Staff
Jul 4, 2006

VISAA Ratings 13 October

1589138.jpg

1. Liberty Christian Tim Glass
2. Bishop O Connell Landan Word
3. Trinity Episcopal Blake Bowen

This post was edited on 10/14 5:12 AM by wgarlick

The Private Schools could see a changing of the guard in the State championship games this year. The latest VISAA ratings has 3 of the 4 State champions missing the playoffs if the season ended today. In addition, all three schools have won multiple titles.

Blessed Sacrament Huguenot has won five straight titles, Liberty Christian Academy has won three straight championships and Virginia Episcopal has won two straight titles. Division II hasn't had a repeat champion since 2007.

There are still three weeks left in the season and the current ratings do not include the bonus points for 7+ win teams.

Someone please explain to me how Trinity Episcopal is still ranked behind Bishop Sullivan AFTER Trinity destroyed Sullivan 2 weeks ago by 25. It wasn't by accident that happened, and it probably would happen again.

The division 1 rankings seem really out of whack. Norfolk Academy may be 5-2 but they play a bunch of teams who are in lower divisions. The same is true of John Paul the Great. The only decent, division 1 team on their schedule is Bishop Ireton. The fact that either team is ranked above LCA, St. Chris, Collegiate or FUMA is almost laughable.

There has to be a way to reward a team like LCA or FUMA who goes out and tries to play the best.

The polls for all divisions look a bit sketchy. I am checking maxpreps for win loss results. Started with Div4 was all good there Div3 has incorrect records for VES, should be 2-4 shows 2-3; and FCS should be 6-0 shows 5-0. I am going to see if any other results are wrong or missing. Not sure how they would get that wrong but maybe there is more.

FCS and VES were originally scheduled to have a BYE this past week and the game was added to the schedule late. The VISAA fixed the ratings to reflect that result. It didn't change anything; FCS is still in 1st and VES is still unranked. No one else's rating was affected by that game.

This isn't the BCS computer ratings we're dealing with here. Do people really still find this system confusing? So many people routinely predict the ratings week to week with perfect accuracy, I thought everyone pretty much knew the system.

In seven games, Bishop Sullivan has earned 62 rating points. In the same number of games, Trinity has only earned 49. When you earn more points in the same number of games than someone else, you are ranked ahead of that someone else. Bishop Sullivan has beaten STAB. By your logic, shouldn't Bishop Sullivan be the #1 team in the state?

You can't rate people based on one result. The ratings system looks at the whole season.

BSC biggest win this season: STAB (#1 in D-II)
BSC losses this season: Benedictine (#1 in D-I) and Trinity (#3 in D-II)
Trinity biggest win this season: Bishop Sullivan (#2 in D-II)
Trinity losses this season: Collegiate (unranked), Norfolk Academy (#3 in D-I), STAB (#1 in D-II)

Who's got the better resume?

A couple of comments:

*This year -unlike the past two years- VISAA is not rewarding teams for losing to a team in a different division.
So if you are in Div. III or Div. IV and lose to a Div. II team - in the past you would have received 5 points for the lose, if the
team was not in your conference - you don't get these points as in previous years.

*Keeping the same scenario as above - if the DII team wins 7 or more games the lower division teams will get
bonus points at the end of the year as follows:
7 wins = 1 point
8 wins = 2 points
9 wins = 3 points

*As it relates to the VES and FCS not having the proper wins, I can't speak to that. However, I will say this is the earliest I
have seen this poll come out, it generally isn't ready until Wednesday's. This weeks poll was published late yesterday,
maybe they didn't have all the info on wins and losses for each team. My last comment doesn't make sense, I'm just trying
to come up with a reasonable explanation for them not having it.

*As it relates to a team beating a team and being ranked lower, its all based upon points from wins and losses. Unlike
college there are no style points. So if you beat a team by 70 or by 1 the points for the win are the same. Please see the
following link:
http://www.visaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/VISAA_Points.pdf

*I have been following private school football for the last three years and have seen two different point systems, debates on
how many teams you should play in your own division, teams playing lower division schools for a good portion of
their schedule, debates on excessive travel for private school teams and a plethora of other debates and pontifications on
the point system.

An option - not suggesting this - is to do away with private vs. public. In many states all schools are under one governing body and you are placed in a class (A, AA, AAA, etc...) based upon the number of boys in your school. Taking this approach would cut down on the travel for privates as they would have more schools in a regional area to play against. But I'm quite sure this approach would cause a problem in the ranks. One that does come to mind is "recruiting". Much like it's an issue for many of you on this site, It's also an issue for those public schools in the aforementioned states. Many site the inability to compete against the private schools due to wealth of talent these schools have.
http://www.ohsaa.org/members/separationinformationOct2013.pdf So in the end much like the college playoff system, there is always going to be something wrong with whatever is done.

In summary, given the landscape of private school football, it is very difficult to come up with a system that would please everyone. I think the VISAA - considering the landscape - is doing the best they can to help make competition fair and equitable for all private schools. The bottom line is your team just has to take care of its own business by just winning week in and week out.

Well, if Blessed Sacrament had let Ethan Johnson and another one of their better seniors from last year reclassify after last years championship game, and be a senior again, like the favorite to win the D4 state championship, maybe we would have a 6th state title for the BSH Knights. Just sayin....

Need to go to a three division system with requirements to play a certain number of teams in your division. Go to a third round of playoffs with 6 teams. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 while top two seeds get bye. Or go to 8 teams with everyone playing three rounds. If you are not in the top 8, you are most likely not going to win the championship.

Or keep the four divisions and playoff structure but require teams to play a significant portion of their schedule in their own division or higher.

Or go with a coaches poll which is fraught with issues and is the reason there is a points system in the first place.

Or Just Win Baby!

Actually, I don't think BSH would get a 6th state title regardless this year. Also, if you want to talk about maybes, lets look at the film from last year where BSH clearly lost but the refs overturned a call. Watch the replay. There are always "maybes" in every situation! This whining needs to stop. The VCC approved it. Nothing was meant to be cheating or underhanded. There are 2 young boys involved that have been harassed by every school. They have been taunted and called racial slurs. That is sad. "Maybe" it wasn't on paper when it should have been but the boys are legal age to reclassify. Get over it! I will also venture to say that Fuqua "maybe" wouldn't win the state championship but would have beat BSH this year without our 2 players. Fuqua puts 11 players on the field every play just like every other team.
This post was edited on 10/15 9:44 AM by meridian3

The VCC approved it - The old VCC was bullied into voting to let them play. If all the other schools agreed with the vote they would have not voted to dissolve the conference and start a new conference with out Fuqua. I agree I don't think it was meant to be cheating or underhanded but the rules were not followed. If the school feels they haven't done anything wrong why did they edit 2 articles on their web site the first article the student was listed as a senior on the merit list and now his name is no longer there. The second article the word senior was removed. Why?

The VCC was bullied into making a decision?? Wow! You are giving Fuqua a lot of credit and power. The boys are of eligible age, the only people being bullied are two young students. Nice job stalking the website :) It is unbelievable to me that adults are acting this way. I honestly don't know all of the facts but from what I understand the boys decided to reclassify and it wasn't changed in the books. I think everyone realizes the mistake and Fuqua posted that it was mishandled. You agreed that it wasn't cheating or underhanded. It has been blown way up. It's basically PAPERWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that you are saying wasn't done in time! The important issue is that 2 great young men decided they wanted another year. That is a right and privilege to private schools. Again, get over it!

When you bring a lawyer to the vote and talk of a possible lawsuit if they are not allowed to play I'd call that bulling. Just because you go to a private school that doesn't give you the right to break the rules.

Section 5 - Senior Status Requirement. Attending academic classes while classified as a senior at any school marks the student's last year of eligibility for VISAA Events. A student who has been classified as a senior at any school, who then transfers to another school, is eligible for VISAA Events during that transfer year only. The student may not gain additional eligibility thereafter. Post-graduates are ineligible for VISAA Events

with only 3 weeks left before the playoffs, I wish we could find something more interesting to talk about than Fuqua's eligibility. It has taken over all the posts on this board.

How about a departure, who do you have making it in at this point?

DI - Benedictine, Bishop Ireton, I think LCA makes it in, they should win this week but have Benedictine after, I am undecided on the 4th team, St Chris/NA/St John Paul the great seem to be in a dead heat (I thought they were Pope John Paul the Great before)

DII - STAB, Bishop Sullivan are locks (two best in teams in DII no question), Trinity and Nansemond Suffolk

DIII - FCA, Atlantic Shores are locks, Christchurch and North Cross. I haven't seen GCA but based on common opponents and their remaining schedule I don't think they will make it. North Cross/Atlantic Shores this Friday I think will lock the seeds

DIV - don't really follow this division but I will take a guess, Fuqua, Isle of Wight, Roanoke Catholic and Broadwater. I like BSH but their remaining schedule is a tough one, last game against Trinity

Agree. Teams must be required to play a certain # of teams from their own division. I have seen FUMA and LCA this year. Benedictine, FUMA, WFS, LCA vs NA or JPG would be ugly and not fair to the boys on either squad. NA barely had enough kids to field a team vs St C. Trust me FUMA is good..real good. I think this will proven over the next couple of weeks. Unless of course they pull a "FUMA" and do something real dumb. Spy Report: Mid Term grades and injuries could sink the Cadets' Title hopes this year …Stay tuned. BI will stroll into the playoffs due to an easy D1 schedule, and they would be huge underdogs vs any of the big boys. They are the only "lock" to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT