ADVERTISEMENT

1A-East Ratings

gladiators01

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 27, 2010
This is what I currently have. There are 2 makeup games on Monday (Goochland vs Prince Edward & Southampton vs Brunswick) that will change things up a little going into the final week. If Goochland wins Monday, Essex will take over the #1 seed by 1 point and according to my projections finish ahead of Riverheads by 1 or 2 points for the top spot.

1. Riverheads 26.22222
2. Essex 26.11111
3. Sussex 21.88889
4. William Campbell 21.44444
5. Franklin 21.22222
6. Rappahannock 20.66667
7. Lunenburg 20.44444
8. Luray 18.44444
9. Middlesex 17.22222
10. Altavista 17.11111
11. Lancaster 16.77778
12. Colonial Beach 15.37500

13. Mathews 14.11111
14. Northumberland 13.22222
15. Windsor 12.77778
16. Stonewall Jackson 12.55556
17. Charles City 12.33333
18. Northampton 11.66667
19. Surry 11.66667
20. West Point 8.66667
21. King & Queen 8.33333

Reactions: TheSel2
Those matchups would suck. Franklin has already played CB, Lunenberg has already played Vista, and Rapp has already played Lancaster.

Sounds like RHS needs to prepare to play from the #2 seed. And here I was searching for the King George score last night thinking that was the key to the points situation between us and Essex. Lol, easy come, easy go. Actually we have a potential upset with Stuart's Draft coming to the Hay Field this week.

Let's go ahead and give Goochland a win over PEC. so that puts Essex in front by 1 point. Essex plays a 30 point game vs. Rappahannock while Riverheads has a 30 point game vs. Stuarts Draft. In district games, Essex is guaranteed 4 points and Riverheads 6 points. So if both win that puts Riverheads up by a point. Riverheads has 2 more opponents who can give them points (Waynesboro is done) while Essex has 4 (Goochland is done after Monday night) with two playing one another So, it just might be thisclose and could well be a deadlock

Last edited:
Same for Essex, we need to worry about Rappahannock before worrying about seeds. They are a 7 win team looking to end a 18 game losing streak to Essex.

It sure is fun to "worry" about the different scenarios this time of year though. What would the tie break be on a deadlock in points? Seems almost impossible with all the variables.

This is from 2012, not sure if it has changed

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against public schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of 68-6-2.
(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only two teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other tied teams, that team shall advance.
(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents.
(d) The team with the highest winning percentage rating-scale-recognized opponents.
(e) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team’s opponents.
(f) The team with highest winning percentage against VHSL public school opponents.
(g) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team’s VHSL public school opponents.
(h) The regional chairman or his/her alternate if his/her school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative.

Tiebreaker would be (d) highest winning percentage (better record). So Riverheads would have it I assume.

I am not a number cruncher and don't get into all of that so if NNDMAN or anyone else can help it'd be appreciated. I know you said there were two more teams Riverheads could get points from. Those are I believe RE Lee and Covington. RE Lee plays Fort Defiance and are heavy favorites. Covington plays JR Buchanan and have to be considered underdogs. That'd put Riverheads up by 2 going on NNDMANs post. Essex it was said can still get points from four teams. King William is one of them and they play King and Queen and will be heavily favored so that would put Riverheads up by one. Another is Deep Run who plays Thomas Jefferson. Both are 2 win teams but I'd give an edge to Deep Run. If DR wins that'd leave both teams tied. Then it comes down to King George vs James Monroe. Essex has played both. Winning against KG and losing to JM. Would Essex need a KG win only or would they also pickup a point if JM wins since they also played them? That's where it gets confusing to me as I don't keep up with all the numbers and how it works so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Riverheads (currently 236)

30-win vs Stuarts Draft
6-Guaranteed

Possible
2-RE Lee win
2-Covington win

Max-276

Essex (currently 235)

30-win vs Rappahannock
5-Guaranteed (1 from King George vs James Monroe)

Possible
2-Goochland win (Monday)
2-King William win
2-Deep Run win
1-King George win

Max-277

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Now that is clear as mud, lol. I think it's awesome there is "juice" on so many games. Whole bunch of scoreboard watching Friday night again. I love this game.

Then it comes down to King George vs James Monroe. Essex has played both. Winning against KG and losing to JM. Would Essex need a KG win only or would they also pickup a point if JM wins since they also played them? That's where it gets confusing to me as I don't keep up with all the numbers and how it works so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance"

Essex would get 2 points for a King George win or 1 point for James Monroe win as they lost to James Monroe

Essex needs to take care of business and hope that Deep Run can beat TJ and that James River tops Covington

Thanks for the help guys. Goochland and KW are definitely favored and should win and with Essex getting at least one point from the KG/JM game it looks like it could come down to the Deep Run/TJ game. RE Lee will win their game but I don't see Covington beating James River. I think Essex will edge out Riverheads by a single point if things go like I think they will.

Very true. None of this matters if Essex or Riverheads don't win their games. Both are rivalry games and Stuarts Draft and Rappahannock aren't just going to roll over for either team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT