ADVERTISEMENT

2009 Predictions

rkesportsfan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2004
Now that everyone's teams are picked and every team has had some practices, who will be the teams to beat this year in your district? Any talented youngsters and/or transfers... how is everyone doing in their scrimmages... any injury issues... what's the scoop with your team?

Cave Spring and Hidden Valley should battle it out for the title in the RRD. Last years regular season champion, Salem, returns only 1 full time player. They are very young and inexpierenced. They are working very hard under a new coaching staff and will improve. Blacksburg looked very good near the end of last season and if they can carry that to this year may surprise CS or HV, butI beleive it will come down to those two again.
This post was edited on 8/19 12:12 PM by may22

Re: 2009 Predictions (RRD)

Thoughts on the River Ridge District:

HV - Has lots of returning offensive firepower but lost their best passers and their only true setter from last year's team. The Titans are still the preseason favorites to win RRD.

CS - Lost three 2008 starters to graduation and two 2009 starters to injuries. Had a deep bench last year and a very good JV team so they should reload but the Knights will have a lot of new faces. If they gel, should contend for RRD.

BB - Didn't lose much of anything from last year and also has some very talented youngsters so the Bruins should compete with HV and CS for district title.

CB - Could be the surprise of the RRD as they return some very good hitters and continue to improve. Likely not ready to contend for the RRD title yet but the Blue Demons could easily surprise some teams this season if anyone looks past them.

Salem - I agree with may22. They lost pretty much their entire team from last year so they will be rebuilding this season. They have a good returning middle and some raw young talent for their new coach to work with but it may be a few seasons before the Spartans contend in the RRD.

PC - Will likely struggle again this season in one of the toughest districts in the state. The Cougars always seem to have a few very good athletes but not enough overall fundamentals to put it all together.

Matches start in a couple weeks so we'll have a much better idea in the near future. Best of luck to everyone... here's to a fun and injury-free 2009 season for all.

In the Eastern Region - Nansemond River boys and girls are both looking good early in the season. Nansemond River boys have a lot of kids returning from a team that was ranked in the Hampton Roads top 10 most of last season.

I have witnessed HV play against PH this season. I can say with confidence that not only will HV not drop a match, I dont think they will drop a game in the regular season. Baring injuries HV is the favorite to win the State championship.

HV is one of the favorites to win the RRD and with their regular season schedule, I agree that they shouldn't lose more than a few games. That said, they are not as good as they were last year and will struggle if they ever have to play some of the better AA teams across the state this year (EC Glass, Loudoun County, Western Albemarle, etc.) who have a lot more size and speed than they do. It's a long season and HV will continue to improve so you never know. I guess we will all have to wait and see what happens later in the season when they start playing against these good teams.

Very good points, it in deed may hurt HV that they wont really be tested until they get out of the region. Its hard to prepair for better teams with the RRD being down this year. They have very good team chemistry and unselfish players. That will go along way in the playoffs. Should get very interesting later in the season. Its a long one and many things can happen.

Blacksburg is going to be better than what you guys think... Just watch...

Agreed. Per my earlier prediction, I think Blacksburg will be very good this year and contend in the RRD. I still think HV is the favorite to win the district but HV won't have any real tough non-district matches so you never know how they will respond when they get in a tough match later this season. If Cusimano gets healthy, I would not count BB out at all.

NRVCOACH;
I don't know what you are reading but everything I have seen on this topic puts BBURG 2 or 3rd. No one is slighting BBURG at all. I don't think they can take out HV, but if they play like they did, or better, at the end of last year, they certainly can make the regionals and make some noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT