ADVERTISEMENT

2014 vs. 2005 Salem

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
I read that quote from Coach Mags stating this year's team was his best team. Was he the coach of the 2005 team? I feel like that team with Gaines and Chaney was better, especially defensively, against a tougher regular-season schedule.

I think 98, 04, 14 are the top 3 Salem teams. Mags took over in 2003 or 2004, not sure which. He coached against us in the 2004 first round game. That team was probably the best team I played against in HS, right next to 2003 Fleming and 2002 Heritage. Matt Shawver, Andre Hairston, Bryan Webb, D'Juan Smith, Keith Gaines, Joey Daniels, Tony Spradlin, Dustin Pickle, that 2004 team is probably the best collection of skilled players Salem's ever had. Webb was the only guy that played both ways which set them apart from other teams, they were deep. The 98 mules were the best to come through that school and what puts them over the top IMO of other Salem teams. Salem faithful have better idea than me as they watched all the game during those years and I didn't but from my eyes, 98 and 04 were the two best Salem teams with this past years team just behind those two.

I agree with you One man. Those 3 teams would probably be ranked 1,2,3 on my list as well. However, I think what really sets the 98 team apart from the other 2 was their defense (Best I've seen at AA level). This years Salem team was more explosive offensively but unlike this years team the 98 team did not have a single weakness on either side of the ball and were very very deep. They 98 team had 1 player go both ways (Jamie Garst). Just to show how deep they were.. I think they graduated 16-17 starters from that team and the next year Salem won State again. This years Salem team paired 98 defense would have been a sight to see.

Originally posted by SalemPride:
I agree with you One man. Those 3 teams would probably be ranked 1,2,3 on my list as well. However, I think what really sets the 98 team apart from the other 2 was their defense (Best I've seen at AA level). This years Salem team was more explosive offensively but unlike this years team the 98 team did not have a single weakness on either side of the ball and were very very deep. They 98 team had 1 player go both ways (Jamie Garst). Just to show how deep they were.. I think they graduated 16-17 starters from that team and the next year Salem won State again. This years Salem team paired 98 defense would have been a sight to see.
I would also rank them the same way.

The 2004 team had a lot of players that were some of the best at their position to put on a Salem uniform. On offense Shawver at QB, Hairston and RB, Spradlin at WR and Lopez at LT. The offensive line was not big at all but was one of the best at blocking the second level and on the backside as well as pass protection. They were able to use very big splits and get to their assignments which was a big advantage in the running and passing game. Hairston was fantastic running the ball and created many problems in the passing game. Salem always has one good go-to receiver but that year had a very good second WR in Webb. When Salem went four wide they had Spradlin, Webb/Pickle, Smith and Hairston to throw to which was darn good. Joey Daniels was a small FB but good with the ball in his hands.

Defense definitely had some weaknesses but the secondary was very strong. Webb, Pickle, Gaines and Daniels were all very good players and Webb was actually a better safety than Pickle, in my opinion. Rawlins was the best LB in the state and easily the hardest hitter I have ever seen in high school. The defensive line was the weakest unit as NG Everett was dealing with a back injury all season. Salem did not like playing players both ways that year which definitely hurt. Lopez, Tayloe and Thompkins from the OL were probably the best DL but weren't allowed to play both ways.

The special teams was FAR better than this year's Salem team and that is because it had a lot of starters on it. Salem was usually able to pin the opponent inside the 20 after kickoffs and didn't give up any long returns on the kickoff game. I think the punt team gave up one decent return all year and that was against Richlands in the state semi-final and had one punt blocked against Pulaski. Grant Hall was a very solid kicker and punter.

That team was just so clutch whenever it needed a third-down conversion. Spradlin would ALWAYS get open on big plays and simply didn't drop passes. The schedule was so much more difficult than this year's Salem team. Pulaski was still very good then and had Kevin Crouse at RB, Christiansburg was very good and beat Salem by one point (Game was probably the worst officiated HS game I have EVER seen but I digress) Cave Spring was awesome and Hidden Valley was very good that year and easily beat Pulaski. Also played a decent Brookville team early in the year. The playoffs had a tough Liberty-Bedford team (I believe you were on that team one man?) then Amherst who I believe was the best team Salem played all year. Very similar talent and speed wise to this year's LT team and actually ran a similar defense. Richlands in the semi-finals was probably the easiest playoff opponent but weren't shabby at all. Harrisonburg in the state championship game had a HUGE front 7 and hadn't been run on all year and Salem ran all over them in the state championship game. Salem completely dominated that game but the score ended up being a lot closer than it should have.

In conclusion, the 2004 team I think was the most athletic Salem has ever had. The defense had some weaknesses but was still a good unit. The competition was just awesome that year throughout the entire season. Salem actually went undefeated and won the state championship the next year but if you talk to any player from both teams, they would tell you the 2004 team was stronger.

These are all solid opinions. I'd go with:

1. 1998
2. 1999
3. 2004
4. 2005

The '99 team averaged right at 40 ppg, and allowed only seven ppg. As Shabutie noted, the '04 team, in the championship against Harrisonburg, turned what should have been a comfortable win into a nailbiting squeaker, surviving a missed FG attempt by H'burg at the end. In contrast, the '99 team pulled out a title game win against Park View, in what could have been a blowout loss. PV got up 14-0 less than six minutes into the game. Until Saturday, I thought PV '99 was the best AA/4A team Salem had ever played. I would now drop them down below Lake Taylor '14.

IMHO, this year's Salem team - prior to all the late injuries - had the best offensive squad in school history. Yes, almost all the regular season opponents were down, to varying degrees. Still - in the regular season, Salem averaged 48.4 ppg. With essentially one hand tied behind its back, due to early and frequent subs, and the running clock. Had the starters averaged even three quarters of play, and there had been no running clock, the Spartans very likely would have averaged over 60 ppg. That's pretty impressive, considering the previous best average ppg was that 39.6 posted by the '99 team.

The 2014 Salem defense keeps this year's team from being in the top five all-time Salem teams. The defense wasn't bad, by any stretch. Just not the top-level unit that would have been needed to give Lake Taylor a really good fight.

Yep, 2004 was my senior year

That was my last HS game. One of my worst to boot, I dropped a slant and should have caught a TD but feet got caught up with Pickle in the secondary and we both fell down. Same night as the Pistons-Pacers brawl, then I came down with the flu the very next day. That Salem team was really good though, they shut our run game down outside of OB Blake being well, OB Blake. We didn't pass enough that game to keep them honest and we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down to save our lives. Shawver was like 11-15 with 7 of the 11 completions coming on 3rd down and going for first downs or TDs. He had the best arm of a QB I played against. We beat that Amherst team that year too, 16-14 in the regular season. They were super athletic but still young that year, the following two years they showed out. The quality of talented teams in our area in D4/4A from 2002-2005 was much better than the current level. You had Salem, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Fleming, Liberty, Amherst, Heritage, Magna Vista that all had D1 caliber players on the roster year in and year out. 2003 I believe Salem missed playoffs at 8-2, as did Amherst at 8-2. 04, Pulaski or Blacksburg and Heritage missed at 7-3, 8-2 respectively. Those were the days, lol. Good memories.

Re: Yep, 2004 was my senior year

Pulaski stayed home in 2004 at 8-2. Salem won 30-3 at PC in the last week of the season in what was basically a playoff game; had Salem lost, they would have been the ones to stay home. 2003 really hurt. Salem lost on a FG to Blacksburg with about fifteen seconds left, to miss the playoffs for the second straight year. Salem had crushed Fleming, who would go on to lose to Powhatan 6-0 in the state final. William Byrd beat Salem that year for the Spartans' first loss, so that was really the only one of all those upset losses to Byrd that came home to roost in a big way.

As far as your Liberty team of '04, I thought you and Amherst were about dead even. I'd rate Richlands a little behind both of you, and Harrisonburg a tiny bit behind Richlands. All four were darn good teams. Probably the best overall competition Salem's played in the playoffs, although this year might be right up there, too (after C'ville in the first round). Lake Taylor's resume is obvious, and I'd say Woodgrove, GW, and Liberty were all somewhere between "very good" and "excellent", when comparing them to all of the 4A schools as a whole.

That sums it up very well. Merry X-mas all.
With Ramsey & Clayborne running the ball
next year, we will be back.

Most athletic team 98 athletes on both sides of the ball. Big o line but defensive speed was tremendous. This years salem team best offense but way down the line on defense.

Thanks for the interesting responses. I mentioned the 2005 Salem team because that's the only other Salem team I've personally seen besides this and last year's. I wish I were old enough to have seen that '98 team, but I was 10 years old, ha. I played on the '05 Louisa team and I was really hoping to meet Salem that year, but it wasn't meant to be. We had a better offense than any Region II team and Powhatan that year, but our defense fell apart near the end of the season. I remember that 68-40 game against a terrible William Monroe team like it was yesterday. I still cringe.
This post was edited on 12/15 8:06 PM by HoosFan05

Salem 98 defense 10 defensive shutouts gave up 64 points in 14 games. Big tackles (260 both of them)speed everywhere else (defensive end 300 m hurdles state champ) state defensive player of the year at middle linebacker. Fast quick corners both first team all district and region. Great ki king game.

Didn't realize you were that young. So did you play on the 06' Louisa team that played against Amherst?

Originally posted by wikki:

Didn't realize you were that young. So did you play on the 06' Louisa team that played against Amherst?
I graduated in 2006, so the '05 team was my last year.

Didn't the 1987 Salem team lose to Hampton 14-0 in the state finals? I think that Salem team is the best team in Salem history.

86 good team. Very tough. Two uva players on team. Very good o line because it was so long ago people forget about them. I saw them and they were a typical Willis white team. Toug . Good on defense rran ball off tackle but probably not best

1999 gets pushed aside far more than it should. They lost buckets of size and talent from that '98 squad and all they did was streamroll to another title and another perfect season.

1998 is #1 with ease, though.

Originally posted by one man:
That was my last HS game. One of my worst to boot, I dropped a slant and should have caught a TD but feet got caught up with Pickle in the secondary and we both fell down. Same night as the Pistons-Pacers brawl, then I came down with the flu the very next day. That Salem team was really good though, they shut our run game down outside of OB Blake being well, OB Blake. We didn't pass enough that game to keep them honest and we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down to save our lives. Shawver was like 11-15 with 7 of the 11 completions coming on 3rd down and going for first downs or TDs. He had the best arm of a QB I played against. We beat that Amherst team that year too, 16-14 in the regular season. They were super athletic but still young that year, the following two years they showed out. The quality of talented teams in our area in D4/4A from 2002-2005 was much better than the current level. You had Salem, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Fleming, Liberty, Amherst, Heritage, Magna Vista that all had D1 caliber players on the roster year in and year out. 2003 I believe Salem missed playoffs at 8-2, as did Amherst at 8-2. 04, Pulaski or Blacksburg and Heritage missed at 7-3, 8-2 respectively. Those were the days, lol. Good memories.
I remember that game well. After the game your big DT that had a VT scholarship (Robertson?) was talking to us after the game. He actually said that one of your coaches could somehow hear the plays we were calling on his headset. The entire first half your defensive players were calling our exact offensive plays, even with the terminology that we specifically used. It was really strange. The next week at Amherst the exact same thing happened in the first half as well but in both those games it didn't happen at all in the second half.

Blake was awesome and you had a couple of great defensive tackles. I actually think #55 (I think) was a better DT than Robertson.

Originally posted by southbottomU:
Salem 98 defense 10 defensive shutouts gave up 64 points in 14 games. Big tackles (260 both of them)speed everywhere else (defensive end 300 m hurdles state champ) state defensive player of the year at middle linebacker. Fast quick corners both first team all district and region. Great ki king game.
Didn't the starting defense only give up like one touchdown before the championship game?

Daryl Robertson is my cousin, currently coaches at EC Glass. Didn't have a #55 on that team, it was either #51, DT Derek Jones(5'11 260) or #52 DE Demetrus Johnson. Derek was sizzlin sophomore of the year for Roanoke times in 2002, all state 2004, would have went to Norfolk St but grades didn't work out. Demetrus played DE and OT at 210 lbs, was all district, honroable mention all region, went to Averett.

not overlooked by me---what that team did was amazing----lost 17 starters from the year before and went 14-0. A good example for next years Salem team. The 99 team was little more explosive offensively because the qb and tailback became seniors but not as good defensively. The 98 team could have been more explosive but chose to ground and pound and play defense. Another way to look at it which of the Salem team would have had the best chance of beating Lake taylor this year or Dinwiddie last year. My choice would be 98 because they would have had the individual talent to match up with Lake Taylor----against Dinwiddie two great defenses would have matched up and the score might have ended up 3-0 one way or the other. This years team just did not have the overall defensive talent needed to beat Lake Taylor----Salem had very good line backer and safety play but did not have a dominant defensive linemen or d-back-----knowledgeable fans in Salem knew that, but we hoped that our offensive play might be enough----when Fox got hurt that became very problematic as the offense lost some of its versatility..

Originally posted by one man:
Daryl Robertson is my cousin, currently coaches at EC Glass. Didn't have a #55 on that team, it was either #51, DT Derek Jones(5'11 260) or #52 DE Demetrus Johnson. Derek was sizzlin sophomore of the year for Roanoke times in 2002, all state 2004, would have went to Norfolk St but grades didn't work out. Demetrus played DE and OT at 210 lbs, was all district, honroable mention all region, went to Averett.
It was #51, awesome player. Definitely one of the best DT combinations I can remember.

This particular (2014) team was excellent. My husband was a rec league coach many years ago and said that this particular group of boys would go to the championship, and they did. We waited for years for this particular group of juniors and seniors to have this specific season. He was saying years ago that the first, second, and third strings would be strong...and they are. Also, it is my understanding that this particular group not only has athletic skill, but most make really great grades. One of the coaches described this group as "a thinking team," adaptable, having good problem solving/quick thinking skills, a keen awareness of the game, etc. Perhaps this may be the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT