, but I totally didnt think it was taunting. Thanks for checking it out though. Did you catch the play our QB had to make from the 20 for a 2 point conversion? Was nice!

Absolutely. Probably the easiest call of the game. That was a nice run on the long try.

Actually, there were a number of nice plays...

Including the play where the receiver got called for taunting. The QB throws a real nice ball.

Re: Actually, there were a number of nice plays...

The QB is Breon Bailey, rising senior next year. The kid that got called for taunting is Mario Nixon 6-5" 215 Sophomore WR, and the big ole' running back is Kwonti Moore 6-3" 240 Sophomore RB/LB all. All should make some noise next year. We checked out your clinic at MBK a few weeks back. Was great!

Originally posted by CrossHairs:
I got to see a lot of Basketball this year, and one thing really caught my attention as far as players getting "T'd up". One of the big "statement moves" after dunking is the slapping of the backboard after the dunk on the way down (a la Lebron James). That move received a T every single time I saw it!

And well it should have.

The rules specifically address slapping the backboard. Unless it's a legit attempt at blocking a shot, it is against the rules and results in a technical foul.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:
I think it's more noticable in basketball than football, in most instances. when a players "dunks on a defender" and then screams in his face, or at opposing team, that is taunting and should result in a "T". same when a player makes a 3 pointer, and screams at defender,or opponent, it should be a "T".

I saw a photo of a player "hanging on rim" after a dunk, screaming. that should have been 2 Ts, yet none were called

This post was edited on 3/9 7:16 PM by Hampton Roads 6

Screaming in an opponent's face should always result in a flagrant technical foul.

Screaming because you made a great play should not result in a technical foul.

Hanging on the rim is not an automatically technical. There are things that have to be looked at. Was somone under him? Did he chin up? Did his momentum cause he to hang on the rim to prevent a fall? Again, it's not automatic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT