ADVERTISEMENT

Westfield 51 - Battlefield 0

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Note: I made some minor numerical errors in this post last night; those have since been corrected. My apologies for the confusion.

The Westfield defense played extremely well tonight, forcing 6 turnovers and downing Battlefield running backs numerous times behind the LOS (WF's Ahiakpo was in the BF backfield on probably half of BF's offensive plays, either downing the runner immediately, chasing him down from behind, or flushing the QB-he played a superb game). The offense was very efficient and with mostly short fields scored five of their six first half touchdowns on just 15 plays (the other TD was a pick 6).

Battlefield won the toss and elected to receive. Almost immediately, WF's Bendorf intercepted BF's Hazen on the WF 38 yard line and returned the ball to the BF 44. Three plays later Kim found Howard on an 11 yard passing TD and WF went up, 7-0 (Williams XP) with 8:07 remaining in the first quarter. BF started their next possession on their own 26 yard line, when WF's Wheatland intercepted Hazen at the WF 45 yard line and went all the way for a pick six and a 14-0 WF lead (Williams XP) with 5:28 remaining in the first quarter. BF started again on their own 28 yard line and got a first down, then fumbled and WF recovered (Lydic?) on the BF 40 yard line. On the first play from scrimmage, WF's Legall went 40 yards to extend the WF lead to 21-0 (Williams XP) with 4:42 to play in the first quarter. On BF's next possession, their best starting field position at their own 35 after the KO went out of bounds, WF's Ahiakpo hit Hazen as he released the ball and WF's Wheatland got his second INT, and WF's 3rd, of the game. WF then drive 40 yards in seven plays before WF's Richie ran it in from 18 yards out and the lead was now 28-0 (Williams XP) with 2:05 to play in the first quarter. BF's next possession ended when they failed to convert a 4th and 6 at the BF 48 yard line, giving WF the ball 48 yards from the goal line. WF ran two plays then Kim hit Richards over the middle for a 52 yard passing TD to extend the lead to 35-0 (Williams XP) with 10:30 remaining in the half. BF then took the KO and started at their own 32 yard line and after three plays was forced to punt, but the punter fielded the ball on one knee to give the ball back to WF on the BF 32 yard line. On the first play of this drive, Kim tossed the ball to WR Howard coming back across the flow of the play and Howard took the pitch 32 yards for another WF TD, 42-0 (Williams XP) with 8:06 remaining in the first half. WF would again intercept Hazen on the next BF possession, with Lee getting the INT on the WF 18 yard line and returning the ball to the WF 34. After a WF punt, a short BF possession ended the half.

WF received the ball to start the second half and was forced to punt, followed by a BF punt. WF's Daniel then took the handoff on the first play of WF's next possession, was hit twice at the line but did not go down, and pulled free for a 74 yard TD run to push the lead to 49-0 with 4:20 to play in the third quarter. On BF's next possession Hazen was intercepted for the 5th time, this time by WF's Reimonenq, at the BF 47 with the return going to the BF 34 yard line. At this point both teams put in their second strings to get them some reps and WF's drive was ended when they fumbled and BF's 52 or 88 recovered at the BF 48 yard line (I am not sure who recovered the fumble and I could not find a roster). On this drive BF faced their second 4th down of the evening, this time a 4th and 5 at the WF 47 but the run came up about a half yard short. WF took over and soon punted, pinning BF at their own 7 yard line. On the third BF play the snap went over the QB's head out of the endzone for a safety to close out the scoring at 51-0 with under three minutes to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: otnorot
Since there was no preview, I was surprised by the outcome of the game. The score was 42-0 at halftime. I was expecting Battlefield to play a strong game, so I was surprised by the halftime and final scores. Are they rebuilding or what?

Thanks for the fine article!

Last edited:
The bunch of football guys I social with at games were surprised by the outcome as well. WF's offensive performance in their first game was quite a bit better than any scrimmage action I saw (but that is not unusual for WF-they don't show much in scrimmages and openly experiment with players in positions). We also thought the defense would be quite good this year, and they confirmed that.

NOVA football has seen a marked decline in the past decade - OVERALL - but Battlefield seems to have been a victim of that a bit more so than most. You can argue any number of reasons for the overall decline, but it is obvious-across the state, IMO, not just NOVA. Remember also that BF has a new coach who was successful at his old D2 school; perhaps it is an adjustment period to a new coach or new scheme, or maybe their talent is just not what it was in the Nebrich glory days.

Too many new schools have diluted the talent pool. It's no different than major league sports when they keep adding teams and you end up with too many "triple A" players now on big league rosters, no matter the sport.

Plus, you have a lot of the public school kids hitting the private circuit. Once a the private decides to give out more tuition assistance, more public kids head that route. When you are solely focused on the public schools you tend to lose sight of all the private schools that have some damn good prospects who are from VA.

Battlefield has been on a steady decline for a few years, coupled now with a new HC. Both Patriot and Stonewall are going to be better than Battlefield this year, well, at least on paper. They both have a much deeper talent pool currently on their respective rosters.

The state of VA is still a consistent top 7-10 recruiting state for college football. Once you get past FL, TX, CA and GA, the next group of states are pretty comparable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT