ADVERTISEMENT

What should I expect from Bishop Sullivan this year?

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
I will get the opportunity to see the defending VISAA D2 state champions in a couple weeks, as I will be in that area. I know private schools don't have the pipeline that public schools have, but does anyone have any idea as to how good or bad they will be this year? Any key additions or returners?

I know they return Blake LaRussa, their QB from last year. I heard they did get some additions but I don't know who. Looks like they have a pretty tough schedule this year, will be interesting o see how they back up last years's state championship run. They could very well be in the mix again this year.

Top recruiting class of 757

They will be a good team, but definitely will fall short of last years 12-0 state championship team. Received several transfers from Norfolk Christian (Wahee, Hicks, Epps, D Townsend) and a big lineman from Princess Anne, in addition to a few others. Big size up front, and with the Norfolk Christian transfers they become extremely athletic. If not for the transfers, probably a .500 team. I look for them to be a solid 7-3 at best with their tough schedule.

As far as the recruiting of players by their A.D. , I cannot blame the players for transferring there. When a school tells an athlete that if he comes to Bishop Sullivan he will only have to pay $50 a month while other kids pay $13,000, it is a no brainer for the athlete and his family. If I was a parent of a talented athlete, and was offered the discounted tuition, I would jump on it as well, but if my student was gifted in the classroom and attended a school that dishes out tuition money only to talented athletes, not talented students, I may have an issue with it.

Re: Top recruiting class of 757

I agree. Sullivan will be a good team, but the only way to go from last years season is down. Cant top the perfect season. As far as the recruiting and allowing the top players to transfer into your school, go for it. Every private school out there tries to get the best athletes every year, even Isle of Wight is catching on this year. Sullivan is like the NY Yankees .... good free agents go where the top dollar is spent on them, and that happens to be Sullivan. In private school sports, cash is king!

Re: Top recruiting class of 757

I know that isn't true for all private schools. I don't know how many it does apply to and how many it does not, I can't quantify it but it isn't all of them.

Does this seem to be the prevailing way the ones in Tidewater are? There are still a few of the Tidewater schools that are not mentioned in these types of posts and some that are mentioned in every one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT