ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 36 - Fairfax 0

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
What a difference a week makes. The Westfield defense was very much improved against Fairfax, both as a defensive unit as well as the total team defense. Special teams cleaned up the mistakes from last week. The WF run defense was absolutely suffocating, allowing less than 40 yards on the ground for the entire game and only giving up about 100 total yards (both are estimates). FFX tried to come out with a balanced offense, but after their first two drives netted only 7 total yards they went to a predominantly passing offense and gained very little every time they tried to run. Other than a single FFX 2nd quarter drive of 63 yards that reached the WF 10 (mostly passes and including a 29 yard completion on 4th and 10 from midfield) the drive ended on a missed 23 yd FG. FFX could not move the ball on the ground at all for the entire game.

Westfield opened the game with a 32 yard Scoville to Scanlon pass to go up 7-0. After a FFX 3 and out, Gray went 58 yards on the first play of the second series and it was 14-0 less than 6 minutes in. Gray went 54 yards two series later and it was 21-0 with 4 mins left in the half. With less than 2 minutes left in the half FFX punted from deep in their own half and WF returned the punt to the FFX 29, then WF moved down on a few short runs until Scoville hit Moore for a 4 yard TD pass and it was 28-0 at the half. The second half saw Gray rip off another 41 yard TD on WF's second possession to push the score to 36-0 (WF tried a two point conversion). At that point (mid-3rd quarter) the JVs took over on both teams and with a running clock the game was soon over.

This post was edited on 9/27 6:02 AM by falcettik

Westfield getting 2 points using strange formation

Originally posted by falcettik:
The second half saw Gray rip off another 41 yard TD on WF's second possession to push the score to 36-0 (WF tried a two point conversion).
Just watched the video of the game on GameDayMagazine.

After the 5th touchdown and setting up for the PAT attempt , Westfield linemen started to line up on left side away from the ball, with Evan Gray standing behind the linemen facing the center (or snapper). FG holder and kicker behind the center. Centreville did this last year and I was wondering why, and now Westfield is doing the same thing this year. Westfield did the same thing after the first four touchdowns only to have the linemen shift over to their regular spots on both sides of the ball for a regular FG attempt. However this time, the center flipped the ball to left to #28 Evan Gray who then paused a moment (and nearly got tacked behind the line of scrimmage) before running through for two points. This was the first time I saw this strange formation executed this way.

Any comment on this strange formation? Will we see more of this?

This post was edited on 9/27 3:30 PM by BlueFan

Re: Westfield getting 2 points using strange formation

I deliberately did not explain why-if the opposing coaches want to know what they tried, they'll have to resort to the films
smile.r191677.gif

It was something I had never seen Westfield try before. I have seen other teams do it (snap to the ball carrier, not the holder). I guess it is just one more way to add an option for the XP to your playbook. And the ball carrier was Monticue, #31, not Gray, if I remember correctly.
This post was edited on 9/28 11:17 AM by falcettik

Re: Westfield getting 2 points using strange formation

Originally posted by falcettik:

And the ball carrier was Monticue, #31, not Gray, if I remember correctly.
I just checked the GameDayMagazine video, and yes, you are correct that #31 Monticue was the ball carrier in the 2 point attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT