ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Quarterbacks

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
The 2017 Class 4 football season has concluded and as teams begin to focus on off season conditioning and 7 v. 7 games I was pondering the quarterback position for 2018. When I looked at the 2017 graduating class I realized Class 4 is losing a lot of talent at the quarterback position. I really don’t know much about Region C and D, so if I forgot someone please forgive me. Bell (Louisa), Fludd (Monacan), Ward (Lafayette), Drew (Smithfield), German (Kings Fork), McCallum (Glass), and Neal (Charlottesville).

Even with these losses there are several top performers coming back. Entsminger (Sherando), Lowry (EV), Gladden (Salem), Johnson (Blacksburg), Poole (GW Danville), Harvey (Lake Taylor), and Pope (Dinwiddie), not to mention, Hunter (Louisa) who faired very well in his appearances as a starter and backup during the 2017 season.

I will start by saying my pick for the best overall quarterback is Entsminger from Sherando. This young man is smart, fast, delivers the ball accurately, and can make all of the throws necessary. Poole and Pope are very alike and could be considered the best dual threat quarterbacks in the this group. Gladden demonstrated improvement all season. He simply plays smart football and wins.. Johnson from Blacksburg lost some weapons, but to my knowledge this will be his third year as a starter. No reason to believe he will not be at the top of the list. Harvey from Lake Taylor is a pure athlete. If he works on ball security and perfects his command of the veer Lake Taylor will be in the thick of things. Hunter, from Louisa is still unproven. The Lions lost a plethora of weapons, but something tells me that Coach Patrick will keep the Lions in the thick of things with this young man. In fact, his ability to accurately make all the throws should enhance Louisa's offense..

With the above being said. Let’s discuss the quarterback situation at each Class 4 school. What newcomer will likely shine? Who will be the best of the best? Who did I forget?

Last edited:
The 2017 Class 4 football season has concluded and as teams begin to focus on off season conditioning and 7 v. 7 games I was pondering the quarterback position for 2018. When I looked at the 2017 graduating class I realized Class 4 is losing a lot of talent at the quarterback position. I really don’t know much about Region C and D, so if I forgot someone please forgive me. Bell (Louisa), Fludd (Monacan), Ward (Lafayette), Drew (Smithfield), German (Kings Fork), McCallum (Glass), and Neal (Charlottesville).

Even with these losses there are several top performers coming back. Entsminger (Sherando), Lowry (EV), Gladden (Salem), Johnson (Blacksburg), Poole (GW Danville), Harvey (Lake Taylor), and Pope (Dinwiddie), not to mention, Hunter (Louisa) who faired very well in his appearances as a starter and backup during the 2017 season.

I will start by saying my pick for the best overall quarterback is Entsminger form Sherando. This young man is smart, fast, delivers the ball accurately, and can make all of the throws necessary. Poole and Pope are very alike and could be considered the best dual threat quarterbacks in the this group. Gladden demonstrated improvement all season. He simply plays smart football and wins.. Johnson from Blacksburg lost some weapons, but to my knowledge this will be his third year as a starter. No reason to believe he will not be at the top of the list. Harvey from Lake Taylor is a pure athlete and if he works on ball security, perfects his command of the veer Lake Taylor will be in the thick of things. Hunter, from Louisa is still unproven. The Lions lost a plethora of weapons, but something tells me the Coach Patrick will keep the Lions in the thick of things with this young man. In fact, his ability to accurately make all the throws should enhance Louisa's offense..

With the above being said. Let’s discuss the quarterback situation at each Class 4 school. What newcomer will likely shine? Who will be the best of the best? Who did I forget?
Good stuff as always Navy. I believe Carlos Poole is the best QB in 4a. Size, arm strength/accuracy, smarts (only threw 3 picks all year) , speed (4.45 40) , whole nine. Salem welcomed him to big boy football and was the only team to contain him all year. Expect his numbers to go up with Watlington a year older and a very good receiver who missed all of last year (Elam) to give Poole added depth. Poole and Pope are the best read option QBs in VA. Poole will get his fair share of carries along with Wesley Graves who will be one of the better RBs in 4a next year.

Good stuff as always Navy. I believe Carlos Poole is the best QB in 4a. Size, arm strength/accuracy, smarts (only threw 3 picks all year) , speed (4.45 40) , whole nine. Salem welcomed him to big boy football and was the only team to contain him all year. Expect his numbers to go up with Watlington a year older and a very good receiver who missed all of last year (Elam) to give Poole added depth. Poole and Pope are the best read option QBs in VA. Poole will get his fair share of carries along with Wesley Graves who will be one of the better RBs in 4a next year.
DSH, I have seen some video on Poole, but would like to see more. Have any idea where to find it? He has nice size, speed, and has a ton of upside. The only negative I see in Poole's game is reading coverage's. In the spread you generally throw to space based on reads. Salem mixed zone coverage with man and that caused him a bit of trouble. Based on the game video Entsminger from Sherando had the same issues. Says a ton about how the Salem coaching staff can develop a game plan to neutralize a sound quarterback.

I am going to try to make some of the better 7-7 tournaments within a reasonable driving distance this spring and summer. Hope to bring some fair and insightful information to the posters regarding the quarterbacks, receivers, defensive backs and linebackers.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DSH, I have seen some video on Poole, but would like to see more. Have any idea where to find it? He has nice size, speed, and has a ton of upside. The only negative I see in Poole's game is reading coverage's. In the spread you generally throw to space based on reads. Salem mixed zone coverage with man and that caused him a bit of trouble. Based on the game video Entsminger from Sherando had the same issues. Says a ton about how the Salem coaching staff can develop a game plan to neutralize a sound quarterback.

I am going to try to make some of the better 7-7 tournaments within a reasonable driving distance this spring and summer. Hope to bring some fair and insightful information to the posters regarding the quarterbacks, receivers, defensive backs and linebackers.
I see the same things you see with Poole reading coverages. He quit playing basketball where he can focus being a college QB. He’ll get better. This is the only thing I can find on Los. He’ll have up some spring practice/7 vs. 7 videos up in the summer.

Looking good. That offense is going to be really good. I hope they work on that defense just as much hehe
Defense should be much better. Carl Poole Jr. has a lot of Thomas Patterson in him and vice versa. Him and Zi Gunter may be the hardest hitting linebackers in D, maybe west of Dinwiddie/Louisa, now that TPatt has graduated. We’ll see how good that D improves early. JF, who will be loaded on the offensive side of the ball, and Amherst who I believe will be a lot better than last year will be a measuring stick for GW's D.

Reactions: lyhsports
I like Johnston, Poole and Gladden for 2018. At least in region D. Not 100% sure who plays QB at Glass, but it Should be Dresean Kendrick. If he plays QB, he’ll make a great case for one of the top qbs in Class 4.
I was wondering about Kendrick. He would surely add a different dimension to the offense from the qb position. I remember his father gashing Dinwiddie as a player. Glass mauled the Generals from the opening kickoff. Long drive to see a real butt whipping, but the Glass team was sure fun to watch.

I know JF used two or three qb's this year. They should have some experience coming back. How about LCA?

Lowry from EV should have a great year. He played very well in his first year on varsity. His first big test came against Dinwiddie and he did extremely well considering the Cyclones didn't get much done on the ground. Putting 37 points on the board against the Generals is pretty good. I don't see anyone in the Battlefield being able to deal with that next year. He'll have some good receivers to sling it to, and considering the loss of D'Ago Hunter, he'll probably have more rushing yards.

Lowry from EV should have a great year. He played very well in his first year on varsity. His first big test came against Dinwiddie and he did extremely well considering the Cyclones didn't get much done on the ground. Putting 37 points on the board against the Generals is pretty good. I don't see anyone in the Battlefield being able to deal with that next year. He'll have some good receivers to sling it to, and considering the loss of D'Ago Hunter, he'll probably have more rushing yards.
Yes, he did 86Culpgrad. Lowry, made some really good touch throws and zipped it in there we he had too. Seemed to have a sound grasp of the offense and looked off defenders fairly well. EV is in good hands.

Defense should be much better. Carl Poole Jr. has a lot of Thomas Patterson in him and vice versa. Him and Zi Gunter may be the hardest hitting linebackers in D, maybe west of Dinwiddie/Louisa, now that TPatt has graduated. We’ll see how good that D improves early. JF, who will be loaded on the offensive side of the ball, and Amherst who I believe will be a lot better than last year will be a measuring stick for GW's D.

Most definitely. If they can just hold JF to 35 pts, I would call them legit. I'll have to see if I can catch a GW game this year. Maybe I can see them when they travel to JF.

I was wondering about Kendrick. He would surely add a different dimension to the offense from the qb position. I remember his father gashing Dinwiddie as a player. Glass mauled the Generals from the opening kickoff. Long drive to see a real butt whipping, but the Glass team was sure fun to watch.

I know JF used two or three qb's this year. They should have some experience coming back. How about LCA?

Kendrick had some really good moments at QB this past season. Most would argue that he should've been QB since the start. Everyone thought he was going to be the starter, then Woody started MacCallum. MacCallum had a great arm, but when the pressure was put on, he didn't make good decisions with the football. I think at the end of the year he had 18 TDs and 15 INTs. He did very good for a qb that hadn't played since little league. Kendrick didn't throw the ball much, but he showed that he could open up the running game for himself, and for other players. When Glass was down 17-0 against Brookville, Coach Woody placed Kendrick in at quarterback. Minutes later the score was 17-14, after he ran a touchdown and had a Pick six. In the LCA game, the Glass offense could not move the ball and were down 14-0. Kendrick became the quarterback and brought Glass back in the game. Kendrick led the offense in TDs(outside of MacCallum), and I believe over half of his touchdowns were scored when he was lined up at quarterback. Just think of how much more he will produce when he lines up at QB more than 2 series a game AND he throws the ball!

I don't think it will matter who JF puts at QB since they run the wishbone. Just throw it to the wide open guy in play action! LCA graduated a great quarterback in Rylan Stamm, but I've seen the other qb throw. He's got a nice arm. Stamm had plenty of time to throw the ball and had much success in that offense(which I like). I think LCA will be good at quarterback.

Gladden from Salem will be really good if they can find an elite receiver to throw to. Will have a 6 5 tight end to throw to and he should be exceptional

Gladden from Salem will be really good if they can find an elite receiver to throw to. Will have a 6 5 tight end to throw to and he should be exceptional
Very good point. Close came on strong late in the season and made some great catches. Don't think any elite receiver will show up on the Spartans door, but I wouldnt be surprised if a few sound players are waiting in the wings. Having someone who can go and get the deep ball may be an issue, but I am sure there are some sound route runners in the flock. Thats all it really takes in Mags offense.

Well your wrong, love ya Dsh

I will start by saying my pick for the best overall quarterback is Entsminger from Sherando. This young man is smart, fast, delivers the ball accurately, and can make all of the throws necessary. Poole and Pope are very alike and could be considered the best dual threat quarterbacks in the this group. Gladden demonstrated improvement all season. He simply plays smart football and wins.. Johnson from Blacksburg lost some weapons, but to my knowledge this will be his third year as a starter. No reason to believe he will not be at the top of the list. Harvey from Lake Taylor is a pure athlete. If he works on ball security and perfects his command of the veer Lake Taylor will be in the thick of things. Hunter, from Louisa is still unproven. The Lions lost a plethora of weapons, but something tells me that Coach Patrick will keep the Lions in the thick of things with this young man. In fact, his ability to accurately make all the throws should enhance Louisa's offense..

I wouldn’t leave Kade Akers (Pulaski co) out of the discussion. His stats are as good as the rest and better than most. Rocket for an arm.

@pcken, I watched two game videos (Salem and Blacksburg) and found Akers to be a sound quarterback. Yes, the offense will help him pile up numbers, but the kid still has to make the throws. He has good size, can run and appears to have a sound grasp of the offense.. The young man has a quick release and accurately delivers the ball on short routes. He seems to rush when under pressure, but can throw on the run. He does make some risky throws; however, I personally like a quarterback who will occasionally thread the needle. This kid is fun to watch and will only get better as the game slows down for him. If he works on his mechanics (arm slot, and footwork), and accuracy on balls of 20+ yards he could get a ton of looks from colleges. Pulaski surely needs to balance things out a bit. If I am a defensive coordinator I play zone and force Akers receivers to find the holes.

Reactions: cb2018
Just so posters don't think I am being too critical of others quarterbacks I will provide my analysis of Dinwiddie's quarterback K'ymon "Peety" Pope.

Demographics:
6'0"
200 lbs.
Dual Threat
Rising Senior
13 career starts

Statistics: 2017
Passing:
119/211, 1949 yards (150 per game) .564 completion %, 19 touchdowns and 8 interceptions
Rushing: 135 for 1043 yards (80 yards per game) and 16 touchdowns

Positives:
Strong
Very good speed
Elusive
Nice touch on short and intermediate routes
Hard worker
High football IQ

Areas needing improvement:
Arm strength
Mechanics and footwork
Reducing turnovers (forced balls)
Looking off defenders
Pocket awareness

Summary:
K'Ymon is very difficult to defend. His speed and athleticism can cause nightmares for defenses. He had a very successful season as a first time starter. Two years ago Coach Mills described K'ymon as a rare find and quickly explained by saying he makes "crazy" plays. If one watches his highlight reel you will find this to be evident as he leaves viewers asking how did he do that? With that being said his gunslinger style also lead me to occasionally question why did he do that? I must say he impressed more than he disappointed. This kid is a gamer and had his best performances against playoff qualifying teams. Louisa's high pressure defense was the only team to really contain him; however; he did throw for 249 yards with three touchdowns and no turnovers.

Going forward "Peetey" needs to continue working on his throwing mechanics. His grip is odd and the ball appears to come out of the back of his hand. I look for teams to pressure and put a spy on him to reduce his running ability. With another summer of preparation Pope should improve his defensive reads and develop the ability to look off defenders. With the expected maturation of last years receivers he could have an even better year in the passing game. I am sure his athleticism will garner some major attention from colleges. I wouldn't trade him for the world; however, I am not sold on the fact that he will be a top quarterback recruit. Time, maturity and progress will be the key.

Last edited:
That’s a very good summary BN, after I get permission , or not. I will give you the breakdown on the Sherando QB.
Thank you. For those who have seen him play and progress it will likely be a good year for the Sherando team.

I was doing a bit more research and saw where Deep Creek has their starting quarterback Tesean Jones (5'10 166) and backup Michael Eure (6'0 180) back this year. The "Creek" had a good 2017 season and both of these guys proved capable quarterbacks. Also Robinson from Millbrook will be a senior. Can anyone give us breakdown of these guys?

Since we're talking backups, GW Danville has a good one coming. Rising sophomore Sha'coby Hairston is the real deal! 6'1 190 already and will probably grow a few more inches over the next 2-3 summers (long arms and frame; still a freshman) and can run and sling it. Will be Poole's successor meaning a year to learn the system and will have 2 years to lead the Eagles. Hopefully we don't lose him to Dan River :mad:

He look's really good on film! How tall is he?
He's closer to 6'4 than 6'3 but I'd imagine he'll be at least 6'5 when the season starts. Must know something we don't about football, he's one of the better basketball players that I've seen come through Danville this decade, but he didn't play to focus on football. Believe it or not his twin brother, Carl, is actually the better football player. Plays the linebacker/safety position (he's about 6' 225). If he had Los's height, he'd be a sure NFL prospect.

@pcken, I watched two game videos (Salem and Blacksburg) and found Akers to be a sound quarterback. Yes, the offense will help him pile up numbers, but the kid still has to make the throws. He has good size, can run and appears to have a sound grasp of the offense.. The young man has a quick release and accurately delivers the ball on short routes. He seems to rush when under pressure, but can throw on the run. He does make some risky throws; however, I personally like a quarterback who will occasionally thread the needle. This kid is fun to watch and will only get better as the game slows down for him. If he works on his mechanics (arm slot, and footwork), and accuracy on balls of 20+ yards he could get a ton of looks from colleges. Pulaski surely needs to balance things out a bit. If I am a defensive coordinator I play zone and force Akers receivers to find the holes.
Nice analysis. Thanks for taking the time to watch him on film. We should have a much better running game this year which I think should help him immensely. PC had almost no running game last year and teams knew we would throw so it was easier to get pressure on him. Much better linemen are on the way from the jv team.

I really like Akers game. A balanced attack would make him two times as dangerous. Stay tuned. Since its going to rain all weekend I may do a comparison of all the qbs I have seen live or on tape. Had an old coach sit with me today and look at some of these guys to provide feedback.

While Javon Harvey is a good selection he was moved to WR after the Phoebus game last year and Freshman Jeff Foster finished the season for LT. Harvey is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands, but Jeff is a tremendous athlete and really took command of the offense after inserted into the spot.

Hunter Entsminger junior highlights

6’1” 185 pounds
164 completions 238 attempts 2736 total yards 68.9 completion percentage 33 touchdowns 6 interceptions. 95 rushes 353 total yards 4 tds rushing.
Strengths-
Intelligent
Accurate passer
Good decision maker
Strong arm
Runs well when he has to, deceptive speed.
Loves baseball, very good pitcher.

Reactions: lyhsports
The Courtland QB is flying under the radar, if not for the system and coaching styl he plays ubder, this kid would be on most people must see players list. Scary runner and huge arm and when utilized he more often than not produces huge plays. Lord willing, JC will loosen the rains some this year for him. With the offensive talent they have returning especially in the backfield, cuttibg him loose on some option plays or QB runs will put a ton of extra pressure on defenses.

Thanks CourtlandCougar1987. Maybe this young man can get the Cougars back on track. Its hard to evaluate wing qbs as they throw very little and the offense does not involve mutiple receivers.

Louisa's wing qb (Bell) was unfairly valued by a lot of us and he showed just how good he was. It wasnt just the system, Bell could play. He wasnt the most accurate passer, but he fooled me with nice touch. The problem is college coaches just dont recruit wing qb's to play qb. Its great for high school teams, but it simply doesnt translate to advanced levels. Good luck to this young man and the Cougars in 2018.

I really like Akers game. A balanced attack would make him two times as dangerous. Stay tuned. Since its going to rain all weekend I may do a comparison of all the qbs I have seen live or on tape. Had an old coach sit with me today and look at some of these guys to provide feedback.
Navy, where’s the info? I’ve been looking forward to it

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT