ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Oakton struggling this season?

BlueFan

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2001
I haven't seen any of Oakton's games, so I have no idea why Oakton is struggling this season. Oakton is currently 0-5.

According to MaxPreps, Oakton is ranked # 298 among 362 teams in Virginia.

Oakton: PF 7, PA 248

2018 Game Results:
Aug 24 Battlefield 44, Oakton 0
Aug 31 West Springfield 37, Oakton 0
Sept 8 South Lakes 60, Oakton 0
Sept 21 Langley 42, Oakton 7

Upcoming Games:
Oct 5 @ Centreville (PF 221, PA 43)
Oct 12 @ Westfield (PF 187, PA 67)
Oct 19 Chantilly (PF 130, PA 150)
Oct 26 Madison (PF 201, PA 101)
Nov 2 @ Hayfield (PF 130, PA 100)

Oakton is facing Centreville and Westfield in the next two games. Oakton also will face Madison and Hayfield in the last two games.

The other boys' sports there have been very successful recently. Are they just not getting the better athletes out for football anymore?

This has been the subject of much discussion elsewhere. There seems to be a variety of factors involved. All speculation and I only repeat what is most often mentioned.

1. The school boundary lines were redrawn after 2009 resulting in some reliably good football neighborhoods being re-zoned to South Lakes. Note South Lakes football had a concurrent improvement in their football program.

2. A significant number of parents in the wealthier neighborhoods are keeping their kids out of football because of concussion/injury fears. There is apparently not the same concern about injuries in other sports – such as lacrosse. Oakton won the state championship in lacrosse last season.

3. Demographic shifts. A rise in number of minority students that historically tend not play football without aggressive recruiting or intervention.

4. Coaching staff burnout & departure. Head coach and majority of coaching staff left the school after the end of last season.

5. Because of the decline in the football programs and coaching staff change several of Oakton’s best players transferred to other schools (e.g. RB Jared Cole to Stone Bridge).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT