Utility - Taylor Loudan, Sherando
DH - Sterling Jennings, Skyline

Notable omissions

Where is Jacob Jaye?
Nick Goode?
Bruce Keenan?

Really?!

Re: Notable omissions

Really I have no issues with the list. There could have been a couple of other names that we could add to the omission list, but at the same time I do not see anyone on the 1st or 2nd team list that we can say they didn't deserve to be on the list. But I'm confused about how a player can be named to a positional and utility spot? I understand being named as a pitcher and also field position. Is this correct?

Player of the year. If you look at the number how could you dispute? I think most people like myself thought it would come down to the SHS catcher or 2nd baseman. But like I said can't dispute against Reid.

Well, I have some issue with it, though I won't go on for weeks and weeks about it. I said earlier that SS would be hard to pick. I still think Rudolph should have been the utility pick, thus opening it up for shortstops that played that position every day. Guys like Jaye and Goode. It really is a joke that these two got left off. Other sports (softball and football) find ways to add more and more players. If football can have 10 defensive backs between first and second team, then baseball can add a few deserving kids like Jaye or Goode. Jaye should have been somewhere on the first team, utility or SS. Too bad they don't have a closer award, because Jaye would win that hands down.

And ... congrats to Entsminger. No doubt he has been a key part of Sherando's dominance in the NWD. You also would not be able to dispute what Smallwood has done. I think he had a lot of pressure on him to be able to come out and put up monster numbers and lead the pitching staff to THEIR greatness. Let's not lose sight of that.

Good luck to all players for Sherando next week.

21Base - I think the selection of Loudan as Utility and SS screwed things up. Still it doesn't seem correct to me. But yes with Jaye's ability to close games that would qualify him as utility. But like it was mentioned before sometimes the coaches do vote strangely.

I'm pretty sure the coaches have to nominate a kid for each position including utility... Might have been a case of Martin wanting Loudon to have a chance to be a first team selection so he may have nominated him for both hoping he would be a first teamer in one of the two...jaye may not have been nominated to utility position ... I believe both teams are pretty solid but also believe Goode and Jaye could have easily been on either team and probably should have been!

2012 All-NWD Team (* denotes players that were underclassmen last year.)

First Team

1B: Tyler Quinn Sherando
2B: Jacob Carney Sherando*
3B: Jordan Iden James Wood
SS: Tre Porter Sherando
C: Ethan Matthews Millbrook
P: Darrell Thompson Sherando
P: Chaz Rutherford Skyline*
OF: Taylor Loudan Sherando*
OF: Matt Fazenbaker Millbrook
OF: Kyle Hevner James Wood
DH: AJ Eubank James Wood
UT: Jacob Rudolph Handley*

Second Team

1B: Jacob Funkhouser Handley*
1B: Dakota Orndorff James Wood*
2B: Bruce Keenan Millbrook*
3B: Lane Spinks Millbrook
SS: Jacob Jaye MIllbrook*
C: Chase Smallwood Sherando*
P: Lane Spinks Millbrook
P: Tre Porter Sherando
OF: Brian Thomas Handley*
OF: Bradley Smith Millbrook
OF: Nick Helmick Skyline*
DH: Reagan Potts Handley*
UT: Barry Smallwood Skyline

2013 All-NWD

FIRST TEAM
1st - Justin Angel, Sherando
2nd - Jacob Carney, Sherando
SS - Jacob Rudolph, Handley
3rd - Trenton Burgreen, Millbrook
C - Chase Smallwood, Sherando
OF - Reid Entsminger, Sherando
OF - Nick Helmick, Skyline
OF - Ryan Hartigan, Millbrok
P - John Bentley, Sherando
P - Reid Entsminger, Sherando
Utility - Chaz Rutherford, Skline
DH - Zach Hughes, Millbrook
SECOND TEAM
1st - Jacob Funkhouser, Handley
2nd - Russell Repasky, James Wood
SS - Talor Loudan, Sherando
3rd - Dakota Orndorff, James Wood
C - Andrew Lins, Handley
OF - Jeb Brown, Shernado
OF - Adam Whitacre, Sherando
OF - Hunter Stewart, Skyline
OF - Daniel Nawrocki, Millbrook
OF - Kacee Duggan, James Wood
P - Daniel Nawrocki, Millbrook
P - Addison Barber, James Wood
Utility - Taylor Loudan, Sherando
DH - Sterling Jennings, Skyline

I thought it would be interesting to compare the two lists. You will notice that some of the guys that were on the list last year isn't on the list this year and vice versa. The big thing you will see is this year's POY wasn't on either list (1st or 2nd team) last year. So I guess you can applaud the coaches for not automatically selecting or assuming that if a kid was on the team one year that the next year is automatic. With both years I still ask the same question "who would you take off the list"? Every year there will be arguments but I think in comparing both years and with "Terps" explanation of a coach is allowed to nominate a player as a positional player and utility I guess you can say things are fair on the list (IMO). One thing that is not at our disposal are stats? I believe having the stats of each player would help clear out some things also.

Hard to argue with the choices, however with the placement of some players, I don't agree. I would have put Helmick as DH- but it doesn't really matter . Wish everyone a great region tournament. And 21 base, lets not forget - the Pitchers are the ones that actually throw the ball- just sayin.
wink.r191677.gif

A free tip

@hamspear: Catchers guide pitchers through, they call pitches (I believe Chase gets this chance more than 50 percent), they keep the rest of the infield on their toes with defensive setups and situations. You ever heard of catchers being like coaches on the field? Now, you have.

No tools of ignorance here.

just sayin, bro.

Re: A free tip

I agree with you 100 percent, they do that. But at the high school level , catchers are more micro managed. It was certainly a tough call, I am glad it was the other coaches in the Northwestern that did the voting. I wouldn't want to be the guy in my own school making the decision between "my" guys. It was a good list, time for playoffs.

Re: A free tip

@base and ham - I can't believe I'm doing this but I must agree with hammy on this one
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT