ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 top eight (8) hoops teams in each region.

I am talking about teams in the last ten years. To say that none of those teams could compete with the 2019-2020 JM team is a position I just can’t agree with at all. I’m at the state finals every year.

That's certainly you're right, we will never know the answer but we will have a better gauge after the season.

I am asking because I do not know. The teams that you named were wonderful 2A teams but how many of them played 6A, 5A and 4A teams on a regular basis and how many of them played in tournaments that included great private school teams and nationally ranked teams from other states.

GC usually plays in the Arby's Classic which often features excellent private school teams and nationally ranked public schools before district play starts. But once M7 play starts, the travel to take on such teams is too much.

Gate City does not play Virginia teams that are that size, but they HAVE played home and homes this year (8 games in all) with Tennessee schools that are that size.

Dobyns-Bennett (would be legit Virginia 6A, Gate City swept them this season)
Science Hill (would be legit Virginia 6A, currently ranked #3 in the TSSAA AP rankings in Class 3A, Gate City lost to them the first time, still have to play them the second time)
Daniel Boone (would be legit Virginia 5A, Gate City lost to them the first time, still have to play them the second time)
Sullivan East (would be legit Virginia 4A, Gate City swept them this season)

Last edited:
Reactions: BigWinners
I think Martinsville has played a more competitive schedule than Radford or Dan River. I'll be anxious to see the points as well.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I really don’t believe Region A has a lot to worry about when it comes to winning the championship this year.
It is going to be John Marshall and everyone else. No one, especially in Region C or D has the personnel to even come close to matching up with what JM has.
If I am their coach I am definitely not worried one bit. Sierra Canyon, Trinity Episcopal, Oscar Smith on the schedule and then people wonder if they could beat Dan River, Martinsville, Radford? Not even going to begin to mention Region D teams with this group. It would be absurd to do so.
If the rest of the state had to be ranked outside of the state champion John Marshall Justices I would probably rank it as:

#1 - John Marshall - Easily so so very easily Class 2 State Champs.

#2 - Dan River - State runnerup
#3 - Martinsville
#4 - East Rockingham
#5 - Stuart’s Draft
#6 - Graham
#7 - Buckingham
#8 - Brunswick
#9 - Central Wise
#10 - Radford
#11 - Floyd County
#12 - Central Woodstock
#13 - Gate City
#14 - Lee
#15 - Fort Chiswrll

I really don’t believe Region A has a lot to worry about when it comes to winning the championship this year.
It is going to be John Marshall and everyone else. No one, especially in Region C or D has the personnel to even come close to matching up with what JM has.
If I am their coach I am definitely not worried one bit. Sierra Canyon, Trinity Episcopal, Oscar Smith on the schedule and then people wonder if they could beat Dan River, Martinsville, Radford? Not even going to begin to mention Region D teams with this group. It would be absurd to do so.
If the rest of the state had to be ranked outside of the state champion John Marshall Justices I would probably rank it as:

#3 - Martinsville
#4 - East Rockingham
#5 - Stuart’s Draft
#6 - Graham
#7 - Buckingham
#8 - Brunswick
#9 - Central Wise
#10 - Radford
#11 - Floyd County
#12 - Central Woodstock
#13 - Gate City
#14 - Lee
#15 - Fort Chiswrll

Your rankings are not very good from sixth down. Graham will struggle to beat the Mountain 7 #4 seed in the first round of region and you have them at 6. Gate City hasn't lost a district game since 2015, including Wise Central earlier this year, and you have Wise Central at 9 and Gate City at 13? Lee High has been on a significant downfall since winning the Grand Tournament back in December and are currently next to last place in the Mountain 7 and are in danger of not even making it to Region D.

#3 - Martinsville
#4 - East Rockingham
#5 - Stuart’s Draft
#6 - Graham
#7 - Buckingham
#8 - Brunswick
#9 - Central Wise
#10 - Radford
#11 - Floyd County
#12 - Central Woodstock
#13 - Gate City
#14 - Lee
#15 - Fort Chiswrll

You have Central Woodstock in your Top 15 and they're a 3A school

Reactions: MCAthletics
The blue bloods of 2a Brunswick, lee and martinsville would have had past teams that would have been able to run with them.
JM also has past teams that would run away from those teams. I have JM as the heavy favorite this yr. Past yrs don't matter.

what about Martinsville and Dan River?
Those are two strong teams as well. But ER has so much size and are pretty deep. Their bigs can go outside and hit threes with consistence. McNair is a heckuva floor general. Nickels will get his against about anybody.

I’ve said it before, I don’t THINK ER will beat JM but I THINK they can on a given night.

JM also has past teams that would run away from those teams. I have JM as the heavy favorite this yr. Past yrs don't matter.
I assume you mean to be contradictory in pointing out that “past teams would run away...” and then state that “...past years don’t matter.” ? Good one!

I think East Rockingham probably has the best shot of at least playing with JM. Doubt they win but I believe it would be competitive.

The problem I see with ER is that they haven't played much of anyone for the last several weeks. The last true test they had was almost a month ago against Northside - and they lost.

The problem I see with ER is that they haven't played much of anyone for the last several weeks. The last true test they had was almost a month ago against Northside - and they lost.
They did lose to Northside but...they played a VERY physical game the prior night. Not making any excuses. Just a little insight.

I think their Achilles heel is they lack a true, physical center. They have plenty of size but more finesse types than bangers.

That being said, they sure can shoot it at all positions.

I assume you mean to be contradictory in pointing out that “past teams would run away...” and then state that “...past years don’t matter.” ? Good one!
gentlemen it is February so all talk will soon cease and everything will be decided on the court - I cannot wait.

Reactions: MCAthletics
I’m really looking forward to the post season. There is always a surprise or two along the way.

I hope the best 4 teams make it to the state semis. Every now and then, a “stud” slips up and looses to someone they should have beaten.

Gate City just beat Wise Central by a comfortable margin in Wise, ranking Wise ahead of GC would be asinine.

VHSL Top Tens - Entering 2/7/20 Action
Class 2 Top Ten:
Rank School Record (thru 2/6)
1 John Marshall 17-2
2 East Rockingham 18-2
3 Dan River 18-2
4 Radford 16-2
5 Gate City 14-5
6 Martinsville 13-4
7 Buckingham 17-3
8 Greensville 16-4
9 Graham 14-6
10 Fort Chiswell 13-5

I was responding to the past teams statement by saying JM has had really good teams in the past too. Only this yrs team matters so why even bring up the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT