ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the early candidates for the H'burg and TA jobs?

Oct 7, 2008
Burgess who was forced out at BC is a likely candidate for either I'm sure. Brandon Shields from Central maybe for TA job? Other thoughts?

Burgess to Harrisonburg, Shields to TA (both graduates from those schools) would be the best candidates in my opinion.

Do either of them teach? Or are they employed elsewhere?

I haven't really heard any discussion about these two jobs yet other than H'burg had some very qualified candidates the last go round when Joyner was hired that they have reached out to check and see if they are interested again in the position.

Burgess may be interested in either or both of the positions but I don't believe he is certified to teach although there are always routes around that if he is not.

Shields teaches English I believe up at Central Woodstock. That can be a pretty good job there especially since they are coming back down to AA next year so he may not want to leave that one behind.

As always it will come down most likely to whether or not there are teaching openings for the candidates that want the job.

I guess time will tell. I think both of these jobs could potentially be good jobs. At TA, you could probably win next year right off the bat. HHS has a lot of young talent as well. Think it would be a great story line if two coaches from the area both come back to their respective schools!

Central hasn't been good for a while for whatever reason but you're right, you gotta be able to provide for your family and have a career. That goes for both of those job situations!

HHS is probably the more attractive job due to the amount of talent constantly coming through there. Gotta find the right person to harness that talent, though. Burgess growing up in the area that many of his players come from would likely be a good start.

The talent constantly coming through HHS has been not as high as in the late 90s and early 2000s. It has also been terribly undisciplined. I would imagine that is some of the factor in Joyner leaving. He had a family before he took the job didnt he?

HHS plays in 4A with a small percentage of that ADM number playing sports. Just look at the football program as well.

HHS is best job on paper and for an outsider from the area. TA has talent right now.

Neither has been a great job for a few years now.

HHS and TA are both a good fit for anyone that can adjust there style to the athletes that are in place already. You can't win if you never open the gym for the kids...HHS that is... However HHS has talent and has had talent in my opinion for quite some time. Just didn't have the right coach or coaches to get the job done bottom line. Should have won more games this year. But anyway Burgess will not be coaching at HHS. That job has been offered to someone else. Don never applied for that position from what I know.

This post was edited on 4/5 3:57 PM by Teamva

You're definitely right that the talent dropped off a good bit here and there, but it still remains the biggest talent pool in the area (IMO including Waynesboro and Lee). Had some of their best players not transferred or been locked up, I suspect that "talent deficiency" wouldn't be talked about as much. The discipline issue is huge, but the group coming up for the foreseeable are making a lot of strides. Tons of talent and they seem to be a more focused group. They're just so young.

But yes, HHS playing in 4A is tough considering the population of roughly 1,300 students only includes a small number that have any desire to play the big 3 sports (football, basketball, baseball). The school has changed so fast. Soccer will always be good, football will likely continue to regress. But basketball is an area where the school can excel at a high level with the right people running the program.

Agreed with this. They played 7 sophomores and 2 freshmen primarily on varsity this season. The talent was there, but they were so young. Lost a few games they definitely shouldn't have lost.

I'd love to know what your inside knowledge on the coaching situation is. I assumed Burgess would be the guy, but it sounds like he isn't and you perhaps know who the guy will be.

Burgess will make a run at the TA job. He lives in district and kids are in the system. Shields will be interested, but only with teaching position. I am guessing several others will apply including some locals looking to upgrade. Harrisonburg job I am assuming is wide open. The JV guy Hargrove has AAU experience (but that was shown down 42 to not be that great an asset). They ran Tysinger out, so that leaves no one in the teaching ranks to take over. Para-professionals don't work (exception being Walton but he learned how under good mentors).

Wouldn't Burgess also be a parapro? Or does he have a teaching certificate from many many years ago? Far as I know he has only coached in college ranks.

Shields is out at TA. Spoke with someone close to the source at Central and he didn't even apply or interview. Not sure what's up with that...would be the natural fit.

Shields is out at TA. Spoke with someone close to the source at Central and he didn't even apply or interview. Not sure what's up with that...would be the natural fit.
From what I hear, TA has their man picked-just trying to find a teaching spot. Don't know the name but I have been told top notch coach with college experience and has coached high school programs also.

Burgess wants the Harrisonburg job from what I have been told but I don't know what the holdup is. Seems like a perfect fit to me.

My guess is simply that he doesn't have a teaching certificate, so figuring out how coaching as a parapro would work may be a part of it. He would be an absolute home run at HHS.

My guess is simply that he doesn't have a teaching certificate, so figuring out how coaching as a parapro would work may be a part of it. He would be an absolute home run at HHS.

Don for sure would be best person for HHS. Not sure how TA could have their man when they still have interviews coming next week. I believe you may be referring to Weller?

Have not heard any specific names regarding the TA job. Just "water cooler" info. I have heard that the harrisonburg job is drawing a lot of interest though.

Have not heard any specific names regarding the TA job. Just "water cooler" info. I have heard that the harrisonburg job is drawing a lot of interest though.

That doesn't surprise me. The right person can take that program to pretty good things. Problem is, they haven't had the right person in a while. Don Burgess would be that guy if they can find a way to make it happen.

TA position was finalized a while back but took a while to work out all the details from what I was told. Should be approved at school board meeting Tuesday.

HHS job was offered to Burgess last I heard a couple weeks ago but I don't know if he accepted it or not.

Quite as kept...Don is waiting on paper work to be finalized. I was trying to hold out on this but just couldn't keep it in any longer. This should've been finalized a good while back. This just puts the players behind schedule. Could've been already getting prepared with his expectations and style of play. Far as I know they have not had any type of organized open gyms since seasons end. Don is the right fit. They will be a contender there's no doubt in my mind.

Completely agree that the process has taken too long at both HHS and TA. Both schools knew who they wanted to hire roughly a month ago and still the kids are losing valuable time because of paperwork and the process. I'm sure both coaches will be ready though to hit the ground running with summer plans. Good luck to both programs-2 quality hires that will deepen the coaching talent in the Valley District.

HHS is getting up there...close to being 5A I here. Haven't check on it myself. But they have got to get back to being a winner in football also. This will be Thurman last year at the helm. This guy is talking about cutting players down to 30 couple. What a joke...have never heard of that ever happening at HHS

HHS is getting up there...close to being 5A I here. Haven't check on it myself. But they have got to get back to being a winner in football also. This will be Thurman last year at the helm. This guy is talking about cutting players down to 30 couple. What a joke...have never heard of that ever happening at HHS

My guess is they will split into 2 high schools in the next decade. The growth is unsustainable in a school that size. It was built for 1,200 students and they're pushing 1,350 last I checked.

As for football. The bodies on the lines just aren't there anymore. They used to be the standard for solid play in the trenches in the Shenandoah Valley but those bodies aren't around anymore. The skill positions have been and always will be there, but the ones who open up and plug those holes are all moved outside the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT